Abbotswood and Norton Junctions - layout build

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

We took the layout down this evening… 1.75 hours with two and a half folks and one power driver. 

With a 4 man crew and two power drivers should not take much over an hour….

You're sounding like an O level maths question Phil!

Mike.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, RBAGE said:

Phil,

I'm sure you've told us previously but please indulge a recent pensioner. When and where is the first planned outing?

Bob

Morning Bob 

Aiming for GWSR diesel gala this time next year ….. a local and low key shake down starter

Let me know if you ever want to come in n the crew again!

Phil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You're sounding like an O level maths question Phil!

Mike.

Very true Mine. I like to  do that with youngsters counting the wagons in trains ….. ok if there are 30 coal wagons each carrying 16 tons of coal then how much coal does the train carry?

Its something new generations won’t have seen in real life …. a railway that is a major artery of industrial production.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Morning Bob 

Aiming for GWSR diesel gala this time next year ….. a local and low key shake down starter

Phil

Phil,

Not wishing to be too presumptuous, but that was part of my reason for asking. Assuming you always intend exhibiting in attractive parts of the country, it will be easy for me to convince the boss that we need a week away in a cottage somewhere.

"Where should we go dear?".

Bob

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Phil,

Not wishing to be too presumptuous, but that was part of my reason for asking. Assuming you always intend exhibiting in attractive parts of the country, it will be easy for me to convince the boss that we need a week away in a cottage somewhere.

Bob

I've got an idea where there's a patio you could get a caravan on!

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Very true Mine. I like to  do that with youngsters counting the wagons in trains ….. ok if there are 30 coal wagons each carrying 16 tons of coal then how much coal does the train carry?

Its something new generations won’t have seen in real life …. a railway that is a major artery of industrial production.

Phil

I hope you get them to include each individual tare weight in their calculations too, no slacking!

Mike.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Phil,

Bob

Not all all Bob …. You would be most welcome and the Cotswolds is always nice…..😉

Just take you good lady to any branch of Huffkins tea rooms and your minor duplicity will soon be forgotten…. 

Will keep you in the loop …. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I hope you get them to include each individual tare weight in their calculations too, no slacking!

Mike.

That’s the next steps …. But would probably have to explain what T and CWT stand for first ….

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've got an idea where there's a patio you could get a caravan on!

Mike.

Platform 1 or 2? That’s what Teri calls it! Think she knew what was coming…

• Funny 1

Not all all Bob …. You would be most welcome and the Cotswolds is always nice…..😉

Just take you good lady to any branch of Huffkins tea rooms and your minor duplicity will soon be forgotten…. 

Will keep you in the loop …. 

"In the loop". On the main, I hope.

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Morning Bob 

Phil

And might there be capacity for another operator? 😉

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Following discussions on the Point rodding and signal wires thread have moved back here to avoid thread drift.

Got the junction boards out today and decided that with the track work as it was there was no easy place to locate the signal box if rodding runs we’re going to be sensible. Here’s the original location.A8959B16-4DEE-4916-ABDA-8ECB82369B00.jpeg.cdfee5142a61e89f36cf9d314b5eb5ea.jpeg

The box was just too far up the junction for the junction rodding runs to make sense unless I set it right back behind the line of the up goods loop which did not gel for me.

The answer was to shorten the loop siding and drop the box back down from the junction so the rodding for Junction points and FPL can come straight off the right hand side of the bed. 

8EE63FC6-8FFB-47E9-8682-3E9F723993E8.jpeg.5caf929144f649addcd7dac87d849d2d.jpeg

Sorted! Had not thought about this when originally siting box …. Now just need to work out rodding runs. Thanks to @TheSignalEngineerand @The Stationmaster for help and advice so far.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Phil,

How are you going to make the rodding runs and cranks etc?  Or perhaps more appositely whose kit are you going to use to make them?  The Wills kit isn't too bad in terms of what it offers and its appearance (alright for ex LMR, no good for WR as the rod rollers are to the 'standard' pattern) but it is overscale especially when it comes to multiple rod runs.

PS is that short stretch of concrete sleepered track between the trailing point out of the loop and the junction facer correct?

Edited by The Stationmaster

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Track laying reached Norton Junction today 

Looking down (OWW) towards Worcester

72B58EDF-AB0A-45AE-960B-61454A769A0B.jpeg.f9972ddb07c5a3d8973d1ca756a85af6.jpeg

And up… take the left hand route for Evesham Oxford and London… right for Abbotswood and Gloucester.

E4A73426-04E3-4AC9-A922-7B1E743DE0AA.jpeg.762deb747470a84498e1deeaf3ba0f3c.jpeg

Have increased the 6ft on the OWW as a nod to its broad gauge heritage and staggered the junction points to make rodding installation easier.

Really like the way this has turned out, the P way has a very nice flow to it. 

Currently debating whether to go for historical accuracy … basic running lines … or back date a few years with the lay by before the halt on the up side and the siding between the junction and rail over rail bridge included…

• Like 13

Currently debating whether to go for historical accuracy … basic running lines … or back date a few years with the lay by before the halt on the up side and the siding between the junction and rail over rail bridge included…

The policy of 'less is more' tends to help make scenes (that are perhaps already compressed from reality) look more convincing. 

Regards,

Cameron

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mophead45143 said:

The policy of 'less is more' tends to help make scenes (that are perhaps already compressed from reality) look more convincing. 

Regards,

Cameron

Very true…. And we have already compressed what should be a roughly equilateral triangle of track in to a pretty shallow isoceles …. But largely countryside . 

• RMweb Gold
On 09/05/2022 at 12:21, The Stationmaster said:

Phil,

How are you going to make the rodding runs and cranks etc?  Or perhaps more appositely whose kit are you going to use to make them?  The Wills kit isn't too bad in terms of what it offers and its appearance (alright for ex LMR, no good for WR as the rod rollers are to the 'standard' pattern) but it is overscale especially when it comes to multiple rod runs.

PS is that short stretch of concrete sleepered track between the trailing point out of the loop and the junction facer correct?

Morning Mike

Sorry only just seen this … have not been ignoring you! 

Did you see my post in the Point rodding and signal wires thread? Have spent cash on MSE components… far more to scale that the Wills ones. The rollers are a pretty generic white metal casting …. The alternative I did consider was the Brassmasters etches but they need soldering up and I feared for my sanity! As the one foot viewing rule will apply once installed their easier installation wins the day …. And that 0.4mm square section NS rod is pretty fine, soldering round section drop arms to the cranks on to it will be fun!

As for that short stretch of quedgleys finest concos I deliberated about that … it’s another excuse to link to my Favourite photo as it’s the section of the down main D1048 is running on. The up main nearest to us is certainly concos and concluded the down was too…. Although of course my length is somewhat compressed.

Thanks for thoughts as always! 

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

They do look very nice Mike! But given that the rollers alone are about 40p each the cost would escalate dramatically even on relatively simple installations like mine.

Still getting to grips with finances in retirement but if my soldering skills fail with the MSE ones then these could be a useful fall back if only for the cranks….

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks like mounting the MSE rodding rollers on stools cut from paxolin sleepers will give something approaching the correct height for the point rodding..,,

AAADBED6-3766-4B27-84C0-50C08D67A706.thumb.jpeg.0f6220dcd98b2913b3ede502203ac16a.jpeg

Meanwhile OWW track laying has progressed past the site of the M5 over bridge and through the back scene…. On to the high lever fiddle yard when weather allows…

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Track laying has now progressed from Norton Junction as far as the entrance to the high level OWW fiddle yard… 

4C79A342-85F3-49A4-93B2-BA7469CE33C8.thumb.jpeg.401331f11c000640937a70aedbe0c2d4.jpeg

Crack on, bonny lad. Crack on.

• Like 1