Stubby47's cakebox entry - Victoria Wharf

Stubby47

A lot of wall signs sometime have nothing to do with the building or its business; its just a big ad space!  A lot seem to rely on a big picture of the product rather than a wordy ad especially in Victorian times as some were still illiterate.

• RMweb Gold

Either no-one has spotted the change in the brick work pattern between the two parts of the building, or you're all being polite and not mentioning it.

Good, I'll keep quiet too and perhaps it will resolve itself...

You were ok until you pointed it out! Flemish bond...ok... Stretcher bond? Nah! English bond please! But don't worry, it is masked by your fantastic eye for colour.

As I am discovering, it doesn't matter what is underneath it, if the colour is wrong, it looks wrong. Paint it well, and it will hide a multitude of sins..

Care to share your method and colours used?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tref.

Base/primer colour is Halfords Plastic Primer which is a nice flat grey.

The main colour is Humbrol Acrylic RC416, which I believe is Southern Yellow. This dry brushed in a patchy fashion, so not trying for a uniform coverage but more a random colour depth.

Individual bricks are then picked out in Humbrol matt enamels - 103 ( yellow), 121 (stone) and 117 ( sea green).

There is further work needed, especially dry brush weathering with a dark green & dark brown, but this will be done once the walls are in place.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

A lot of wall signs sometime have nothing to do with the building or its business; its just a big ad space!  A lot seem to rely on a big picture of the product rather than a wordy ad especially in Victorian times as some were still illiterate.

A good point Brian and definitely food for thought. Browsing through the aforementioned canal architecture books did reveal some examples of painted adverts - I need to find something that will be easy to replicate as a paint mask.

I also now need to choose another colour, as I don't think white will stand out enough against the mainly yellow brickwork. I guess black is the obvious alternative.

• RMweb Gold

Browsing through the aforementioned canal architecture books did reveal some examples of painted adverts - I need to find something that will be easy to replicate as a paint mask.

I also now need to choose another colour, as I don't think white will stand out enough against the mainly yellow brickwork. I guess black is the obvious alternative.

In view of this being the cakebox challenge, I don't know if cake-related adverts might be in order (even if the dates timescale might not be quite right):

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mr+kipling+advert&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjrxqyKw4TXAhWRbFAKHT8LAIwQ_AUICygC&biw=1354&bih=618

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lyons+cake+advert&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJl-HAw4TXAhXFI1AKHZ56C9IQ_AUICigB&biw=1354&bih=618

As for transferring any signs / posters to walls on your model, I don't know if there might be some point in printing your own transfers using "transfer sheets".

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

I have considered transfers ( although poor experiences with them as a child trying to apply them to Airfix planes have left me with a sense of foreboding), but don't want to spend any money on this project and I don't have any transfer sheets in stock.

Using the cutter to make a mask should teach me new skills ( as would using transfers...) and I can possibly control the colour better.

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold

Nice idea Ian, but it doesn't fit the 'history'.

I'm assuming the canal & warehouse were there before the railway was built. The warehouse owners would have had a reasonable 'catchment' for the wall mounted advert. However, when the overbridge was built, it effectively hid the advert from view, hence my wanting to make a ghost sign.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stubby, I read that you are considering making a paper mask for your sign using your cutter, if you do you will need to incorporate ties for the centre of the letters or stick the centres of the letters into position with a removable adhesive, alternatively you may consider using self adhesive vinyl applied with a carrier film. Another method that was used for signs on walls, was a rendered panel with a moulding around it with the sign then painted on to it, if you used this method you would be able to create this on your computer and print it, then just glue it on to the brickwork. I hope this hasn't thrown a spanner in the works. All the best Adrian.

post-17489-0-47274600-1508849646.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Adrian, you are quite right about the tags to the centre of the letters - I'll have to add them all manually, as I don't think any software (at least none I've got) will do that.

Another idea would be to use a John Bull printing set (remember those ! ).

• RMweb Gold

Depending on the monitor / phone used, the green on the walls looks a lot stronger in the photos than it does in reality.  I've also not been completely happy with the general brickwork, so toned the lot down with some cream today. 

post-7025-0-12039400-1508935191_thumb.jpg

I've also painted the door and blocked up doors & windows on the warehouse.

post-7025-0-59633500-1508935447_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

What strikes my fancy is the perfect balance among all the parts of this. It all looks like a small portion of a much larger world that continues "just off stage." Looking forward to what's coming next!

Me too!