Stubby47's cakebox entry - Victoria Wharf

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

With regard to the different bond types could one of the buildings be painted a different brick colour/shade as if one or the other of the warehouses is new?

Shhh!! No-one has noticed yet...

• RMweb Premium

With regard to the different bond types could one of the buildings be painted a different brick colour/shade as if one or the other of the warehouses is new?

I would say that the part done in stretcher bond is actually the older building, which has been re-faced in matching brick when the newer part was built.

The gauge wars are bad enough, without getting into the minutiae of authentic brick-laying......

I'd suggest different densities of weathering to imply older/newer brickwork, at least that's what I'm going to do!

Anyhow, general grot hides a multitude of sins...  :jester:

Weeds, rust, potholes, slime stains, oh my!

One way to do your warehouse sign, is to lay the wall on a scanner and obtain an exact picture of the wall. Then use Photoshop to merge the wall and the sign together. Eg so you can the brickwork etc behind the sign, then print it out

This is one I did for my station shops

post-254-0-04144100-1509189971_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Have you met the (inventive) folk of Radstock?

Sadly not. My edumacation is lacking, clearly. South East born, bred and lived until retirement. Not even terribly knowledgeable about the S&D - although I did have a boss who'd been SM at Bailey Gate.

• RMweb Gold

This lower angle also shows the restricted view of the (to be added) ghost sign. When the bridge sides are added, the sign will be hidden even more.

From a passing train, it will be much more obvious, but not necessarily applicable (being aimed more at the passing boatmen who could stop and purchase the warehouse goods).

I now need to consider the trackbed, track, (dare I say gauge ), and ground work for the upper level.

• RMweb Gold

Upper ground level and bridge floor added, and made a start on the bridge parapets. These will have designs in the panels, made on the cutter - what these will be, I'm not sure yet...

post-7025-0-23022800-1509543172_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-55077400-1509543217_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

From the first picture in post #139 it can be seen that the upper ground level has a rather large change of gradient at the left end of the bridge.

This is resulting in a little bit of re-thinking of how to proceed as neither side is horizontal.

I can probably raise both outer edges and improve things, using extra brick strips to disguise / hide / make a feature of the incline.

Looking at the levels against the warehouse brickwork behind, it appears that the left hand side is level, but the bridge drops to the right, is that just an optical illusion? If not it would seem more a matter of packing up the right hand side of the bridge, either under the bridge where it sits on the support, or by making a new right hand pier, slightly higher.

Even if the left is slightly on the slope, lifting the right hand side of the bridge to give a straight grade would probably be less traumatic to the finished structures, and still look o.k.

I suspect it's the break in the angle that is catching the eye, rather than the levels beibg out, putting it all in a straight line might take the problem away?

Peter

Edited by peter220950

I agree, sometimes the best way to hide something is to make it obvious as if it was always meant to be there.

What highlight it is you have a lot of straight lines - buildings, track bed, brick courses to line up with when viewing from the front which the eye does automatically.

Need to trick the eye......

I would use the warehouse as the datum, get them level and then line everything else up on them, as when I look at the model I see them first.

Colours and feeling of age caught very well.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks gents, and I agree with your thinking.

The warehouse has to be level, everything else can be sloped. I can add a thin plinth to the top of the rhs bridge support which will raise that side, and then use a few strips of angle bricks hide the change in slope on the left.

Not insurmountable, just annoying.

Further musings. I was going to use some Peco concrete platform walling, but the ramp itself is longer than the space I have, so the platform will end abruptly with a fence - maybe with a gate and steps down to track level.

I did for a few moments consider merging the engine shed cakebox idea with this diorama, but it wouldn't have given me the view points in the same way.

Thanks gents, and I agree with your thinking.

The warehouse has to be level, everything else can be sloped.

Not sure about that Stu, I think you might have issues with sloping the water!

But if you manage it, you could hire it out to Irish Navvies for water-skiing!

Hi, Stu, Your bridge arches (like them a lot!) would have been cast iron, so you might consider cast panels.

Bridge decorated panels. Have a look at Friargate bridge Derby, Rather bigger than your canal bridge, but depending on your thoughts on year of construction your panels could have been cast iron similar to Friargate's.

Here the decorative panels appear to be clipped and bolted into place, the main frame of the arch, including the panels, would have been far to big / heavy for the foundry's melting capacity. Also makes sense they only had to make a single pattern for the 40 panels

A couple of intrepid souls have posted recent pictures of the inside of the bridge, ( in need of some TLC!) but showing the panel fixings, also the track support girders with vertigo inducing views down to the road.

A thumbnail of the exterior panel decoration is shown half way down the page at

http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/features/friargatebridge/

Would your postulated Railway Company have the cash to produce a rival design ? 

• Like 1