Stubby47's cakebox entry - Victoria Wharf

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

I've been looking at Great Ducie Street bridge in Manchester, as an example of a bridge with only some of the panels decorated.

post-7025-0-11903900-1509624907_thumb.jpg

They are much narrower than I've initially drawn up, but the concept should be adaptable.

I like the inner structure of the Derby one, the track support is similar to the RAB and approaches at Saltash.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Today's lunchtime modelling session has involved removing a sliver of foamboard from the top of the central wall.

This was causing most of the issues with the gradients. It will mean a bit of remedial word to the bridge arch supports, but nothing major. Initial signs are the track is now much flatter, so the bridge parapets panels and platform fencing will not look at odds with each other, or, as has been mentioned, the warehouse brickwork behind.

As the for the ghost sign, I'm probably going to replace this with a removable / changeable bill board type sign - so different signs can be added for fun purposes. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John.

The canal is just a piece of transparent plastic, painted on the underside with a thin wash of green and a thicker coat of brown.

The bridge is a simple pair of cut out shapes - very simple to draw and send to the cutter; then stuck together.

Observation of real life structures and a willingness to have a go are the key - it's only cheap card and if it goes wrong, just learn why and do it better.

Have a go, take your time, you might surprise yourself.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Right, with a further section of wall removed, the bridge and upper ground level has gone back together and is now virtually flat and level.

I've re-inserted the bridge arches and added some rail supporting beams on the bridge deck. 

One window from the office has yet to be re-attached after a painting mishap, but the warehouse is more or less finished.

post-7025-0-76678400-1509715239_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-23868100-1509715249_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-11605100-1509715256_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 8

Only just got around to reading this thread - really great stuff. I particularly like the use of colour.

Re the industry the warehouse is serving, I came across something in London that might be relevant. While I was walking along Regent's Canal in Islington, I saw a couple of lengths of narrow gauge track by a converted factory, along with some small wagons. Closer inspection during an Open House London weekend revealed that the current building post-dated the track, as one of the supporting pillars actually went between the rails. My research has turned up nothing on the railway itself, but it seems that before the current building (originally a sawmill) went up, there was a ceramics factory on site. My guess is that the narrow gauge railway is to do with that. A railway would probably be the smoothest means of getting the heavy, fragile goods from the factory to the canal for loading. The wagons looked small enough to be pushed by hand. Don't know if this would be of any use to you - as I say, I'm just guessing based on very scanty evidence - but I can at least confirm that there were canal-side narrow gauge railways not a million miles from East London.

Edited by HonestTom

• RMweb Gold

Ceramics would be an idea choice - cake stands, anyone ? - and could account for a good mix of inbound and outbound goods...

(stop it, it's not a layout, it's a diorama..... get a grip on yourself !).

Thanks !!

Edited by Stubby47

<stop it, it's not a layout, it's a diorama..... get a grip on yourself> 

Diorama or no, it gets better and better.  The colour of the water is reminiscent of the Roman baths at Bath!

How about crates/goods on the quay, hand rails on the steps(pre H&S), perhaps a barge or a bit of one complete with bargee, even a lady of ill repute leaning on the wall.  The list goes on...........................

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian.

There is a lot of set dressing to do yet, as you've suggested, with crates and barrels, other canal-side items, fencing for the steps and a few people.

There there will be a similar requirement for the upper level in the goods yard and on the platform.

I'm actually taking more time over this than I thought I would, and am enjoying getting the detail right.

• Like 3