RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Morning Trickers,Old Boy. Once more I start the day with a resounding thump as my jaw hits the floor.

Splendid stuff.

Rob.

The stonework is all carved DAS (see MRJ 260), colours used are mainly enamels in grey, light stone colours, brown, black and white. The green growth on the waterline is neat acrylic in green and yellow out of a tube. Also mixing Tamiya acrylics and Humbrol is not unheard of and produces some interesting effects! Nothing beats a bit of experimentation and if it doesn’t look right, work on it some more. It usually takes three or four ‘sessions’ to build up the depth of colour.

The coping stones are wood; maple and cherry. Just because that’s what I’ve got lying around and they are hard, close grained and able to be carved and ‘textured’. They take paint well as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The stonework is all carved DAS (see MRJ 260), colours used are mainly enamels in grey, light stone colours, brown, black and white. The green growth on the waterline is neat acrylic in green and yellow out of a tube. Also mixing Tamiya acrylics and Humbrol is not unheard of and produces some interesting effects! Nothing beats a bit of experimentation and if it doesn’t look right, work on it some more. It usually takes three or four ‘sessions’ to build up the depth of colour.

Thanks chap. Enamels you say? I think I've fallen out of love with enamel paint in recent years, probably prompted by most of my old stock going off and recent humbrol production being a bit variable. Instead I've been using tubes of artists acrylic and gouache paint. Interesting to see you use the same limited palette of paint and mix it up to get the colours you want. Great stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would pen a quick update of progress, no photos as yet but they will follow soon. Work has moved on to the motive power department in the shape of a Class 2 kit from Mercian Models. Can’t say I have come across them before but so far so good. The etches seem quite good but the instructions are fairly brief. Good job I’ve got my set of Midland Locomotives books by Jenkinson and Essery, otherwise I would be a bit stuck. I’m pursuing radio control for this as there’s plenty of room for all the gubbins in the loco and tender plus the major attraction of course is guaranteed slow running. So far I’ve only made starts on the footplates as I’ve yet to scrape enough money together for wheels, motor and gearbox. Photos to follow when I feel like there’s something worth showing...Not at all sure if a tender loco is suitable really in this situation but I’ve started so I’ll finish as they say.

The PW Department have been and gone so I’m keen to see if their labours were successful!

• Like 2

Another quick progress report on the Class 2. I’ve started the loco footplate and soldered the valances and steps. Also made a start on the boiler. The main section is pre-rolled but I decided to turn a maple dowel exactly matching the ID of the boiler, clamping the boiler around this to solder it up. This worked well and spurred on by the success of this, used the same dowel but added a flat section to similarly assist with soldering up the firebox.

Here’s the former.

post-31608-0-98704600-1519420359_thumb.jpeg

And here’s the boiler and firebox soldered up. A bit of cleaning up to do.

post-31608-0-50393600-1519420494_thumb.jpeg

And here’s a quick shot of the work so far on the tender.

post-31608-0-36771500-1519420603_thumb.jpeg

Sorry all the photos are on their side, still don’t know how to rotate them on an iPhone..

I’ve got most of the bits for the radio control and reckon the battery will just fit in the tender with the receiver and other gubbins in the boiler. Need to save up for wheels and gearbox but plenty to do in the meantime.

Edited by Tricky
  • Like 11

Yes thanks! Does anyone know how to do that on an iPhone? !

I tend to take mine in landscape mode rather than portrait on my iPhone .

Your photos were loaded into Photos on my MacBook and then rotated to achieve the above.

The same goes for videos when I upload them otherwise you get those narrow black sides when viewed on Youtube etc.

I'm sure there are more accomplished iPhone aficionados here that will probably correct me and if so would be happy to learn more too.

G

Here’s a few photos of progress on the building which is sited at the far left, partially off stage. Windows just gone in, waiting for a door, chimney pots, exterior plumbing and details plus roof painting.

post-31608-0-06718700-1520012304_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-83583500-1520012342_thumb.jpeg

post-31608-0-87965500-1520012379_thumb.jpeg

Stonework is the usual carved Das, windows from cd case material and plasticard.

• Like 13

Work on the loco has halted temporarily because I lent the heater in the train shed to a neighbour whose boiler has broken. I went in there just now and there’s a lump of snow still on the floor from when I last went in there on Wednesday. So perhaps a bit chilly to work in at the moment...

post-31608-0-40750500-1520012792_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Here’s a few photos of progress on the building which is sited at the far left, partially off stage. Windows just gone in, waiting for a door, chimney pots, exterior plumbing and details plus roof painting.

attachicon.gif1002AEF7-094C-4654-BC07-4EDA183B19D6.jpeg

attachicon.gif9BFB1E86-F03E-4B1C-A81C-1FAD178E499B.jpeg

attachicon.gifF79E8BF6-DD11-45EA-B3AE-4FB56FDC8210.jpeg

Stonework is the usual carved Das, windows from cd case material and plasticard.

Lovely subdued tones on the stonework Trickers.

Looking at this building and immediately I think Bristol or Bath. Spot on.

Rob.

Work on the loco has halted temporarily because I lent the heater in the train shed to a neighbour whose boiler has broken. I went in there just now and there’s a lump of snow still on the floor from when I last went in there on Wednesday. So perhaps a bit chilly to work in at the moment...

Eeeeeeeek! What about poor Ned? Get the heater back.......

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif1002AEF7-094C-4654-BC07-4EDA183B19D6.jpeg

attachicon.gif9BFB1E86-F03E-4B1C-A81C-1FAD178E499B.jpeg

attachicon.gifF79E8BF6-DD11-45EA-B3AE-4FB56FDC8210.jpeg

Very nice, well observed. 

What glue / solvent do you find works on the CD case?

Very nice, well observed. 

What glue / solvent do you find works on the CD case?

Ordinary liquid poly works really well. Too well actually. You need to apply very sparingly as capillary action can track it all over the place if you’re not careful and turns the clear material foggy.

Eeeeeeeek! What about poor Ned? Get the heater back.......

The heater has been returned by grateful neighbours. Ned is happy once more getting feeling back in his extremities. However, like his owner; no sense - no feeling.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Had a couple of weeks away from rmWeb - busy with work and family, unfortunately nothing exciting! lol!  Love the work on the building, very very nice, and your on with a new loco addition too! Very nice.  Following as ever in the background, but can't wait to see the new building on the layout.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Getting a bit bogged down with the loco build at the moment. Progress seems to be slow considering the effort I’m putting in! The loco body is almost finished, cab details still to do and no progress on the frames until I get the wheels and gearbox. Photos to follow...

In the mean time, I’ve done a little bit more on the building, by way of a distraction and to keep things moving along.

post-31608-0-16828900-1521119653_thumb.jpeg

This shows the down pipe before fitting the wall brackets and painting. I’ve done a drawing for the doors and these will be next. I’m toying with the idea of ivy growing up the front end wall but not sure yet how I might do this. It will be right at the front of the layout so has to be good!

I’m also thinking how quickly this year is going and how quickly the competition will come round...still lots to do!

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1