Class A4 4-6-2 in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

49 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Yes that’s precisely what I’m saying. Surely you would ask yourself, why a company would discount a product by that much? 

I think it's also the fact they have been sat on Warehouse shelves for a long time and Hattons needs some revenue from them.

They cannot all be duff, perhaps it's also a reflection that the market for O gauge LNER Pacific and Gresley coaches is not as big as Hattons anticipated.  They also have the coaches on offer (new not preownd), interestingly there are three prices and three grades of coach A £130, B £115 and C are £100 - the lowest grade have two identified faults which are not covered by the 12 month warranty.

So there is a quality control problem and a matter of taking up space in the warehouse.

• Agree 1

An update from me.

I contacted Hattons by phone.

They emailed a pre-paid return label and are arranging for a replacement loco to be sent out and they are apparently going to check it for faults before shipment.

So far, the experience has been straightforward.

Will update this thread when I get the replacement loco.

Obviously Hattons agree we me that even at £299 instead of £750, I should expect a first-class product and not something defective!

Art

Edited by Art Dent
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have finally managed to get all the bits of my £229 Scotsman fitted and test run on my 6ft of track and it seems fine. The only big issue was a missing rear tender axle but Hattons sent me a replacement wheelset within a few days.

Now the blinkers are on, it has become apparent that the smokebox door is at a bit of an angle. Does this come off easily?

Overall, I am really pleased with the model and the excellent after-sales service.

My plans for a WR plank have not changed but there may be the odd visit by a strange celebrity loco now and again!

Scotsman.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have ordered an unnumbered garter blue A4.

I have no legitimate excuse, but I always liked the A4. Unsure what I will number it as - I would have liked Mallard but only single chimney versions are left. Possibly Falcon.

Hopefully it will be ok. Would have left it a bit longer, but they seem to be selling out quickly.

All the best

Katy

• RMweb Premium

I'm disappointed in my new A4, that it completely fails to pull three hatton's coaches round my set track test layout :( It managed one coach "ok" (if not at something you'd call "speed")

Should I just get 6 yards of flexi and try it in a straight line?

Should I give up and put the train in the display cabinet?

It'll be a couple of years before I can get a wide-radius track running in the garden and it would be nice to see it running before 2024.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 29/11/2022 at 10:55, PeterStiles said:

I'm disappointed in my new A4, that it completely fails to pull three hatton's coaches round my set track test layout :( It managed one coach "ok" (if not at something you'd call "speed")

It'll be a couple of years before I can get a wide-radius track running in the garden and it would be nice to see it running before 2024.

Hi,

It seems I have been lucky with my one.

Please see this YouTube link

https://youtu.be/pcs8ndg8Fuo

To be fair it only managed this train on dead level and stalled on al slight gradient.

I subsequently had it running comfortably on an indoor test track with 6 coaches on a tighter radius.

• Like 2

On 29/11/2022 at 10:55, PeterStiles said:

I had similar issues with Sir Nigel Gresley, now coming up to 2 years since bought it, struggled with 6 Dapol/Lionheart MK1's and these run very free compared to the Hatton's teaks. I even ran a Dapol 08 behind to push things on a little, I was convinced it was motor issue especially after going to Hatton's to buy more "toys" (6 hour round trip for me) which I asked them about and one of the new "toys" was 4472 Flying Scotsman.

Basic testing between the A3 and A4 using an old Guagemaster series D for OO which was way under powered, the A3 out performed poor old Nige.

So disassembly and clean up and oiling of main drivers and motion until it felt smooth happened,

yes better, but not by much.

I use DCC, ESU for everything so the A4 was fitted with a Loksound L and ran on a ESU ECoS 50010,

Still struggled with 6 Dapol MK 1's yet a Class 37 did'nt know they were there.

Months past a Loksound L was purchased for the A3, a ESU ECoS 50210 was also purchased and a rake of 8 Hatton's Teaks acquired over that time.

The ECoS was cranked up, test track layout out, the Class 50 hauled a full brake and the rake of 8 Teaks with ease, so next was the A3, 4472, pulled them quite happily, I think the A3 needs a bit more weight in her she was slipping a bit, so while everything was set up I got Nige out, and,

Faultless ran the Teaks as well as the A3.

I'm new to the O gauge scene, less than 2 years and still learning, this was my experience with the A3 and A4, and through this don't discount them just yet, for what they are they are very power hungry, my Heljan 37 and 50 both twin motor can haul the same load on a lesser powered controller compared to the A3 and A4.

So after this long winded story, a good clean, oil, free running and a powerful controller,

Fingers crossed she works for you.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

13 hours ago, UP 4000 said:

I think the A3 needs a bit more weight in her she was slipping a bit

Interesting to hear your comment about the A3 slipping as I can't get my A4 to slip. This could be a problem if it stalls as there could be a risk of motor burnout if the power isn't shut off quickly. The A4 does seem very heavy. Is the A3 lighter?

7 hours ago, Keith Turbutt said:

Interesting to hear your comment about the A3 slipping as I can't get my A4 to slip. This could be a problem if it stalls as there could be a risk of motor burnout if the power isn't shut off quickly. The A4 does seem very heavy. Is the A3 lighter?

Both do slip under load but not by much, 8 Teaks have a fair bit of weight to them, but starting them and dragging them up to speed is fine, there's just a little something, it's hard to describe but I can hear a change of note, they not spinning out of control just I suppose half a turn grabbing the track once in a while.

This could be down to me, it's something I can hear but as I don't have a layout as such, more of a test loop I put down as and when I can which isn't often it's possible due to lack of running.

The pair have only been out once this year and I was happy Sir Nige can do a bit of haulage.

If I remember Hornby Magazine done a review on the A4 and they also reported the A4's lacked power, It's on youtube somewhere I'll try and find a link.

Edited by UP 4000
spelling

Had my A4 running tonight.

Runs very nicely at speed, even with half a dozen coaches behind (Dapol mk1 for the test run). Occasional click, mostly on curves.

At low speed with no load it jerks. Not checked exactly, but seems to be about every ~3 turns of the wheels. With a load it wouldn’t pull away. Just juddering. I pushed it up to a reasonable speed and then it ran nicely.

This was running on DC

Looks very nice though!

All the best

Katy

• RMweb Gold

@Kickstart Impressive work on the layout to date.  It certainly, doesn't look O Gauge for the space that it is fitted into.  Thanks for sharing.

I see that a large number have now sold out as well.  Wish I had acted when I was mulling over whether to get one or not. 

Cheers

Edited by brynna79
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, brynna79 said:

@Kickstart Impressive work on the layout to date.  It certainly, doesn't look O Gauge for the space that it is fitted into.  Thanks for sharing.

Not my layout I am afraid. The loop runs underneath a 16mm narrow gauge layout.

As to the A4, I like them but the chances I will never have space to run one on myself properly. But it can look pretty on a shelf. I possibly have space for a smaller O gauge layout.

All the best

Katy

• 2 weeks later...

I took my replacement A4 to my local O-Gauge Club to test it.

They were most accommodating and she ran without a hitch straight out of the box.

Started running her gently, light engine, then gradually ramped up the speed until it was running at a scale 110 mph.

Tackled curved points, etc without a problem.

The club then suggested some coaches and attached 5 Teaks.  Again, she ran without a problem for a total "running in" time of about 20-25 mins.

Then, the Iron Horse threw a shoe!

Coming around a curve (with a curved point) she lost the driver's side front pony truck wheel, losing the small plastic "washer" in the process (which we didn't find).

Earlier in this thread, someone had posted that the wheels were "wrong' and suggested replacing them.

Rather than 'Araldite' the wheel onto the existing shaft, I thought I'd explore this possibility.

Can someone post a link to the replacements (with an appropriate axle if not included) for the front pony truck?  Would the wheels be a 'push fit' or would they be secured with grub screws?

Thanks in advance,

Art

[Hope I've managed to post the YouTube clip correctly.  Now sorted - YouTube clip should be embedded! ]

Many thanks to the friendly and accommodating folks at http://www.sheffieldogaugegroup.org.uk/ 

Edited by Art Dent
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Art Dent said:

I took my replacement A4 to my local O-Gauge Club to test it.

They were most accommodating and she ran without a hitch straight out of the box.

Started running her gently, light engine, then gradually ramped up the speed until it was running at a scale 110 mph.

Tackled curved points, etc without a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8Z_s9HDp9tc

The club then suggested some coaches and attached 5 Teaks.  Again, she ran without a problem for a total "running in" time of about 20-25 mins.

Then, the Iron Horse threw a shoe!

Coming around a curve (with a curved point) she lost the driver's side front pony truck wheel, losing the small plastic "washer" in the process (which we didn't find).

Earlier in this thread, someone had posted that the wheels were "wrong' and suggested replacing them.

Rather than 'Araldite' the wheel onto the existing shaft, I thought I'd explore this possibility.

Can someone post a link to the replacements (with an appropriate axle if not included) for the front pony truck?  Would the wheels be a 'push fit' or would they be secured with grub screws?

Thanks in advance,

Art

[Hope I've managed to post the YouTube clip correctly.  If not, the 'label' is 8Z_s9HDp9tc.  Looks like I haven't, but the link works.  Don't know how to include a YouTube video as the 'Other Media' > Insert Image from URL link doesn't seem to work. ]

Your link works for me. It does look the part, such a shame they seem to be so fragile.

1 minute ago, Bucoops said:

Your link works for me. It does look the part, such a shame they seem to be so fragile.

Managed to figure it out - use the 'Share' feature for your video!

Post now has the link and the video!

I should have taken a second video with it pulling the rake of Teaks!

Such simple things.

Art

Edited by Art Dent
  • Like 1