Stubby47's cakebox entry - Victoria Wharf

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Quayside foundations complete.

This is looking good.

I hope you don't mind me asking: How are you planning to represent the canal "water" - grey mounting card (or even inside of a cereal box) - with some thin, clear, styrene, Perspex or OHP film on top, to give a reflection?

I'd prefer not to ask about anything that might happen to be "floating" on the "water". I suspect that some people might be turned off their Sunday lunch by any talk of "bucket and chuck it" (as certain types of narrowboat "onboard facility" are sometimes "delicately" described, even now).

Huw.

This is looking good.

I hope you don't mind me asking: How are you planning to represent the canal "water" - grey mounting card (or even inside of a cereal box) - with some thin, clear, styrene, Perspex or OHP film on top, to give a reflection?

I'd prefer not to ask about anything that might happen to be "floating" on the "water". I suspect that some people might be turned off their Sunday lunch by any talk of "bucket and chuck it" (as certain types of narrowboat "onboard facility" are sometimes "delicately" described, even now).

Huw.

Its all part of the miracle of life, why be squeamish?

Most narrowboats nowadays have "holding tanks" to be pumped out at canalside sanitary stations.  Its rare to see the traditional "bucket and chuckit" elsan loo on a boat, most boats that don't have a tank will have a portapotti, which has a container that "looks just like a water carrier", HA!, for discreet emptying at the aforesaid sanitary station.  Old fashioned sea toilets that pump overside were outlawed under the construction and use regulation and inspection system years ago.

As for floating solids.  Well there will always be a selfish/antisocial element that will discharge overside rather than take the walk of shame, as it were, but you're more likely to encounter such stuff from canalside farms and their incontinent cows.

Even in a historical context, that sort of thing was rare, there were far worse things lurking under the water, though disentangling a used disposable nappy from around the prop isn't one of my most favourite recollections......

As for representing the water, the card might better represent canal water if it were a brownish colour, with an iridescent skim of green over the "reflective" surface, and lots of misc grot at the margins.

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Gold

The water will be a piece of transparent plastic sheet, painted underneath with greens & browns. The edge of the canal will be a thin strip of corrugated plastic ( ribs vertically) with a capping/edging stone to finish off.

A minimal use of complementary weathering powders will be added on the water surface edge, plus other flotsam as alluded to above.

Before that though, the quayside flagstones are being laid, along with the remains of the NG track.

post-7025-0-06709000-1507471333_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

And the first real cut ( 10thou plasticard), prior to cleaning up the edges.

This was at at a depth of 7 on the cutter - I'll up it to 10 for the rest of the beams.

post-7025-0-50954800-1507725303_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-49958600-1507725326_thumb.jpg

The important width test - this showed the value of the test cut as the original width was too narrow.

post-7025-0-17025000-1507725419_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Stubby you are aware that this has to be ready for November 2018? not next month!

And to think I was about to enter the fray with a field, tree and my two railway items being a to the station sign and a sleeping permanent way worker under the tree........looks like I will have to rethink - I know two trees!!!!!!

Sorted.....

• Like 3

Stubby you are aware that this has to be ready for November 2018? not next month!

And to think I was about to enter the fray with a field, tree and my two railway items being a to the station sign and a sleeping permanent way worker under the tree........looks like I will have to rethink - I know two trees!!!!!!

Sorted.....

I think Stubby has a fair number of Cameo entries on the blocks already.  Against that level of commitment, the cakebox must offer some light relief!

• RMweb Gold

It is a bit of light relief, plus also allowing me to stretch my skills again - this time with the cutter.

I'm hoping to make everything from stuff I already have, so it should be a zero cost item. I was worried about needing to buy some more 10thou plasticard, but have found a stack of high quality card I was given from work.

Just as well as the bridge sides I've made are the wrong shape entirely and will need to be re-drawn, again.

That's exactly what I plan to do, use what I have.

Almost a scrapheap cake box challenge.....

One of my ideas I'm playing around with will have most of it re-used on Little Muddle so even more practical.

Normally when designing for things for the layout I end up thinking outside the box, here I've got to think inside the box for a change......!!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think Mr Stub-U-Like is holding his own internal competition, to select a winner from amongst his many entries in each category. The winners will then be formally entered in the main competition.

I am predicting approx 100 entries per category, and that's to say nothing about the yet-to-be-announced Matchbox Challenge.

Just as well as the bridge sides I've made are the wrong shape entirely and will need to be re-drawn, again.

That's a pity, but it's still proper clever, is that.

• RMweb Gold

No, no, just the one entry ( so far).

It's interesting to see some of the 2011 ideas being discussed again - perspective views, views from carriage windows, a model of a model railway...

Once this one is done I'll let the creative juices bubble away in the background until a suitable and hopefully original idea is formed for CakeBox 2.

No S&DJR entry from you CK?

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

The new arch beams have been stuck in their laminated pairs - the odd bit of colour is the print off the front of the card.

I've stuck them front to front to utilise the inherrent strength of the material which will be counteracting itself and so the outer faces are plain white.

post-7025-0-95829900-1508057884_thumb.jpg

Next step is to embelish the outer beam with further pieces of card, then prime and paint.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I went for SEF as I had enough spare. I've also added the canal edging, having decided that the corrugated iron was not necessary. I can mask the water then paint in black & brown to blend it in.

post-7025-0-74257300-1508072358_thumb.jpg

• Like 11