Abbotswood and Norton Junctions - layout build

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Holiday got in way of further progress until this week . Back on to track laying which has now reached scenic boards 9 8 and 7. Abbotswood Junction is split across 8 and 7 and is now looking like this…. 

FA64951D-3A8D-42AC-9001-EF18945E328C.jpeg.536e615b43b495112a849bb3730826fc.jpeg

3 varieties of track on there. Hopefully a good flow through there on all routes  although the goods loop exits are subject to 10 mph restrictions.

Only 3 more boards to do before Birmingham and Gloucester is complete…. By Easter hopefully. 

Then there’s the question of supports. Hoping 6 set ups like this will do the job…. Lightweight and robust. 

B871C11B-58A8-4B50-9643-C1186B59F5FC.jpeg.7e29f2fd2d553019a5311a050a2c9e5e.jpeg

Feels like progress! 

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finished wiring another board today woo hoo. Only two more to do so on course for testing this coming weekend. Had @Liam down to help a couple of weeks ago which speeded things along… many thanks! …. But not putting photos of wiring up as @Clive Mortimore will be along to tell me to rename it as spaghetti junction.

Should be good to go with test running this weekend …

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Finished wiring another board today woo hoo. Only two more to do so on course for testing this coming weekend. Had @Liam down to help a couple of weeks ago which speeded things along… many thanks! …. But not putting photos of wiring up as @Clive Mortimore will be along to tell me to rename it as spaghetti junction.

Should be good to go with test running this weekend …

Dear Lord Bullock of Abbotswood,

In reply to your comment dated 11th April 2022, where one insinuates that I would gleefully mock your model railway's electrical wiring loom. I shall refrain from such lower class activity.

Yours respectfully

Clive "Fat Bald Bloke" Mortimore

Ah go on I could do with a laugh today!!!!!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

The sun is shining …. The layout support legs and beams are up … Jim is round 0900 in the morning for bacon butties and then @Tim Horns wonderful baseboards can sit on top for first trial run of new layout …. Only Birmingham to Gloucester line laid so far . 

040E09E7-38B2-4C18-AFE3-E1184C189A95.jpeg.d03344bb84caf333b4dfbaf6a2fa1f2e.jpeg

Discovered builder did not follow instructions, patio is not level but hard wood wedges for adjustment have solved that…. 

D97BEDAF-BFEE-4287-983A-0725F52129E3.jpeg.e936cd6bb6f3ce2e549fc8a1ff9dfbb0.jpeg

Am sure we will have a video to post after tomorrow.

Woo hoo! Now where is that Accurascale Deltic? 

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Discovered builder did not follow instructions, patio is not level but hard wood wedges for adjustment have solved that…. 

Level is +/- 10mm in civils/builder speak.  I’m sure it’s level.  Just not level enough for us pernickety types!

Paul.

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Level is +/- 10mm in civils/builder speak.  I’m sure it’s level.  Just not level enough for us pernickety types!

Paul.

13 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

I'm not a builder, but patios aren't supposed to be level, at least in one direction, are they? I always thought that a 1 in 60 fall away from buildings is the way it's usually done.

With the good doctors choice in what seem to be riven sandstone flags, level is whatever you want it to be wherever you want it to be!

Mike.

Who will be putting Phil's interpretation of level to the test by asking for level millionaires shortbread when next we meet!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

I'm not a builder, but patios aren't supposed to be level, at least in one direction, are they? I always thought that a 1 in 60 fall away from buildings is the way it's usually done.

But it’s not against the house! Zero risk of flooding 😃

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

With the good doctors choice in what seem to be riven sandstone flags, level is whatever you want it to be wherever you want it to be!

Mike.

Who will be putting Phil's interpretation of level to the test by asking for level millionaires shortbread when next we meet!

But that would be SWMBOs interpretation Mike! You are right about the levels with the riven slabs though …. Although those saw horses do have quite nice soft feet….

Phil

Who will no doubt run some middle wicket dodging motive power tomorrow

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Friendly/supportive 1

54 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

But it’s not against the house! Zero risk of flooding 

But a non-zero risk of standing water, which will potentially damage the paving and in the winter, increase the risk of it freezing and giving you a black ice surface. 

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

But a non-zero risk of standing water, which will potentially damage the paving and in the winter, increase the risk of it freezing and giving you a black ice surface. 

Would have to be deep to form sheet ice on the riven paving and Is free draining between the slabs …

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BroadLeaves said:

Reference to water is a little bit tactless, I feel. 😪

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

The light was going to fade but we got there in the end! Teri did the honours and broke the ribbon. Can’t believe D6336 ran reliably first time out! 

Video link Here

• Round of applause 8

25 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

The light was going to fade but we got there in the end! Teri did the honours and broke the ribbon. Can’t believe D6336 ran reliably first time out! 

Video link Here

Now is the time to start getting excited. Can't wait for a continuation of the familiar captioned train movements. They've been a bit miss.

Bob

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Now is the time to start getting excited. Can't wait for a continuation of the familiar captioned train movements. They've been a bit miss.

Bob

Thanks Bob. They will be back once we have sorted glitches, added Oxford line and scenic.

Hope you can wait a bit longer….

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Congratulations all round Phil.

Putting a Western on Freightliners, an inspired choice!

Mike.

Cheers Mike suspect Mr Downendian Will like that too….

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Saw it on Faceache, thought best not to make a comment as not all your friends would understand I am always rude to you.

A class 22......Birmingham to Gloucester?????? surely it should have been a Compound, or  Jubilee or a Peak .

Well that bit works, looking forward to seeing the rest of it operational. And the spiders web of the wiring.

• Like 1