wenford dries - 7mm - 1983

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

Update - I ordered a Slaters 20 Ton BR Brake Van kit today to replace the Skytrex one which was returned due to disappointment.

See...all this talk of 7mm...now look what's happened...Resist...Resist...Resist... ;)

• RMweb Gold

So this is where it is at at the moment? ;)

This big train stuff really is rather appealing :O

Don't go there Mickey...unless of course a new purchase in another scale helps to reclaim that mojo ;)

• RMweb Gold

You can get back from 7mm. I changed from 2mm to 7mm around 1985. Now I have re-joined the 2mm assoc. I still have the 7mm stuff though including an unpainted late 08 somewhere. Most of my stuff is steam. Nice layout ideas though.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Don,

Its good sometimes to switch scales - I do that often in my work too...if we are looking at architectural plans at 1:50 scale and there is a design problem, we sometimes drop down a scale or two (say to 1:500) to help step back and look at the problem - it really helps focus the mind.

I can't see myself dropping 2mm as I have so much of it now...but I can see an increase in my 7mm stuff...gradually!

I can't see myself dropping 2mm as I have so much of it now...

Years ago I started my US-outline modelling in N scale. Because I also wanted to run UK stuff, I eventually moved up to HO/OO, as I hadn't space for more than one layout. If British N scale had been as good 10 years ago as it is now, I'm not sure I'd have changed scale... or at least, the decision would've been a lot harder to make... :rolleyes: ;)

I used to model in 4mm but sold it all apart from some of my kit built and converted stuff - prototypr HST and Bullied pacific to move to 7mm. That was before we had the current high standards of rtr. I would not go back though as I have too much invested in 7mm now even though most of it is still in boxes waiting to be built! Having said that I have drooled over the Bachmann Standard 3 tank and the S & D 7F.

I need a Heljan 31 though when it comes out!

Paul R

• RMweb Gold

I need a Heljan 31 though when it comes out!

Hmmm....31's worked clay hoods in the Barnstaple area I recall...

enough of all this 7mm talk...it's getting the old creative juices flowing again...think 2mm...think 2mm... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Remember that for 7mm you need lots of creative juices, 2mm needs much less, or they go much further, see scale goes matter laugh.gif

Its not so much the creative juices, 7mm can empty a wallet pretty fast.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Its not so much the creative juices, 7mm can empty a wallet pretty fast.

True Don...or though as Marc Smith always says, the same can be true of any scale...the smaller the scale, the more rolling stock we tend to purchase....and sometimes not in proportion to the size of the layout.

My 7mm 'toe in the water' exercise chose Wenfordbridge as it is limited to an 08, a few hoods, a box van and brake van...so 37175 in large logo livery remains a pipe dream (;))

Hi Pete,

Just cathching up with projects which I bookmarked.

I shouldn't really be reading this thread, because I'm only just getting going in 2mil, and its only a month or so to Ally Pally; and I know I will aonce more be drawn the 7mm Society stand ;and I know I will see that lovely half cab MR 0-6-0T all shiny and brassy.....

Question is, can I justify 250 quid for a kit to the missus...?

And then there's this... Oh My..

https://slatersplastikard.com/linePage.php?code=7L007

stop stop...

• RMweb Gold

Chris - Fully understand where you are coming from.

When I got bitten with the 7mm bug last year my behaviour was completely irrational. I was checking all the 7mm threads on the forum, checking all the 7mm suppliers, dropping into 7mm layout websites...and this lasted for about one month...until the Doctor advised me to take some 2mmFS soothing remedies :lol:

That said, I have now completed my 7mm rolling stock purchases for now and they are awaiting when I feel the time is right to begin the layout. Occaisionally, I take them out the boxes and just enjoy the size and scale they offer.

If I am honest, I think it would tip my wife over the edge if I started another IKEA shelf layout (I have my 2FS and a 4mm one for our two boys on the go) at the moment...I am also thoroughly enjoying my 2FS stuff at present.

So, the next best thing to doing a 7mm model...is at least talking about it :D

See what happens at Ally Pally...I have my 7mm stuff awaiting for that 'rainy day'...we do get them in Spain....but not as many :P

• Like 1

...the smaller the scale, the more rolling stock we tend to purchase....and sometimes not in proportion to the size of the layout.

I tend to disagree slightly on that one, certainly regarding locomotives at least... we like to kid ourselves that we need less stock in O scale, but when I did US N scale, I had 8 locos, for a layout 8ft long. Currently in US O scale I am up to 7 locos, for a layout that also happens to be 8ft long... :blink: :rolleyes: Granted, I do have rather less O scale rolling stock than I did in N scale. <_<

• RMweb Gold

Steve :lol: I see you are on the same meds as me...

Jordan - Fair comment...In reality I guess we all end up purchasing more locos than we really need...0 gauge stuff gets harder to sneak through the front door/conceal though... ;)

Steve :lol: I see you are on the same meds as me...

Jordan - Fair comment...In reality I guess we all end up purchasing more locos than we really need...0 gauge stuff gets harder to sneak through the front door/conceal though... ;)

I think I need more medication than that!

Yes, O gauge is harder to sneak through the door,

but how come I never see my missus carrying shoe boxes into the house? :lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think I need more medication than that!

Yes, O gauge is harder to sneak through the door,

but how come I never see my missus carrying shoe boxes into the house? :lol:

Sometimes the tabs get washed down with Gin Tonics though ;)

Good point re the shoes. I implemented a '1 in, 1 out' policy with my wife. Everytime she wants to buy a new pair of shoes, she has to nominate which pair will be thrown out...it works so well, I extended it to bags too :lol:

Good job she hasn't suggested the same for my trains....yet :P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good point re the shoes. I implemented a '1 in, 1 out' policy with my wife. Everytime she wants to buy a new pair of shoes, she has to nominate which pair will be thrown out...it works so well, I extended it to bags too :lol:

Good job she hasn't suggested the same for my trains....yet :P

When she does Pete it's time to hire a storage container. One into the house, One out of the house in into the storage container.

• RMweb Gold

so there I was...minding my own business...getting on with 2FS stuff...and then this arrives in today's post...

post-3290-0-82277800-1297875742_thumb.jpg

and just to check the contents inside are ok ;) I opened it...I do like a nicely packaged kit...

post-3290-0-61620500-1297875752_thumb.jpg

Hmmm....drums fingers nerviously on the dining room table....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Send it back, it's the wrong scale and is far to easy to build with nowhere near enough fiddly bits that can just disappear from the tweezers.

ooh I dunno...am sure I can make a right mess of it...

Send it back, it's the wrong scale and is far to easy to build with nowhere near enough fiddly bits that can just disappear from the tweezers.

Believe me, the bigger fiddly bits are just as able to bounce into total oblivion when dropped, my small brain is unable to comprehend how something I saw hit the floor can have vanished completely when I go to pick it up.

Lovely kit, enjoy it to the full.

I would suggest chosing a suitable picture and building to that as there are enough bits in the kit for a few variants and it's very easy to modify for most others.

regards

Stewart