RMweb

Falcon Brassworks

samanthahate

Falcon Brassworks are now offering the etches only for Locos, Tenders, Chassis and Coaches.

Currently the wagons are on offer and will continue to be for the foreseeable future,

However we will be streamlining the remainder of the products due to other companies now being able to offer them.

Please let us know if there are any particular ones that we should definitely keep as we wouldn't want to lose something that could still be wanted.

Thanks

Samantha

Falcon Brassworks are now offering the etches only for Locos, Tenders, Chassis and Coaches.....

You'll need to update your webpages, then, as the engines and tenders are "not currently available".

Do you have LK208 - WD 2-10-0?

Edited by Horsetan

Samantha,

There doesn't seem to be much available.

Not even in the wagons!!

Khris

You'll need to update your webpages, then, as the engines and tenders are "not currently available".Do you have LK208 - WD 2-10-0?

Thank you for your comments, I'm not sure if you are aware of my situation but I am trying my best and in my quickest time to add everything back onto the website. I just wanted to make people aware that we are now able to offer them, if the ones wanted are not yet added back on the please email me with what you want and I can sort it out.

• Like 1

Thank you for your comments, I'm not sure if you are aware of my situation but I am trying my best and in my quickest time to add everything back onto the website. I just wanted to make people aware that we are now able to offer them, if the ones wanted are not yet added back on the please email me with what you want and I can sort it out.

Does that mean you want pre orders for items ? 

• RMweb Gold

Great news Samantha that things are moving and l wish you good commercial fortune.

Of interest to me would be an SR U and/or U1. I think that there could be a good few takers for those. For sheer oddness maybe an LSWR T14! I have one part built from your predecessor's kit.

I would also buy one of the original LSWR T14 sets of loco etches along with the 8 wheel tender, the unrebuilt version that had the valve gear coming out of the front of the splashers above the footplate into the flared in smoke box/valve chest covers.

I would also buy one of the original LSWR T14 sets of loco etches along with the 8 wheel tender, the unrebuilt version that had the valve gear coming out of the front of the splashers above the footplate into the flared in smoke box/valve chest covers.

Would you like me to send over a quote for these?

Hi Samantha,

I'm in the process of building the LMS Prize Cattle Van, WK219.  It's a Jidenco production and was bought part built, so it may be that some aspects of the kit have been changed since.  However it's in line with most of my experience of the range and so while it's fresh in my mind I thought I'd make some observations which might help you.

Instructions.  The Jidenco ones are terrible.  There are a number of parts on the etch which the instructions simply ignore.  The order of assembly is haphazard (droplights are easier to fit to a flat etch, not after it's been folded into a box).  When I built the GC 6 wheel brake van, the instructions suggested adding handrails, then about four steps later told you to fit the corner overlays - which the handrails pass through.   On this vehicle there is a half etched groove for door beading, but that is not mentioned at all.  Ideally someone needs to build each one and review the instructions as they go.

There are no references to published photographs and drawings.  Adding these in would be very helpful.

The Jidenco foldup W irons which seem to be fairly common in their kits give a ride height which is way out.  When I bought the GC brake van kit, just after you acquired the range, Nigel put some MJT W irons in the pack and they were spot on.  As an aside, I used the Jidenco part for the V hangers and brake blocks, but the V hangers ended up way off being opposite each other.   Supplying the MJT part would be a big help.

The turned brass buffers in the kit are nice, but nothing like the reality.  I used Dave Franks 1'8" RCH type.  There isn't an equivalent one in the MJT range, but you'd probably get them cheaper from Dave than having the brass ones turned up.

It did occur to me that you might ask the different line Societies whether they'd be prepared to help with any of this - they have often published the drawings and photographs themselves, they may have a modelling steward who can find you a volunteer for things like test builds and revising instructions and they would also publicise the kits to the group who would be most likely to buy them.

I can't remember whether this was mentioned on the other thread, but I'm sure that if you requested photos for the website people on here would be willing to let you use theirs.  I have a couple you'd be welcome to.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

Samantha , as the last post .

I would like a LNER F8 but it appears no one has ever built one ?? (not on here , no mention or photos anywhere on the web so far) . My only experience relating to Jidenco was a god awful LNER Cattle Wagon . At the moment I am very wary of spending over £60 on what could be a "dog" . Are there any photos of the etch sheets please ? or opinions please ?

Mick

Edited by micklner

Hi Samantha,

I'm in the process of building the LMS Prize Cattle Van, WK219.  It's a Jidenco production and was bought part built, so it may be that some aspects of the kit have been changed since.  However it's in line with most of my experience of the range and so while it's fresh in my mind I thought I'd make some observations which might help you.

Instructions.  The Jidenco ones are terrible.  There are a number of parts on the etch which the instructions simply ignore.  The order of assembly is haphazard (droplights are easier to fit to a flat etch, not after it's been folded into a box).  When I built the GC 6 wheel brake van, the instructions suggested adding handrails, then about four steps later told you to fit the corner overlays - which the handrails pass through.   On this vehicle there is a half etched groove for door beading, but that is not mentioned at all.  Ideally someone needs to build each one and review the instructions as they go.

There are no references to published photographs and drawings.  Adding these in would be very helpful.

The Jidenco foldup W irons which seem to be fairly common in their kits give a ride height which is way out.  When I bought the GC brake van kit, just after you acquired the range, Nigel put some MJT W irons in the pack and they were spot on.  As an aside, I used the Jidenco part for the V hangers and brake blocks, but the V hangers ended up way off being opposite each other.   Supplying the MJT part would be a big help.

The turned brass buffers in the kit are nice, but nothing like the reality.  I used Dave Franks 1'8" RCH type.  There isn't an equivalent one in the MJT range, but you'd probably get them cheaper from Dave than having the brass ones turned up.

It did occur to me that you might ask the different line Societies whether they'd be prepared to help with any of this - they have often published the drawings and photographs themselves, they may have a modelling steward who can find you a volunteer for things like test builds and revising instructions and they would also publicise the kits to the group who would be most likely to buy them.

I can't remember whether this was mentioned on the other thread, but I'm sure that if you requested photos for the website people on here would be willing to let you use theirs.  I have a couple you'd be welcome to.

Totally agree about the W irons, built two or three Jedinco vans definitely a part of the kits which need revising

• RMweb Gold

Here's one made earlier!....not by me, but quite a nice build of a 'Jidenco' kit. Obviously needs a bit of work with one or two bits missing. The valve gear is all over the shop but it will be re-built with a P4 undercarriage. The motion will be a fun re-build with that interesting 'above footplate' stuff. Overall l was very pleased with the purchase.

post-6728-0-81998900-1504180674_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-84834700-1504180703_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

.... will be re-built with a P4 undercarriage. The motion will be a fun re-build with that interesting 'above footplate' stuff....

I'm thinking some sort of subframe. Dunno why.

Did you get your quote for the SR "U" class as well? Mine seemed quite reasonable, though I have to remember that the original kit seemed to be an amalgam of the new build and the "rebuilt River" versions (just like F.J Roche's drawing), so you have to be careful to correct certain parts. This is where the SEF spare parts service could be invaluable.