SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

You just have to consider how much Rails are asking for their Bachmann sourced Caly 812 (admittedly thats got a tender too).  Or the similarly sized Terrier they're commissioning from Dapol.

Against those, the P is a bargain!

Now based on this lovely little loco, could Hattons consider a J27, pretty please.....................Dave...................?  :angel:

Paul. 

So the P was delivered to some customers in Australia yesterday. Has anyone in North America got theirs yet?

Cheers,

David

Edited to resemble the English language. I’m getting anxious.

See my texts above. Delivered 31/3/2018 or 3/31/2018 which would have been 1/4/2018 or 4/1/2018 Oz time. The ModelU crew arrive the following Monday.

So the P was delivered to some customers in Australia yesterday. Has anyone in North America got theirs yet?

Cheers,

David

Edited to resemble the English language. I’m getting anxious.

My two were delivered today to Arizona. On the layout within 5 mins. Lovely runners & look absolutely gorgeous esp 754 pulling rake of Bachmann SE&CR wagons.

• Like 1

I bought several of the crews for use in other locos as well. They were stuck to a wooden paddle and painted as a group. There are a few rough spots I should touch up but in general they have come up well.

The first pair in older style garb have been glued into Bluebell. I removed the body then separated the footplate (undoing four screws allows this), then glued the driver into the body, with a spot of glue on his hand to stick to the regulator, and a dab on the other hand and lower side of his jacket to stick to the cab door, taking care to align the soles of his shoes with the base of the cab door.

I then glued the fireman to the cab floor, just clear of where the cab side/door would pass when reassembling the loco. A spot of glue on the driver's feet was added just before reassembly. The hardest bit was threading the cab door handrails back into their loops as the cab and boiler were lowered back onto the footplate.

40553054464_235a5f879c_b.jpg
Hattons P Class Crew Fitted - 1 cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

41266631031_46e258fcb2_b.jpg
Hattons P Class Crew Fitted - 2 cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 7

Is the colour match between Bluebell and that maunsell as spot on as your photo suggests? =]

Cant say out its match to the loco but the coach is miles out in terms of shade from what it actually should be. Its way too dark so ive repainted mine using the same colour as what the bluebell used to repaint it for the 50th anniversary celebrations

• Like 1

My two were delivered today to Arizona. On the layout within 5 mins. Lovely runners & look absolutely gorgeous esp 754 pulling rake of Bachmann SE&CR wagons.

There’s hope then. I guess it must be ice conditions in the St Lawrence slowing things down, oh wait, it’s coming by air....

Cheers,

David

• Like 2

Right - Start again after I pressed the wrong button :nono: . Like I started saying, I have dug out some pics of PIONEER II which I took at Ridham Dock (Bowaters) in 1966 (September IIRC). You can see that the whistle is mounted on the cab front instead of the roof, there is no vac pipe (Hatton are correct on that one - well done) and it has three-link couplings. Interesting weathering as the boiler cladding looks almost black, the only reasonably clean bits are the tank sides

post-7238-0-59152000-1523095579.jpg

post-7238-0-73996700-1523095591.jpg

post-7238-0-66084900-1523095605.jpg

post-7238-0-94813800-1523095615.jpg

post-7238-0-78287200-1523095624.jpg

• Like 13

Lovely photos, thanks for posting those. A rather groovy Bagnall behind the 'P', as well.

At the risk of going off topic (I blame Captain K if anyone objects), the Bagnall is JUBILEE which the good book says was Works Number 2542 of 1936 and was new to Bowaters. PIONEER (as opposed to PIONEER II) was apparently a Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST, No.942 of 1885, which was second hand from Smith, Peterson Co. Ltd., Blaydon, it was scrapped in 1954.

post-7238-0-12726200-1523101499.jpg

post-7238-0-16114900-1523101512.jpg

• Like 7

Had chance to try and unpack and play with 2 out of my 3 today.

The Southern green one ran fine after I had tweaked the front and centre pickups so they made contact with the wheels.  Very nice once it was adjusted.

The BR black one arrived with one of the wheels twisted properly out of quarter.  No chance of that running.  Phoned Hattons and they immediately arranged a return ... can't fault the service so far.

I'll have to await my birthday to find out what Pioneer II is like.

• Like 1

Had chance to try and unpack and play with 2 out of my 3 today.

The Southern green one ran fine after I had tweaked the front and centre pickups so they made contact with the wheels.  Very nice once it was adjusted.

The BR black one arrived with one of the wheels twisted properly out of quarter.  No chance of that running.  Phoned Hattons and they immediately arranged a return ... can't fault the service so far.

I'll have to await my birthday to find out what Pioneer II is like.

Did you need to remove the keeper plate to tweak the pickups? or can it be done without any disassembly?

• RMweb Gold

At the risk of going off topic (I blame Captain K if anyone objects), the Bagnall is JUBILEE which the good book says was Works Number 2542 of 1936 and was new to Bowaters. PIONEER (as opposed to PIONEER II) was apparently a Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST, No.942 of 1885, which was second hand from Smith, Peterson Co. Ltd., Blaydon, it was scrapped in 1954.

attachicon.gif2018-04-03_2.jpg

attachicon.gif2018-04-03_30.jpg

Thank you, that is indeed one groovy little loco.