Abbotswood and Norton Junctions - layout build

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

That looks very good Phil.  it will be interesting to hear how reliable it is in 'everyday' (aka. exhibition) operating conditions and, in particular, how well the crank securing stands up to repeated use. 

Indeed Mike once I am happy all is ok I will be reinforcing the crank mountings with glue. The routes they control are additional luxuries to give operational flexibility in the OWW fiddle yard however and it would not be the end of the world if they failed at a show …. Would just lock them to straight routes 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/08/2022 at 16:33, Clive Mortimore said:

All looks very impressive but will it fly?

On 16/08/2022 at 16:58, 5BarVT said:

Of course not, it’s a train!

Paul.

Ah but it does have an all singing fly by wire two wire control system so just maybe it might…. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Latest update…. Progress hasn’t been rapid this last week due to climate change….. it just keeps changing! 

But the last of the track has been laid in the high level fiddle yard today including the high level reversing loop… and the OWW main line is now heading back on to the scenic boards to Norton Junction…. 

6C8F6905-D151-4D3F-93E8-DC06F879E091.jpeg.f1e00dae0b556a8f76d123cfafe1f573.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I know it's allegedly been hot in blighty, but is that entirely necessary?

Mike.

He thinks it is! Always in his shorts weather regardless!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Scenic activity today! Looking rough at the moment but you can see where it’s going…. The road over bridge is 2/3 of the way down at the point where the topography is at its highest. 

4DDC2905-A7EC-4B28-B566-EB6518F195CA.jpeg.210c3ca5e26f4f94f732be16460a6316.jpeg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, PjKing1 said:

Looking good Phil, you’ll soon be making new videos!!! 🤗

Cheers Paul we can’t wait! We didn’t hit the target of running this weekend so went for the scenery instead. 

James is building the road over rail bridge on these boards…. I have to do the rail over rail that is now by Parkway station before I can complete the track 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Cheers Paul we can’t wait! We didn’t hit the target of running this weekend so went for the scenery instead. 

James is building the road over rail bridge on these boards…. I have to do the rail over rail that is now by Parkway station before I can complete the track 

Looking forward to it, bet you can’t wait to be running trains again mate

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

With the insertion of the bridge - temporarily for the moment - track laying is complete!

Bridge needs packing to ensue levels are correct plus wing walls, copings and handrails fitting before final painting and permanent fitting, 

22F3C40A-9A5A-459F-AD59-C4F8CA490B0A.jpeg.c84f538027f942e9e4ebd66d2a664bd7.jpeg4F8FE586-FC38-4BA1-AE78-35BAA20BAA5F.jpeg.7608a217f7536cc8e4e0a526a5185ed7.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I’m struggling to orientate myself! (Since the block plan disappeared in the Great Crash.)

Is that the OWW bridge with BAG below and the Down Goods?  If so, is the Abbotswood Curve on another board?

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

I’m struggling to orientate myself! (Since the block plan disappeared in the Great Crash.)

Is that the OWW bridge with BAG below and the Down Goods?  If so, is the Abbotswood Curve on another board?

Paul.

You have it Paul! The Abbotswood chord is over on left just visible behind the glue bottle in the second photo. T’aint much of a curve though! Due to compression I have had to lay it pretty straight….

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah!  Eyes playing tricks - I had registered the edge of the gradient support as the edge of the board and not looked beyond.

As with the chord, thanks for keeping me straight!

Paul.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So first outing will be at GWSR diesel gala July 2023… we have had the invite. 

Won’t be scenically complete but aim is to have all track work, electrics, railway infrastructure, roads and bridges in place plus a few suitable ready to plonk buildings… 

Going to need a couple more trial set ups in village hall before then. Which is rather fitting as back in the early 70s we had our St John’s MRS layout in Norton village hall which will be on the layout. 

There’s no web page to link to yet but I am told the date is 7th-9th July 2023.

Edited by Phil Bullock
Date added
  • Like 9

Phil,

I had better start planning a week away with the wife to coincide, then we can stumble across a model railway exhibition we could go to.

"Do you fancy a couple of hours looking a trains, pet?".

While you're there, it's our 40th anniversary tomorrow. We'll be having breakfast at the Kettle Sings. Long way from Durham for a full English but I'm sure it's worth it.

The evening will be spent AT the Moody Cow, hopefully not with one.

Bob

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/10/2022 at 17:46, RBAGE said:

Phil,

I had better start planning a week away with the wife to coincide, then we can stumble across a model railway exhibition we could go to.

"Do you fancy a couple of hours looking a trains, pet?".

While you're there, it's our 40th anniversary tomorrow. We'll be having breakfast at the Kettle Sings. Long way from Durham for a full English but I'm sure it's worth it.

The evening will be spent AT the Moody Cow, hopefully not with one.

Bob

Ah The Kettle Sings…. The scene of a few boiled egg and soldiers when I were a lad! Still an excellent venue now. 

Whatever arrangements you need to make it work so you can come along …. Will try and give good notice. 

Meanwhile more progress…. The pesky rail over rail bridge has caused more issues than anticipated but at last it’s in! Basic land form evolving too…

675AAE5A-8BEC-4A52-BAE4-D786ECA1EDE0.jpeg.b5ecf0c79a55b34ac6979c717b209971.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Spelling Timothy!
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

My Dear Lord Bullock of Abbotswood,

I presume you have seen all the hullabaloo about this new TT:120, looks spiffing doesn't it. I was just inquiring if your good self are going to  replace your doublo train set with this brand new system? It would give one far greater distances between the locations and make them appear more realistic.

Or are you in the same frame of mind as me and wondering what all the fuss is about?

Inspector Mortimore

LMS 12 ton Van Police.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Dear Inspector Mortimore,

Honest Guv …. I mean, you expect me to run a timetable on the LM/WR with no Peaks or hydraulics and class one trains made up of composites with no catering vehicles? The punters won’t have it… the LMS van police would have nowt on the ensuing scrum 😀

But scaling of scenery would be much easier as you say. The non railway topography had to rise from zero elevation at the rail over rail bridge to 5 inches at Norton in a distance of 72 inches …. A gradient of 1 in 15 I reckon! We will have to import Welsh farm livestock with legs on one side shorter than t’other ….. Lincolnshire flat land types would never cope!

Cant see it catching on meself…. But we may find fewer 4mm models as a result of certain manufacturers 1:120 production. But I don’t buy it from

them these days, they don’t make anything for me…. 

But the King of Bash Street could always see what other Mk1 coaches he could produce from a CK and BCK! 😄

Eeh happy modelling, back on the scenery today ….. although Slaati Blaatvast would not be impressed, not a Fjord to be seen.

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

11 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Dear Inspector Mortimore,

Honest Guv …. I mean, you expect me to run a timetable on the LM/WR with no Peaks or hydraulics and class one trains made up of composites with no catering vehicles? The punters won’t have it… the LMS van police would have nowt on the ensuing scrum 😀

But scaling of scenery would be much easier as you say. The non railway topography had to rise from zero elevation at the rail over rail bridge to 5 inches at Norton in a distance of 72 inches …. A gradient of 1 in 15 I reckon! We will have to import Welsh farm livestock with legs on one side shorter than t’other ….. Lincolnshire flat land types would never cope!

Cant see it catching on meself…. But we may find fewer 4mm models as a result of certain manufacturers 1:120 production. But I don’t buy it from

them these days, they don’t make anything for me…. 

But the King of Bash Street could always see what other Mk1 coaches he could produce from a CK and BCK! 😄

Eeh happy modelling, back on the scenery today ….. although Slaati Blaatvast would not be impressed, not a Fjord to be seen.

He got an award you know. For his fjords.

Hurry up or you'll be late.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

No layout or loco work for the last 48 hours…. Had the pleasure of a visit from @Andy 17 and his good lady yesterday ….. fettled the DCC settings on his 009 loco and had a good waffle, and thanks both for the cream teas. Really enjoyed those last night.

Today was the Worcester loco society annual  85A open day …. An annual meeting of like minded railway folk, professional and ameteur. Took our display of 85A motive power from the 60s along, much favourable banter ensued.

0A0074F4-7FA2-45B7-8727-D84D4C48715E.jpeg.7e0341cd6e4f976eb804130789da4a52.jpeg

Thanks to Chris Wilkinson for the invite, Steve Widdowson and CLPG for loan of the headboard and Brian Thomas for the photo.

It’s an annual event…. Well worth attending. Back to the layout tomorrow.

Edited by Phil Bullock
Thanks added
  • Like 7