The Pre-Grouping Pedants Weekly

taking the Castle Aching thread off-topic...

That would be quite an achievement.

Taking Castle Aching off topic? I think you should be posting this the The Forum Jokes Thread, or at least Things That Make You Smile, not here :jester:.

Quite!

Now, this might well qualify as art, but this painter might well benefit from a dose of pre-Grouping pedantry ...

post-25673-0-44854700-1506609736_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Perhaps they are in fancy dress? 

They could be Preservationalists.  That would explain everything!

Looks like a modern picture - the station looks like York, the locomotive is LMS and the coach in a Southern livery.

It's York, Jim, but not as we know it ...

• Like 2

runs as required has requested that I repost the following observation here so that it can be responded to without taking the Castle Aching thread off-topic...

Following the posting of one of Monet paintings of the Gare St Lazare, he had requested a pre-Raphaelite painting of a railway station to provide balance. My response:

The problem here is that railway stations were simply too prosaic and mundane to form a suitable subject for a pre-Raphaelite artist. Indeed, unlike railway modelling, the whole railway set-up was based on principles that ran directly contrary to William Morris' ideal of the individual craftsman.

Many thanks for responding It is true I do have an image in mind but cannot yet locate it.

1)  It is most definitely a pre-Grouping station,

and

2)  It is, if I recall correctly, a wood cut - which I do think William Morris might have approved of.

The subject is a station on the joint GW/LNW North to West line  south of Hereford which originally opened with its booking office within a hollow tree. I think I remember seeing it in a bound copy of the Railway Magazine.

dh

• Like 1

The subject is a station on the joint GW/LNW North to West line  south of Hereford which originally opened with its booking office within a hollow tree. I think I remember seeing it in a bound copy of the Railway Magazine.

Moreton-On-Lugg 

post-6979-0-15591200-1506624777.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 7

Moreton-On-Lugg 

attachicon.gifMoreton On Lugg #2.jpg

I'm most grateful to you for saving me hours of ferreting for this image - quite clearly pre-Grouping. But I have to admit to false memory on two counts

1) It is north, not south of Hereford:

and

2) more seriously, in view of my petty pedantic disputation with Compound, it looks to be a pencil drawing and not the wood-cut that I argued would please William Morris.

I'm glad it has a brick built fireplace!

Not Pre-anything arty I am afraid, but there are some nice paintings of early railways by one of the Pissaros.

attachicon.gifpissarro lordship lane.jpg

Lordship Lane in this case.

Jonathan

But the landscape around Lordship Lane does looks decidedly pre-grouping for Dulwich !

• Like 1

Looks like a modern picture - the station looks like York, the locomotive is LMS and the coach in a Southern livery.

The loco is one of those 3F "express locos", an LMS Jinty.  Its definitely not pre-grouping, being built in November 1924 by Hunslet for the LMS.  Its main stomping grounds were Camden, Northhampton, Willisden, Bletchley and St Helens (God knows why it should be pictured at York!), before going to live on Barry Island.  From whence it was resurrected and went to Steamport and took part in the "Rocket 150" celebrations in 1980, thence to the Llangollen, where it spent some time playing a blue childrens loco and is currently (according to Wikipedia) based on the East Lancs Railway undergoing overhaul.

Phew!  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A Jones goods may be pre grouping but it certainly isn't French!

Having come to this thread a tad late...

It may not be as far away from France as you would think.... The larger HR Castles were also supplied to the Etat......

Andy G

• Like 1

Having come to this thread a tad late...

It may not be as far away from France as you would think.... The larger HR Castles were also supplied to the Etat......

Andy G

As Pete Drummond might have said "L'Etat c'est moi".

Or perhaps not...

• RMweb Premium

Back to Louis XIV.  Modest chaps, these absolute monarchs.

Perhaps we can work back to railways via his namesake and biggest fan?

Louis XIV, rail enthusiast - hang on, we were here only two days ago...

Anyway, I thought that when this photo came up on Castle Aching, we established that it's actually the interior of a LNWR family saloon.

• Like 1

Louis XIV, rail enthusiast - hang on, we were here only two days ago...

Anyway, I thought that when this photo came up on Castle Aching, we established that it's actually the interior of a LNWR family saloon.

Ah, but which family? It's so ostentatiously bling-y one could almost thing it was built for the Trump family – wrong continent/century of course, but...

• RMweb Gold

Ah, but which family? It's so ostentatiously bling-y one could almost thing it was built for the Trump family – wrong continent/century of course, but...

Yes, but it is the continent and (depending on exact location) century in which his mind seems to exist.