Abbotswood and Norton Junctions - layout build

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Saw it on Faceache, thought best not to make a comment as not all your friends would understand I am always rude to you.

A class 22......Birmingham to Gloucester?????? surely it should have been a Compound, or  Jubilee or a Peak .

Well that bit works, looking forward to seeing the rest of it operational. And the spiders web of the wiring.

No need to worry Clive most of them are rude to me too! 

Ah we tried 4 Peaks but none would behave and I couldn’t be bothered to go up to the modelling den to get some more and D6336 was enjoying itself so we let her do the honours. 

22s certainly got as far north as Bromsgrove, one probably did get up the Lickey and one did make it to BNS from Oxford so may be not quite so whacky as it first looks. 

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

No need to worry Clive most of them are rude to me too! 

Ah we tried 4 Peaks but none would behave and I couldn’t be bothered to go up to the modelling den to get some more and D6336 was enjoying itself so we let her do the honours. 

22s certainly got as far north as Bromsgrove, one probably did get up the Lickey and one did make it to BNS from Oxford so may be not quite so whacky as it first looks. 

Cheers

Hi Phil

But did the class 22s get back under their own power?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Cheers Mike suspect Mr Downendian Will like that too….

Indeed Phil - Westerns were regular performers on the 4E70 Danygraig-Stratford and return. Headcodes already in place with some of my fleet. Lovely to see progress and looking forward to more action.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Great to see your first run, Phil.

Nothing wrong with a Class 22, substituted at Gloucester perhaps for a failed Peak?

John.

Wot???????? A failed Peak??????

Shocked of the middle of nowhere Lincolnshire

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Great to see your first run, Phil.

Nothing wrong with a Class 22, substituted at Gloucester perhaps for a failed Peak?

John.

Cheers John. In fact that one did get to Worcester following two failures on a Padd - Worcester train …. A warship was replaced by a Brush 4 and when that was failed at Oxford D6336 was all Oxford had available.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mostly a running session today … This photo gives a good idea of the scale of @Tim Horns excellent boards.

4B88E69D-CD30-4D2D-8478-7EB760B1004E.jpeg.6ab0b845f51592b9d634076045a88692.jpeg

We also started the terrain for the chord up to Norton. It’s straighter than I would have liked …. Should be a sweeping left hand curve but lack of room forces compromise.

5B1C1611-456A-4333-896E-DA42C64630B3.jpeg.b89b84a572beb240849fb0bdf192d9c3.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

6 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Mostly a running session today … This photo gives a good idea of the scale of @Tim Horns excellent boards.

4B88E69D-CD30-4D2D-8478-7EB760B1004E.jpeg.6ab0b845f51592b9d634076045a88692.jpeg

We also started the terrain for the chord up to Norton. It’s straighter than I would have liked …. Should be a sweeping left hand curve but lack of room forces compromise.

5B1C1611-456A-4333-896E-DA42C64630B3.jpeg.b89b84a572beb240849fb0bdf192d9c3.jpeg

Wow! I like that, very much.

Well done Phil.

Like a phoenix, rising from the flames swamp, even bigger and to be so much better.

I can't wait.

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lord Bullock of Abbotswood please may I ask you a question?

How many roadies do you have to load (and unload) all those baseboards into the articulated lorry you will need to shift it? It looks huge.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Lord Bullock of Abbotswood please may I ask you a question?

How many roadies do you have to load (and unload) all those baseboards into the articulated lorry you will need to shift it? It looks huge.

4 man crew ….. does that come with 4 roadies? 😉

Will all go in a Luton van …. Clever design! Oh hang on heard something like that somewhere else….

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Wow! I like that, very much.

Well done Phil.

Like a phoenix, rising from the flames swamp, even bigger and to be so much better.

I can't wait.

Bob

Cheers Bob there’s a great filming angle around the curve through the junction…

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Luton vans only have three seats though!

Mike.

Very true! It’s why I got a compact SUV that James can drive… 😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Luton vans only have three seats though!

Mike.

This reminds me of the horse lorry we used to have for my half sister‘s horse. The only seats with seatbelts were in the cab of the lorry, so basically as a young boy who was used to being strapped in to the back of cars  I loved it because you were guaranteed to sit in the front, as the only alternative was sitting in the back without a seatbelt! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

What is wrong with lying on top of the gear in the back of the van. I traveled many a mile in vans when I use help my mates bands on top of the amps. As for sitting on top of ammo or petrol in the back of a 4 tonner.....

Reminds me of the time on exercise either the ammo truck or the one full of jerrycans broke down so we loaded both on the one truck. That night I was in the cab for a change. As we were going along the battery was ambushed so we were supposed to stop and go through the ambush drill. There were flares and thunderflashes going off all over the place, the bombardier who was driving just put his foot down and went around the stopped battery. We got past the ambush and an offer acting as umpire waved us down, "You were not supposed to do that". The bombardier lent out the cab, grabbed this officer by the collar and yanked him up, "With this f'ing lot I was not going to stop". As the officer was lowered to the ground, "Oh that was good initiative, corporal". The bombardier did with strain himself when he was called corporal. Only just because for the next ten minutes "He called me f'ing corporal"

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

What is wrong with lying on top of the gear in the back of the van. I traveled many a mile in vans when I use help my mates bands on top of the amps. As for sitting on top of ammo or petrol in the back of a 4 tonner.....

Reminds me of the time on exercise either the ammo truck or the one full of jerrycans broke down so we loaded both on the one truck. That night I was in the cab for a change. As we were going along the battery was ambushed so we were supposed to stop and go through the ambush drill. There were flares and thunderflashes going off all over the place, the bombardier who was driving just put his foot down and went around the stopped battery. We got past the ambush and an offer acting as umpire waved us down, "You were not supposed to do that". The bombardier lent out the cab, grabbed this officer by the collar and yanked him up, "With this f'ing lot I was not going to stop". As the officer was lowered to the ground, "Oh that was good initiative, corporal". The bombardier did with strain himself when he was called corporal. Only just because for the next ten minutes "He called me f'ing corporal"

Sitting on top of the ammo? Sounds like a T72! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We took the layout down this evening… 1.75 hours with two and a half folks and one power driver. 

With a 4 man crew and two power drivers should not take much over an hour….

• Like 3