Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Have you been in touch to ask? My order would still be sitting there quietly going nowhere if I hadn't. Very friendly and helpful staff and swift response/action on the phone.

Very much in line with my reasoning.

Not much need for an NCB, Caledonian or GWR locomotive in coastal Essex.

Bernard

Yes, I think my only criticism so far is an excessive reliance on specific industrial or preservation liveries, rather than plain liveries. The Caley one in particular grieves me because while the [preserved] livery looks great, any cunning plan to invoke rule 1 and pass it off as a genuine Caley loco is scuppered by the post-WWI cab. 

Am sorry if this has been covered already. As I understand it the GWR 705 version is a fictional as preserved version. But the GWR absorbed a Swansea Harbour Trust Andrew Barclay and numbered it 701. It was renumbered 1140 I think byBR and scrapped in 1958. Can the Hattons loco be converted? I ffound a poor quality pic and it looks like the cab is slightly different along with buffers and safety valve cover but am sure there will be other Swindonisation that will be needed. Can anyone out there help as I need to find an excuse for one of these. I may be barking up completely the wrong tree. Do I need one - no, but Rule 1 will prevail if a conversion is relatively painless.

Am sorry if this has been covered already. As I understand it the GWR 705 version is a fictional as preserved version. But the GWR absorbed a Swansea Harbour Trust Andrew Barclay and numbered it 701. It was renumbered 1140 I think byBR and scrapped in 1958. Can the Hattons loco be converted? I ffound a poor quality pic and it looks like the cab is slightly different along with buffers and safety valve cover but am sure there will be other Swindonisation that will be needed. Can anyone out there help as I need to find an excuse for one of these. I may be barking up completely the wrong tree. Do I need one - no, but Rule 1 will prevail if a conversion is relatively painless.

the back of the cab is wrong as well PM on its way

• RMweb Gold

Have you been in touch to ask? My order would still be sitting there quietly going nowhere if I hadn't. Very friendly and helpful staff and swift response/action on the phone.

But why should you have to get in touch? Surely if Hattons have taken the money and advised that the order is being processed that's what they should be doing - processing it.

It worries me that the service being offered by Hattons is not what it used to be.

On March 5th I returned a defective Heljan NCB Cl.14 to Hattons but not having heard anything from them by April 6th contacted them by phone and got a callback later advising that the item was with their dcc department who had done nothing because they were very busy. They hoped to look at the item that day. One week later I have still not heard from them.

In retrospect maybe you are right, things are sitting there quietly going nowhere....

Keith

But why should you have to get in touch? Surely if Hattons have taken the money and advised that the order is being processed that's what they should be doing - processing it.

The problem was that they hadn't taken the money, which is why they hadn't started processing it, which is why a simple phone call sorted it.

• RMweb Gold

'Coronation' is currently trundling gently away on my rolling road. What a little beauty.

Whoever designed it clearly read the NEM manual first. One pair of Kadee #19 heads fitted straight in no fiddling and gauged perfectly. You might get away with #18s if you have really gentle curves, but that's not really what such locos are about, is it?

If my 'P' and this one are anything to go by, Hatton's are well on the way to establishing a very good reputation as 'manufacturers'.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

Does anyone have a recommendation for where I might obtain Bon Accord etched nameplates for my (oh so very pretty) Coronation?

Cheers,

Gavin

I use Narrow Planet you can have what name style size you like.

Img_2914_640.jpg

I'll have to get one for my WM layout!

But it would have to be Black lined Yellow.................

Barclay preservation Society of Maryland had a members running day at the Willow Creek coal loading point.

• RMweb Premium

the back of the cab is wrong as well PM on its way

I don't know if these would help; (not my copyright)?

post-2274-0-75596800-1523888977_thumb.jpg

post-2274-0-81785900-1523891345_thumb.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

1140 looks like it's a much smaller version.

10" or 12" cylinders?

Jason

Looks like it doesn't it, but, according to the Winter 1955/6 abc (reprint), 1140 had: 

14" x 22" cylinders, 3' 5" driving wheels, and weighed 28 tons.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling