Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

Death by Blue ring Octopus sounds pretty ghastly, in that it paralyses you yet you remain totally conscious throughout.

So your body stops responding and after about 30 minutes  eventually you can no longer breathe as your muscles shut down, but you can still see and hear through the whole process..

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The Irukandji sting is far worse, although usually not fatal. The venom causes excruciating muscle cramps that can last for weeks, a burning sensation all over the skin and an overwhelming sense of impending doom. The latter prompts many patients to beg doctors to end their suffering.

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, kevinlms said:

He admitted to police in an interview shown to the court that he and his wife had "burned through most of their savings".

Obviously!

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

He'll still have a roof over his head for the next few years, with bars on the windows.:jester:

Aussies tend to enjoy bars :drinks:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• 2 weeks later...

I do like how they are going to the trouble of   transporting  it 850km back to where it came from, but it will be annoyed when it wakes up and finds itself back in Queensland.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Funny 6

20 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I do like how they are going to the trouble of transporting  it 850km back to where it came from, but it will be annoyed when it wakes up and finds itself back in Queensland.

I imagine the people who harvest the lettuce would be happy for it to stay in Sydney.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I imagine the people who harvest the lettuce would be happy for it to stay in Sydney.

Being just 'medically significant' rather than 'worlds second deadliest snake'   which  are the Eastern Browns we most commonly see, it would be a nice change to have it here.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

'worlds second deadliest snake'  

We got some mileage out of telling newer arrivals than ourselves to the Great Southern Land that a few things were considered essential.

1.  Plastic BBQ tongs

2.  Left-handed screwdrivers (for the Southern Hemisphere, y'know ;) )

3.  Skyhooks (not a bad band, actually)

4.  A pair of Taipans (woks was intended - Thai pans - but imagine going to the hardware store and asking for two of the World's Deadliest Snakes :O

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

35 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

We got some mileage out of telling newer arrivals than ourselves to the Great Southern Land that a few things were considered essential.

1.  Plastic BBQ tongs

2.  Left-handed screwdrivers (for the Southern Hemisphere, y'know ;) )

3.  Skyhooks (not a bad band, actually)

4.  A pair of Taipans (woks was intended - Thai pans - but imagine going to the hardware store and asking for two of the World's Deadliest Snakes :O

I work in the foothills of the  Blue Mountains and go for a run through the bush sometimes, its a pretty popular area for bush walkers and sight seers because its close to the city so is the first experience of 'the bush' westbound overseas tourists see and will often check out the walking tracks.

I once came upon a party of two older couples walking along with big sticks, banging the ground and loudly hitting every tree with them and practically shouting at each other in German . They saw me and gave me a bit of a 'why are you just jogging along and not hitting the ground and every tree loudly with  big stick?" look.

Bewildered, I had to give them the sanitised version of  the traditional Australian question we always ask anyone doing anything -  "What the f... ya doin' mate?"

Turns out they were German tourists who had been told by an Australian the night before that when walking in the bush or anywhere that's not tarred you need to make noises  to scare the snakes away., which is pretty standard advice but they were really taking it to extremes!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

when walking in the bush or anywhere that's not tarred you need to make noises  to scare the snakes away.

Don't forget the old chestnut of smearing yourself in Vegemite to prevent Drop Bear attacks

• Agree 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Laurel & Hardy know a song about that...I think.

C6T. 

Blue Ridge Mountains, not Blue Mountains.  But who's counting? ;)  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Blue Ridge Mountains, not Blue Mountains.  But who's counting? ;)  

If I bash you over the head with a mallet and you don't start singing soprano, we'll have difinitive proof neither of us are taking this seriously.

C6T. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3