Abbotswood and Norton Junctions - layout build

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Liam said:

Cracking mix of motive power Phil, I do hope they’ll be given plenty of chances to stretch their legs on Mk2!  

Eventually…. But chips needed 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

No layout or loco work for the last 48 hours…. Had the pleasure of a visit from @Andy 17 and his good lady yesterday ….. fettled the DCC settings on his 009 loco and had a good waffle, and thanks both for the cream teas. Really enjoyed those last night.

It was good to catch up with you Phil. Thanks for all the fettling, Bridget now runs a lot smoother. Glad to hear you enjoyed the cream teas.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Fine weather has meant more scenic progress …. Scenic boards 4 5 and 6 have been sealed with PVA, board 7 has terrain as do 8 and 9 although a bit more work needed on them. Here are boards 6 & 7 which shows how much more flowing the scenery will be than on the old layout…. Definitely more rolling Worcestershire than Yorkshire dales! 

2B66544F-419B-4867-A82C-B505EF25D8E8.jpeg.f4275ebda7f292fad2fe172612710479.jpeg

Will need to find some paint soon …. Any recommendations for Earth colour, thinking burnt sienna.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Liam said:

The scenery looks spot on for Abbotswood Phil, now that I’m used to traversing it on journeys to and from Devon. Now about adding some birdsong... 😀

Cheers! It does suffer from compression particularly front to back but much easier to get flowing topography with XPS sheet than with plywood risers and chicken wire…

I keep planting bird seed at home but none ever grow…. 

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Phil Bullock changed the title to Abbotswood and Norton Junctions - layout build
  • RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

The ski jump looks quite a fearsome gradient - or is it just the camera angle?

Paul.

Its 1:60 Paul… the topography around it falls away initially which makes it look steeper I think

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Its 1:60 Paul… the topography around it falls away initially which makes it look steeper I think

Having looked (properly this time!) it’s the topography that was getting me. It looked steeper than my 1:33!

Paul.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Doing electrical work on fiddle yard board 7 today …. With points. Wired it all up only to get shorts when testing.

After telling folks to wire points with live frogs and stock rail jumpers guess what ….. I had forgotten to break the link wires spanning the insulating break.

Stupid boy…. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Done that, and not found it until glued solidly.  Razor saw will pull the spot welded jumper off then you can get the other end with pliers.

Paul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Done that, and not found it until glued solidly.  Razor saw will pull the spot welded jumper off then you can get the other end with pliers.

Paul.

Ah I just cut the stock rails on the switch side of the insulating break with the dremmel … not the first time! 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

More progress with scenery and electrics …. On the scenery front now need to build the Abbotswood road bridge to ensure the embankment slope and height of topography are correct in that location. 

On the electrics front finished OWW wiring on board 9 yesterday …. And also added protection to the exits from the two up B&G short sidings on the same board - that’s them top right, ideal for storing short trains to send scooting around whilst loops are sorted out… light loco, DPU, route learner, inspection saloon etc

97C8E511-15BC-49F8-A569-2E093FC2306D.jpeg.3b802f7fadf65d15bd086b54be2df8af.jpeg

This protection is key to preventing short circuits if operators inadvertently try to exit a siding without selecting the correct route . With frogs powered off the cobalt Digitals this would precipitate an immediate short circuit halting all other traffic. On the old layout with frog juicers you could get away with it electrically although derailment usually  followed.

For protection I have installed these…

99E7F40F-93CF-4B94-A033-3881EE0AD9CC.jpeg.aef641348bf634f5e40c4513fb206d92.jpeg

A DCC controlled switch controlling the power to the track section in advance of the point. Each is actually two switches with separate DCC accessory addresses. As installed in the sidings these just switch track power on or off - integrating them in to routes means operators won’t be able to move a train off without setting the appropriate route.

Next step is to look at using them on the loops. That’s a different ball game as the dead sections have to stop trains as well as controlling their starting …. And locos fitted with stay alives risk proceeding through a dead section. Time to explore asymmetrical braking sections I think…..

Of course DCC (Don’t Confuse Clive) wiring is simple 😀 ! Aim is to ensure we put on a good show when we are out and minimise the risk of operator errors within my limited knowledge of electronics. Hopefully if this all works as planned operators will be able to forget a train once it is clear of the fiddle yard entry points as it will halt automatically…. And will be able to switch attention to the next train to keep something moving to keep the punters happy.

Edited by Phil Bullock
Clarity
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Downendian said:

Great stuff Phil. “Operators inadvertently exiting sidings without selecting correct route” I’m guilty of that one for sure on Abbotswood I! Can’t wait to see the full set up.

Neil 

You are not alone my friend…. The owner is just as culpable 😉

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Downendian said:

Great stuff Phil. “Operators inadvertently exiting sidings without selecting correct route” I’m guilty of that one for sure on Abbotswood I! Can’t wait to see the full set up.

Neil 

Or just as bad, as has happened to me on a few occasions with different layouts, “Operators inadvertently hitting a siding’s dead end without selecting correct route”...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Liam said:

Or just as bad, as has happened to me on a few occasions with different layouts, “Operators inadvertently hitting a siding’s dead end without selecting correct route”...

And probably prototypical!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

And probably prototypical!

Judging by the Bristol Yard at Severn Tunnel Jcnm it was 100% prototypical.  However it was far more hair-raising one day at Radyr when one of mu.y Train Meeters backed the afternoon Margam into a road containing 70+SLUs of empty tank cars instead of going down an empty road.  I heard one heck of a bang, leapt to the office window and the first thing I saw was a Grampus about 12 feet up in the air on its way back down.

As the Canton vans couldn't get to the site because the Up Relief was blocked by derailed wagons in the Margam I had to hone my re-railing skills getting things back on the road without breaking them or anything else.  A Hyfit full of concrete sleepers made a quite an alarming noise when it dropped back on the road after I'd had buffer securing bolts gas-axed at both ends to make buffers fall off - fortunately it dropped exactly where I wanted it to (re-railed all wheels).  The other wagons I did were only off one pair of wheels so it was out with old bits of sleeper, old fishplates, and some steel plate and carefully working out whether to push or pull (or push and then pull).

Incidentally old fishplates were always useful when re-railing because they were hard enough to support a wheel when it ran onto them although they then usually broke once the weight was on the middle of the fishplate but with luck  the wheel dropped in the right place.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Best thing to do with that weasel bandy!, anything but drink it.

Mike.

With you on that one Mike! Lucky this bottle of proper beer didn’t fit so I had to drink it….

Cheers!

84FC7300-2C14-44E0-AF62-6582DEDB7CA4.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1