wenford dries - 7mm - 1983

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

A neat looking idea and one to watch!!!

What radius points are you planning on using? Your templates look almost like Lima points to me. Those are very tight indeed - 2ft radius I think - and from my experience even short 4-wheel wagons are going to struggle to go through them (especially the reverse curve in the crossover)without buffer-locking, with scale couplings. Marcway 4ft radius points might be just a bit better.

Thanks - It was mainly due to seeing what you achieved with your 7mm layout, posted of recent that enthused me again.

In terms of the pointwork, I used this company and stitched them together...if I could obtain some better ones it might be better rather than rushing in to it. Thanks for the 'heads up' regarding the buffer lock...this 7mm stuff is all a bit new to me!

• RMweb Gold

Sorry about the multiple posts (now deleted) of the above message, it was, as a certain fast food chain would call it, a McGlitch!

I didn't even notice it...at least you found a way to delete them...I haven't fathomed that one yet :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

I think what is really bugging me about the layout idea is the lack of a prototypical suitable scenic break.

Whilst I really appreciate the suggestions noted, it just keeps bugging me that I am trying to build something as it was...but then have to introduce something that wasn't. Sorry...it's just my own interests these days is building something that can be researched.

My initial response was to use a wall of perspex, simulating scenic break...even though it wasn't actually in theory...a sort of vertical visual break to make the difference between the scenic and non scenic. I think Marc Smith has recently handled this well with the scenic fiddleyard idea.

Now I start to wonder whether it actually needs a fiddleyard and instead I maximise the board space available with the 08 continually shuffling wagons between sidings :unsure:

• RMweb Gold

Update - Been giving it some thought and I think I have a cunning plan to crack my concerns which keeps the Wenfordbridge model in place.

I have been working on a small idea and I hope to post something on it tomorrow, time permitting.

Pete

Thank you - Yes, it was your photos that sparked my interest again. I am still having trouble finding the original track plan and matching your photos and the other few that I have to it though - any ideas where I could find this out? Thanks also for the offer to share the others - Yes please!

Pretty sure it's covered in the track layouts of the GWR sereis by Cooke (although I'd question why unless he extended GW to include WR) - Lightmoor Press publish these.

Kev

• RMweb Gold

Is it so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel?

Intrigued as ever.....

'so cunning you could brush your teeth with it' - BlackAdder II

Maybe not that cunning...but at least it has renewed my enthusiasm for building it...rather than a rethink.

• RMweb Gold

Pretty sure it's covered in the track layouts of the GWR sereis by Cooke (although I'd question why unless he extended GW to include WR) - Lightmoor Press publish these.

Kev

Kev - Thanks - I am on to it - Pete

Thank you - Yes, it was your photos that sparked my interest again. I am still having trouble finding the original track plan and matching your photos and the other few that I have to it though - any ideas where I could find this out? Thanks also for the offer to share the others - Yes please!

A few more photos uploaded this morning I have some more however they are duplicate shots that I was not happy with.

Nigel.

• RMweb Gold

Update - Having rethought and rethought this project, I realised that I could still build an extract of Wenfordbridge in 7mm scale and achieve the 5 objectives that I listed halfway through the thread.

My main concern was whether the fiddleyard would be on or off the board and if so how would a scenic break work, as there is not one on the prototype as such. My solution is to avoid having a fiddleyard which would lose much needed space on the Ikea shelf (1900x260mm) and instead include one of the small lightweight metal shelters found at the dries, which appears to be attached to the staff facilities. Unfortunately I can't attach a photo to demonstrate as it will breach copyright and I have not found any links of it to date.

This would mean I could have a place to park / hide the 08 shunter and it would also add some interest to the foreground of the layout. My plan is to treat the layout as an extract of the dries, so all lines will be left to run off the board at either end. Marc smith suggested the use of a mirror (as per his excellent Hendre Lane) which could be placed at the opposite end of the board to give an impression of the continued length of the dries - will have to see how that works out in practise.

I drew the plan out to scale crudely in Microstation and have assumed 4ft radius points.

post-3290-12830904642.jpg

From this I was able to map out the sizes of the rolling stock, which are principally an 08 shunter, a BR 20 Ton Brake van and 5 china clay hoods and draw them on plan to check for clearances. I am still trying to decify if it is a Y turnout connecting the two outer turnouts - If so I may be able to tighten this area up a little.

post-3290-128309050431.jpg

From this I managed to knock out a 1:10 scale model this morning which I hope tells the story a little clearer. By leaving the ends of the rails to run off the board, it would also allow a seperate 'loco lift' or cassette to be offered up occasionally ;)

post-3290-128309053011.jpg

post-3290-128309054319.jpg

I am now happier as I have retained the simplicity of the original idea and the idea of shuffling around one or two clay hoods using the 08 and Brake van now appeals greatly to me again :D

Comments as always welcome, Thanks, Pete

• Like 3

I have a photo of the dries towards the very end of the rail served era which shows a tractor with railway buffers and couplings. Apparently this was used for shunting around the yard. No doubt it was done to make life easier and I'm sure the same would apply in model form! It would certainally enhance the operating potential of many small layouts but I haven't a clue how one would make a model version work. Not even in DCC and definitely not on my N gauge!

However I think your idea will make for a great fun little shunting plank, especially if you do add a cassette to the far end

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom - Would be great to see that picture if feasible.

During my investigations for the EE 0-4-0 shunter which was used at Moorswater during the early nineties, I was informed that this months 'Classic Tractor' magazine has an article on a county 1474 which was fitted with equipment and front and back to allow shunting at clay works - perhaps this is the one?

Thanks for the comments - A cassette with 37207 Wiliam Cooksworthy would like extra nice I feel ;)

Sorry have had a good scout around for the book and can't find it! I'm 99% certain it was in the Middleton Press book 'Wenford Bridge to Fowey', if I find it I'll send it on.

As an aside I found the Branch Lines around Bodmin book recently. This says that the maximum load for an 08 on the line was 8 clay hoods (due to gradients around Bodmin). So even in O gauge and minimum space you are almost running full length trains. The book also has a lovely photo of an 08, brake van and a few hoods at Wenfordbridge towards the end of the lines life - I've always thought thats a good starting point for a model! If you want I'll send you a copy - but it'll have to wait till I;m back at work during the week - printer/scanner issues!

Tom

• RMweb Gold

Sorry have had a good scout around for the book and can't find it! I'm 99% certain it was in the Middleton Press book 'Wenford Bridge to Fowey', if I find it I'll send it on.

Tom - No problem - I was not aware of this book - I will try and source it.

As an aside I found the Branch Lines around Bodmin book recently. The book also has a lovely photo of an 08, brake van and a few hoods at Wenfordbridge towards the end of the lines life -

This one I have - and I know that picture - its shots like that one that have inspired this layout idea.

Agreed its pretty limited in operation but shuffling the odd hood between the sidings with the brake van attached is enough for me!

Thanks for your interest.

• RMweb Gold

Hope they're of some use to you.

Martin, many many thanks - very useful indeed.

Together with Nigels photos, the detail is becoming much clearer - in 7mm, I guess there are no excuses to omit details...especially those wonky rooflines!

Cheers, Pete

Nope, no excuse to omit details at all :)

Joking aside, I think that is one of the things that lets most 7mm layouts down - there's so much more scope for detailing in the larger scales, but oftern layouts have no more detail than they would in 4mm scale.

I look forward to seeing how you get on - and if you want any larger versions of specific photos, let me know - they are about 5MB each though!

• RMweb Gold

Nope, no excuse to omit details at all :)

Joking aside, I think that is one of the things that lets most 7mm layouts down - there's so much more scope for detailing in the larger scales, but oftern layouts have no more detail than they would in 4mm scale.

I look forward to seeing how you get on - and if you want any larger versions of specific photos, let me know - they are about 5MB each though!

Martin - Thanks, will do.

I normally model in 2mmFS so this 'excursion' will be interesting, if not somewhat easier on my already shocking eyesight :D

• RMweb Premium

Pete,

Posting all these 7mm ideas is very naughty of you. It takes my mind right off the 2mm work (play), that I should be focussing on, please stop it. These posts have also led to domestic complaints (from bluebell, and daisy) as they caused me to dig out the 7mm loco that I part built a few years back. I would respectfully request that you stop your endeavours in this area as they are getting me into trouble! laugh.gif

Farmer Giles

• RMweb Gold

Posting all these 7mm ideas is very naughty of you. It takes my mind right off the 2mm work (play), that I should be focussing on, please stop it.

Apologies...I had been taking my prescription against all things 7mm...and then...the symptons reappeared...sweating, nervous excitement, surfing the Gauge O website...

These posts have also led to domestic complaints (from bluebell, and daisy) as they caused me to dig out the 7mm loco that I part built a few years back. I would respectfully request that you stop your endeavours in this area as they are getting me into trouble!

Ah-ha...so you have some dirty 7mm secrets too...it seems strange that people interested in 2mm Finescale would be attracted to this scale, missing out 4mm on the way...but the idea of doing something which is large in a small space is quite compelling...You could always build a 7mm shunting plank to fit within the centre space of your now continuous run - wouldn't bother your angry Farmer then :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The plot thickenned as of today...

Firstly, my copy of Wenford Bridge to Fowey arrived, which confirmed that I had the correct track plan and a few nice photos...

Secondly, with the kind help of Marc Smith, I have managed to locate and secure an unpainted Bachmann Brass 08 shunter...

Thirdly, I ordered the other items of rolling stock from Skytrex, namely a 12T vent van, a 20T BR Brake van and 3 china clay hoods...

All I need, is some track to 'test' them out on now...meanwhile, the credit card is still to hot to touch.

Stay tuned...