SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

My two are beautiful runners too - but a little fast for my liking .... faster than my Hornby 'H' in fact ! ( Only tried at running-in speed so far - so I've no idea what the max is .... of either ! )

Could be your controller; they do vary in 'grunt' delivered.

P

• RMweb Gold

So is the Bluebell P class the most photographed loco ever made or do's it just seem like it? :O

Nah, before it was the H&P Peckett, and before that was 60163 in Blue, 60007 in Blue...

Blue steam engines seem to attract cameras. Pity it took BR 20 years to realise this only by then it was too late and steam had gone.

Blue steam engines seem to attract cameras. Pity it took BR 20 years to realise this only by then it was too late and steam had gone.

Um,, not sure the VoR 2-6-2T were photogenic in blue, once they lined one out the appearance improved signicantly

https://www.philt.org.uk/Narrow-Gauge-Railways/Rheidol/i-B8cHrp2

verus

https://www.philt.org.uk/Narrow-Gauge-Railways/Rheidol/i-9QHQmQ6

Edited by Butler Henderson

My P arrived yesterday

27576174628_ddd31b9b3d_b.jpg

I can't get over how small it is! Runs so very smoothly too.

Well done Hattons. Now roll on the other two small tank engines (B4 and Terrier)

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi chaps am hoping someone with more knowledge then I (which is not hard) can identify wagons used in this bfi film of bowaters it starts around 7 mins

Hope you don't mind as it may have been posted before

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-oxted-bowaters-hayling-island-railways-1961-online

All Bowater's own 2'6" narrow gauge stock. Didn't spot anything identifiable on the standard gauge. 

John

Has anyone here managed to remove the keeper plate to access the pickups as mine is suffering from poor running pickups not touching the wheels.

If you're careful you can tweak the pickups without taking things apart, I used a fine pair of tweezers and went very slowly ... did the job as my SR one only had two wipers touching the wheels.

If you're careful you can tweak the pickups without taking things apart, I used a fine pair of tweezers and went very slowly ... did the job as my SR one only had two wipers touching the wheels.

Yes attempted this sadly they kept returning to their former position and so there for not touching the wheels.. Anyway since typing the last post I have managed to remove the brake rigging and keeper plate very carefully, and sorted the pickups out, they are very stiff I must say maybe thicker bronze than what others are using... just have to keep an eye on it.

Yes attempted this sadly they kept returning to their former position and so there for not touching the wheels.. Anyway since typing the last post I have managed to remove the brake rigging and keeper plate very carefully, and sorted the pickups out, they are very stiff I must say maybe thicker bronze than what others are using... just have to keep an eye on it.

If you have a look at Nile's post #834 and my post #857, we talk about removing the base plate and adjusting the pick-ups; hope that helps.

I got around to getting myself one combining a shake down trip in my old Volvo with a trip to Hatton's at Widnes to pick one up. I chose the SECR grey one, to match my Bachmann C class and N class in the same livery:

It's actually the first time that I've been to the new premises at Widnes, having been a frequent visitor to the old shop(s) in Smithdown road. It's a lot easier and quicker to get to, and the provision of parking is welcome. No more braving Liverpool traffic to find the shop! 

The model is really fine, and is right up there along with the Model Rail/Bachmann USA tank as being one of the finest RTR models that I've seen. I'm really looking forward to the Barclay shunter in CPC livery that I ordered a while back. Sadly the postie has just been, and my loco was not with him. 

• Like 6

My attempts at fixing this without removing the keeper plate failed. When I ran the loco again yesterday the pickups were not making contact. I should have time on Friday to take it apart and fix this. 

If you have a look at Nile's post #834 and my post #857, we talk about removing the base plate and adjusting the pick-ups; hope that helps.

Thanks, hopefully i won't damage anything!

My attempts at fixing this without removing the keeper plate failed. When I ran the loco again yesterday the pickups were not making contact. I should have time on Friday to take it apart and fix this. 

Thanks, hopefully i won't damage anything!

The only thing I would reiterate, be careful removing the brake gear, you have to prize the brake hangers apart and lift out the cross stretchers, be especially careful around the front sand pipes. I used two pairs of tweezers to do the job, but I am afraid I don't have any pictures.

Edited by gz3xzf

Well, received my 2 today, bit of a mixed bag. Both are beautiful to look at, but currently running awful.

When I fitted the Hattons 6 pin chip, the body was tight to pull down, no matter how I tried to wiggle them. And when I run them, they both stall on pretty much every set of points (electrofrog with switch feeds) I am quite disappointed

Any suggestions?

Originally they would work beautifully on 1m length of track using Bachmann EZ command digital controller, but jumped all over the place on my ECoS. Reset CV 29 from 6 to 2, so runs now on my ECoS but with the issues above

FYI the body won't fit back on with the hattons 6-pin chip - it's too wide. Apparently Hattons are filing the

sides of the decoder for those they are fitting themselves. I wasn't keen about this so I swapped the hattons

decoder with a TCS EUN651 from another loco.

...both stall on pretty much every set of points (electrofrog with switch feeds) I am quite disappointed ...Originally they would work beautifully on 1m length of track ...

Runs on plain track, stalls on points, usually indicates that pick up is not obtained consistently on all wheels. Check that every pick up wiper always maintains contact with the wheelback as the wheelset is moved its full travel from side to side. Adjust any wipers that lose contact so that they always maintain contact.

FYI the body won't fit back on with the hattons 6-pin chip - it's too wide. Apparently Hattons are filing the

sides of the decoder for those they are fitting themselves. I wasn't keen about this so I swapped the hattons

decoder with a TCS EUN651 from another loco.

TCS EUN651 is a good fit. Anyone tried a TCS Keep Alive or other add on? 

Runs on plain track, stalls on points, usually indicates that pick up is not obtained consistently on all wheels. Check that every pick up wiper always maintains contact with the wheelback as the wheelset is moved its full travel from side to side. Adjust any wipers that lose contact so that they always maintain contact.

Agree all three of mine run perfectly through any point work I throw at them including double slips. All contacts are in contact and the front sprung axle is superb.

My Bluebelll did a trip on the Bluebell today. Pics later when I have access to an effective wifi.

So here we go, my Bluebell on the Bluebell, unfortunately the engine sheds are undergoing a full rebuild and so are out of bounds at the moment but we did find the side tank of number 27.

Also Fenchurch and 80064 in the back ground. 30541 was pulling the train. Dare I pollute a P thread with a pic of a Q??

post-15098-0-15177100-1524070153_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-13338100-1524070182_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-85908400-1524070204_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-34726000-1524070228_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-54219100-1524070249_thumb.jpg

• Like 8