Changes impending at Derby in 2018

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps this may add a bit more information for those, like me, who weren't aware of the impending changes:

https://www.railengineer.uk/2017/07/07/derby-railway-station-to-receive-major-200m-investment-to-remove-bottlenecks/

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/expect-major-changes-derby-train-495452

Edited by highpeakman

• RMweb Premium

A track plans of the finished work?

I believe two extra platforms (one island that is) will be built on the current goods lines to the east of the station while most of the splitting of services between London and Birmingham will be done through new pointwork to the north of the platforms rather immediately to the south of them as happens how.

More from the horse's mouth (NR) here:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/lne-and-em/midland-main-line-improvement-programme/derby-resignalling-project/

Key timings:

Piling and enabling works from autumn 2017
Christmas 2017: removal of sidings and goods lines in the Derby station area
January – June 2018: new 320 metre platform will be constructed
Major work from 22 July – 7 October 2018: modifications to the existing platforms, replacing and configuring the track in the station area, testing and commissioning the newly upgraded signalling system

Travel information:
Much of the preparatory work will take place prior to July 2018. However, the volume of work that needs to be completed in 2018 will take 79 days.
From 22 July to 7 October 2018 customers using Derby station will therefore experience significant disruption.
The train and replacement bus service plan covering the major works in 2018 is being developed.
Edited by eastwestdivide

I would suspect that moving the flat junction between the London and Birmingham lines to the north end of the station would be high on the list. Not only would it remove the bottleneck at the south end of the station, but it opens the way to easing the currently very tight curve where the London line curves away from the original Derby- Birmingham alignment.

Jim

If the junctions are moved to the north end of the station, how will this affect the Birmingham - Mottingham services which reverse at Derby?

I expect there will still be crossovers at the south end of the station too. The end result will be that the service to Nottingham will be able to depart without conflicting with other moves. At the moment trains cannot arrive simultaneously from St Pancras and Birmingham, and simultaneous departures are only possible if the arrivals from both Birmingham and London are blocked. I think the new layout means that all trains should be able to arrive/depart from the south without conflicting with anything else, apart from perhaps the Birmingham to Nottingham service which would have to cross over at the south either on arrival or departure. Presumably if crossing over on arrival conflicts with something then crossing over on departure can be done instead, so there should be scope for minimising conflict there too. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A more recent update from Rail Engineer Magazine here which shows old and new track plans

https://www.railengineer.uk/2017/08/25/79-days-at-derby-in-2018/

Of course you could come to our exhibition at the Derby Roundhouse to see the progress although the actual trackwork won't start until later in the year - so then you can come back in 2019 and see it finished !!

• RMweb Gold

I think the new set up will be very good, certainly speed things along, 40mph in as opposed to 15, a possible 40 moves an hour over the south jn as opposed to the current 15 due to conflictions HOWEVER there there will be no storage space within the station, north bays will be gone as will the carriage sidings, south bays, slum sidings and the goods (to turn back), even St. Andrews loop will be going to become a run round siding for Sinfin so you can't even recess there

I'm speaking as someone who regularly has to leave things within the station sidings due to not being able to access the RTC or having to move them out to there for other drivers to take over later in the day, all that will now have to stop, basically if I want to shunt out of the RTC it will now involve running into either one of the new 'london' platforms or one of the 'local' platforms, I won't be able to access the 'north south' platforms from the RTC at all any more

Can't understand why in chaddesden they are taking out points at the south end of a fan of 4 sidings to make them dead ends, those sidings will currently hold a good 15-20 bogie wagons each with the ability to run round them, now it looks like you will have to run into the old no1 siding and use the new run round loop they are installing before running back out of the yard toward the mainline and propelling back into those roads, madness if you ask me, especially as the road to chadd is used regularly by EMT to hold stick waiting to go into or out of etches park f&i sidings, there is a redundant line still pretty much in place alongside the up goods that I think should be recommissioned to be used as a turn back siding from etches park

Be interesting to see what happens to the NR test trains during the blockade, I have heard rumours of various outstations that may be used during it but it's not for me to say yet

Looks as though entry and exit from Etches Park, both to the station and Southbound, will be greatly improved. More than once in the last year morning delays have been cited as down to problems releasing trains from the depot (blamed on late running freight trains/ overrunning engineering works/ traffic congestion). Sometimes it was taken with a large pinch of salt but looking at this, it does all seem plausible.

Edited by RANGERS

• RMweb Premium

This has been a long time coming. It's an ingenious design and hopefully will provide capacity for both future electrification and passenger and freight growth.

Dava

I'm sure that originally the plan included a new access into the RTC from the down main to save trains coming or going from/to the Spondon direction from having to reverse in the station, but looking at those plans it seems that this idea has been dropped.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure that originally the plan included a new access into the RTC from the down main to save trains coming or going from/to the Spondon direction from having to reverse in the station, but looking at those plans it seems that this idea has been dropped.

I think it was dropped on the grounds of cost

Noticed an error in the before and after map too, on the 'before' the line marked bombardier is actually way works 1+2 into and out of the RTC 'under the box', it's been omitted from the after map but bombardier (litchurch lane) has been included in the correct place

This has been a long time coming. It's an ingenious design and hopefully will provide capacity for both future electrification and passenger and freight growth.

Dava

As they seem to be favouring Bi-Modes for the replacements to the HST and as HS2 will be seen as the future of Intercity traffic from the Derby conurbation, I think the electrification ship has sailed for the residual MML as by the time they could erecting the wires (mid to late 2020s given nothing will happen in CP5 up to 2019), HS2 will be well underway, Brexit will have taken effect and we may or may not still have any money to invest, let alone having Comrade Corbyn renationalising everything in sight with the mass union unrest that will unleash.

• RMweb Premium

Plans for before and after from here:-

http://www.railengineer.uk/2017/08/25/79-days-at-derby-in-2018/

Screen-Shot-2017-08-25-at-13.22.29.png

Why the kink leaving platform 5 northbound in the new layout? Surely a smoother exit would allow better acceleration and therefore keep down line occupation. And the need to use platforms 3 & 4 to access Chaddesden to/from Tamworth doesn't improve matters either. Obviously a plan isn't quite how it will be on the ground, but the new layout doesn't appear to smooth out the running lines, there's still going to be lots of zig-zagging through the station layout.

And COLAS(?) seems to be losing its loco holding siding at the north end.

Edited by brushman47544