wenford dries - 7mm - 1983

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

Mickey - I believe Jon (43179) is taking care of Fowey!

Tom - Yep - another complete waste of money this book - it will be slung on my pile of china clay reference books which get browsed on an all too frequent basis...

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Update - I now have a Bachmann Brassworks unpainted 08 shunter, thanks to a tip off from marc smith :D

Not sure how I am gonna paint those chevrons (and the rest of it in general) but I will save that for a Barcelona rainy day.

It's a beautiful model and I can't wait to see it trundle up and down with a few clay hoods attached.

In terms of the layout, following some very helpful advice in answer to my Marcway v C+L track question posed in the help section, I think I will be going the C+L route although I am tempted to use some Peco in places as much of the track on the layout is covered with a concrete apron, typical of a dries area.

This evening, taking full advantage of my wife's night out with the girls, I couldn't resist to put the latest purchases on the track plan mock up and use a few of the rolling stock boxes to simulate the buildings and help map out the layout. Even though it's on one of my IKEA shelfs (as most of my latest layouts are) I relish the day when I can wile away a bit of time rearranging a few clay hoods around on the extract that I have opted to build for Wenfordbridge dries.

I have (rather cheekily) included in one of the shots, the photo that inspired the layout idea (from Maurice Darts excellent Cornish china clay trains in colour) which shows a shunter on a small trip working in 1983 just prior to the line closure. I almost have all the required rolling stock, but returned the Skytrex 20 Ton Brake Van the other week as it wasn't up to scratch with their other models. I will have a bash at the Slaters kit for that next. It's very compelling this 7mm stuff and a far cry from my usual 2mmFS stuff :O

A few photos to demonstrate 0 gauge in 1900mm x 260mm...

Pete

post-3290-028586500 1287777619_thumb.jpg

Overall shot of layout...

post-3290-057751400 1287777576_thumb.jpg

Track plan is limited but based on extract from prototype...

post-3290-067592200 1287777556_thumb.jpg

Skytrex clay hoods and 20 T vent van...

post-3290-060471600 1287777594_thumb.jpg

Bachmann Brassworks 08 awaiting paintshop....

post-3290-027358100 1287777522_thumb.jpg

The photo that inspired the layout idea...

post-3290-017360800 1287777500_thumb.jpg

The brake van will now be a Slaters kit to complete the train...

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I see two problems with this Pete

1. I have never seen a brass train that runs on paper track.

2. That's going to tale a huge amount of work to convert it to 2mm standards. I think you'd be better off finding a different model as a starting point. laugh.gif

tongue.gif

• RMweb Gold

That's coming along nicely mate biggrin.gif

Mark - thanks - only just found your project this morning - glad to see someone else is using paper track and real engines...eh Kris? ;) Pete

• RMweb Gold

2. That's going to tale a huge amount of work to convert it to 2mm standards. I think you'd be better off finding a different model as a starting point. laugh.gif

tongue.gif

Kris - I first realised I had a problem when the 2FS 'drop in' wheels....didn't 'drop in' :lol:

Thanks for highlighting those two problems....what you were really trying to say was 'Damn...this 7mm stuff is addictive and I am just going to have to dig mine back out again' :P

Am I right or am I right? ;)

• RMweb Premium

Kris - I first realised I had a problem when the 2FS 'drop in' wheels....didn't 'drop in' :lol:

Thanks for highlighting those two problems....what you were really trying to say was 'Damn...this 7mm stuff is addictive and I am just going to have to dig mine back out again' :P

Am I right or am I right? ;)

Nope you're not right, [shhhh] but I did have my 7mm loco out the other day, I do need to take a soldering iron to it to remove a couple of tight spots.[/shhhh]

This morning has seen me get my poster paints out and give a good part of the extension to Avonwick a lick of paint ready for some grass and ballasting later in the week.

• RMweb Gold

Hugh - Thanks - it will be slow, due to other projects but will be enough to dip the 7mm toe - Pete

This morning has seen me get my poster paints out and give a good part of the extension to Avonwick a lick of paint ready for some grass and ballasting later in the week.

...and a bit of soldering whilst awaiting for that lot to dry out ;)

tongue.gif

I've never seen a glass table used as a baseboard before, either... :blink: :rolleyes: :P

This layout is certainly breaking new ground..!!! B) :)

• RMweb Gold

I've never seen a glass table used as a baseboard before, either... :blink: :rolleyes: :P

...it's so people can see my electrics beneath...usually my wiring is a complete mess so I thought why not express it rather than hide it as is the norm on layouts :P

This is nice, I like the idea of the IKEA shelf although I can imagine the reaction I would get if I said what I wanted one for :rolleyes:

I have noticed update/improvement/conversion bits appearing in the 0 Gauge press again for the Lima 33.

I can't remember who used to do both a detailing kit a conversion to a 26 (Kemilway?) but it made up into a nice looking representation.

Perhaps a future project?

I think the thing that keeps me in 0 Gauge (apart from being able to see what I am doing) is the presence of the locos and rolling stock when shunting, it's big, heavy and (IMHO) feels right when the buffers meet.

It's great that you have interests in other scales/gauges, a variety of skills is good (I currently have a 1:12 scale MotoGP bike on the go) but I hope the 0 Gauge stays with you.

regards

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Stewart

I think the 33 was a bit of a impulse purchase...with initial thoughts of converting to a 26/27 and a small shelf layout inspired by the likes of Ian Futers. But about the time I bought it, the Rail Express had the fab article on sprucing up the Lima 33 and the make over was excellent that I might keep it as a 33 and have a crack at it - I think PRMRP are doing the conversion bits now.

As for the IKEA shelves, we had a lot at home and one day I was looking at one thinking that would make a nice idea for a layout on...and now I have a 2mm one, a 4mm one and a 7mm one...same reaction this end too!

What I do like is that it gives constraints to work with and they slide on and off the wall fixings in seconds.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Pete, I am in the process of planning a small layout ( in 2mm!) and I decided to read this thread - always curious about 7mm ( ;)) - and am curious about the weight of these Ikea shelves. I presume like most things Ikea they are made out of melamine or the modern equivalent, which is weighty?

Mine would not have to be put on and off the wall, though that is an idea which would appeal to the missus no doubt - however the possibility of transporting it somewhere will be a consideration for my eventual choice of framework.

Regards,

Chris

post-3290-020213000 1283927144_thumb.jpg

Hi Pete,

Are you making any progress with this? or have the demon's struck and pulled you back to 2mm again .... think 7mm good, 2mm bad ;) lol!

Seriously, am keen to hear any progress your making, plus how are you getting on with switching between 7mm and 2mm? Doesn't it make 2mm modelling even harder?

Rich

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Firstly, my sincere apologies for not replying to the above - Normally, I check my 'watched topics' daily but of recent, I no longer get topics that I have subscribed to...even my own rambles :unsure: I even wrote a topic in the help section asking for advice...but perhaps no-one watched it :lol:

Chris - Sorry about the late response on IKEA shelves...since then I think we have discussed about them on your blog - I fix mine high on the wall...which means I get the odd heart attack moment balancing on a stall removing and reinstalling them!

Rich - Apologies again - Sadly no further progress...am back in 2mm mode...but that doesn't stop me getting dark thoughts every so often...I am purposely resisting purchasing the C+L components for the track as I know what will happen...but that doesn't stop me dropping in to your site for inspiration of course...

Jordan - I like to think of the 7mm project as postponed rather than cancelled :P But if enough of you 7mm guys keep posting those terrific updates...then who knows what will happen :D

Kris - I know you too have similiar 2mm and 7mm interests...is that the other project you were referring to the other day after Avonwick? I recall you hinted you were collecting rolling stock...but did you say in which scale? ;)

Steve - Very true...but imagine a 7mm BR Blue Large Logo 37 shunting those clay hoods....Nurse....screens :lol:

Last weekend, we visited a mini airfield and people were flying their RC airplanes. My wife said, can you swap ALL your trains for just one of those planes? For a split second I was tempted...now, that would be the darkside... :unsure:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pete, the next project, hmm in 7mm. It would sure make for an interesting layout. Theoretically you could just about make portable boards for it but with 2 of the boards needing to be over 10ft long and most likely more than 4ft wide with a structures on about 4ft tall it would not be easy, would look good though. No the next one that I keep muttering about will very much be in 2mm. I will need more space in which to keep it first before I even mention to the other half what I have in mind (black eye yellow face needed here) laugh.gif

• RMweb Premium

You can share it with 'us' if you want first...your secret is safe...with all 10,000+ of us on here :D

When I find some space to put it I'll let you know. Won't be for a couple of years though.

• RMweb Gold

Paul - Agreed...but I can almost justify more the 37 for this little project...even though in reality, it was only 08's that could use the branch I understand.

Kris - no harm plotting though...its always nice to have one's mind drifting away on the next project...