The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

12 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

Marble Bar had 26 consecutive days over 43 degrees C, then a little relief yesterday when it got to only 42.5 C.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-15/hottest-town-marble-bar-26-days-over-43-degrees/103313608

Ahhhh, blessed relief!

When my niece was visiting Melbourne many years ago, I took her to the Melbourne Zoo on a 43 degree day. When we went into the Butterfly House, that was a relief for both of us because they keep that at a cool 36 degrees! 🤣

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Marble Bar had 26 consecutive days over 43 degrees C, then a little relief yesterday when it got to only 42.5 C.

Phoenix*, Arizona (a substantially larger metropolis than Marble Bar**) had 31 consecutive days over 110°F / 43.3°C last summer.  They had a total of 54 days over 110°F for the season.

* 1.7 million residents / metro is 4.7 million

** 927 residents

579 people died from the heat in Maricopa County (Arizona) in 2023.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

One small thing which is often overlooked in extreme temperatures is expansion. 

Yes we know it happens. But the effects upon public transport can be crippling. Rail buckles are common and commonly dealt with by pouring water onto the rail to cool it sufficiently to be replaced. 

What of the overheads?  Copper wire expands and sags. There are weighted slack-adjusters but they can only adjust so far. 

I have found myself (along with many others) trapped when the overhead wires for Melbourne’s trams sagged to below the safe operating limit. The pan (or pole in older times) can only offer so much upward pressure. If it is forced down by hot sagging copper the roof-mounted traction kit may be damaged or a short-circuit through the tram body may occur. 

A “live tram” is one of the most dangerous situations possible. It cannot be touched until the traction power is isolated and earthing bonds attached. Try that on a busy city street with lots of people around and some of those trying to get on or off the affected tram. 

The same happens on the railways too. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

One small thing which is often overlooked in extreme temperatures is expansion. 

Portland has the opposite problem right now. The local Trimet Max light rail (trams by another name) are out of commission with buses operating with chains.

Despite ice cutters on the pans, they have real problems with maintaining contact in icy weather and despite improvements have lots of problems with frozen points.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

So the poor little pig  got smacked into the green thing twice , came close 

to hitting the wall  and if the snake had let go it  could have been ejected out

of the garden and never seen again .

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

to hitting the wall  and if the snake had let go it  could have been ejected out

Cute Little Dougie Dog would have chewed the snake in two, looking for its squeak!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I'm surprised it didn't stagger off diagonally for a few steps then fall over sideways like I would have if it had been me.

Alls well that ends will, she and her none-the-worse Guinea Pig got to be on every morning TV show..

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 06/02/2024 at 23:10, Sidecar Racer said:

That's why I never volunteer to be the guinea pig😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 2

15 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Surely it's better sense to steal FULL kegs, THEN dispose of the empties at the scrap merchant!

Much harder to steal. Much heavier and not usually left out in the open for crimes of opportunity.

The real problem is the scrap dealers who will accept and pay for them. Just like the scrap dealers who will accept and pay for catalytic converters cut out from parked cars. There is no market for this kind of property crime without dodgy scrap dealers and is relatively easy for police to stop if they want to invest in it. A summons for the scrap dealer in question would go a long way.

In a given city it's very likely a small number of scrap merchants (perhaps just one) and a small number of thieves.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In a given city it's very likely a small number of scrap merchants (perhaps just one) and a small number of thieves.

Probably true for Australia which doesn’t have the Traveller population many European and British nations do. 

If you want to find a dodgy scrappie look no further than the nearest site. 

Not all Travellers are dodgy nor scrappies. Few enough will deal beyond their own communities and trusted friends. 

And not all dodgy scrappies are Travellers although it is known (including by police) that many are. The legit ones mostly now hold the required licences and won’t get far without them. 

I lived and worked closely with a local Traveller community for several years. I became friends with their leaders and was able, in their company, to enter their site unchallenged. We got as far as sharing meals together; they never came into my home which was a share-house but we would sit outside, eat takeaway and talk. They smoked; they always offered me and I always respectfully declined.  Producing the asthma inhaler avoided any diplomatic incidents!  

I knew their trades. I knew to ask no questions. And they came to know that I would neither tell anyone beyond their community nor betray their trust. 

An awful lot of scrap metal came and went from that site. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

When many fire stations are increasingly finding it difficult to get volunteers, you don't try this cheapskate trick!

Worse was to deny it, when letters have been sent out!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-12/cfa-backflips-on-cost-cutting-decision-to-remove-sanitary-bins/103452160

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3