Mersey Gateway Crossing

Widnes Model Centre

For members information:

Not sure what is the best location for this, so if it should be elsewhere, admin please move.

As of the 14th October 2017, the Runcorn Widnes Bridge is now closed for at least 6 months.

Anyone who is traveling to any of the of the model shops in Widnes will now need to use the Mersey Gateway Crossing. This is a tolled crossing and costs £2.00 each way. There are no toll booths and it is Automatic Number Plate Recognition. You have until midnight the following day to pay. Don't get caught out and end up with a penalty charge. When the old bridge re-opens it will also be tolled.

On a positive note, the journey time from the M56 to Widnes has been slashed, it is a wonderful piece of engineering.

www.merseyflow.co.uk

Thanks  for  the  info,

I see  that  many  problems  will arrise  with  the  toll  system, I can  imagine  imagine  many  will  just  not  see the  signs  despite  there  probably being  many  of  them.

I had  heard  that  Mersey Tunnels  tolls  were also  going  to  rise  to  the  same  £2  rate  to  prevent  motorists  trying  to  save  a  copper  or  2  by  going   'the  other way'

Its a wonderful piece of engineering, but it shouldn't be tolled.

Look at the Queensway (Birkenhead) tunnel.  Opened July 1934, promised that charges would be abolished once construction costs had been recouped. We're stll paying to use it 83 years later.  Familiar promises, eh?

Anyhow, now there's a toll charge to access the northen side of the Mersey by car, no matter which route you choose!

We  are  drifting  off topic  , there  was  a TV prog  about  tunnels some  months  ago,  the  Queensway Tunnel  was apparently  constructed  with  space  under  the  road  way  section  for  a  Tramway  which  was  never  built,  the  space  eventually  being  used  for  cables  pipelines   etc.

Re  the  Widnes  Toll system, what  about  those   motorists  who  dont  have  computers  and  are  not on line,  there  must  be  quite  a  few who fall into  that  cetegory

All part of the plan to keep the southerners out.  :sungum: 

Seriously though if they are putting tolls on them then it should just be for a certain length of time, say five or ten years and recuperate as much as you can before making it free. The Mersey tunnels should have been free years ago. Even as a non driver who hardly uses them I can agree with that.

Jason

We  are  drifting  off topic  , there  was  a TV prog  about  tunnels some  months  ago,  the  Queensway Tunnel  was apparently  constructed  with  space  under  the  road  way  section  for  a  Tramway  which  was  never  built,  the  space  eventually  being  used  for  cables  pipelines   etc.

Re  the  Widnes  Toll system, what  about  those   motorists  who  dont  have  computers  and  are  not on line,  there  must  be  quite  a  few who fall into  that  cetegory

Hi Steve, apparently you can telephone and make payment over the phone or use Payzone in many shops I am told.

I think Sankey is the nearest and as pointed out above it'll probably not be worth bothering.

Jason

That  is  near  Earlstown  I believe>?  My  Uncle  was  the  office  manager  for  the  Sankey  Sugar   Company,  probably  not  many  will remember  Sankey  sugar  but  it   had  a  brand  share  almost  equal  to  Tate  & Lyle,  Whoops off topic!

• Like 1

Before the old Runcorn - Widnes bridge was built c.1960 you had the choice of taking the Transporter (like the one in Middlesbro') or the footpath alongside the LNWR bridge which had a toll booth at the Widnes end and a B.R. employee to collect your 1d's   I never minded going to visit my aunt Lillian as the transporter was at the bottom of her street and one could ride across to Widnes on it and back via the railway bridge. The transporter was scrapped when the road bridge opened but the B.R. footpath remained open for many years and was brilliant for seeing locos working hard at very close quarters.  I have no problem with privately financed bridges or roads charging a toll but seeing that the 1960 road bridge was paid off by the tax-payer over half a century ago and is part of the national network it seems a 'bit rich' to start charging now.

Ray.

This is hardly a unique situation. The Dartford crossing of the Thames uses exactly the same system.

Jim

Interesting about tolls and ways to cross the Mersey at Runcorn. Tell me if the old bridge has been shut how are people who cycle going to making the crossing as I'm led to believe that one cannot cycle over the new bridge ?

Yes, there are no cyclists allowed on the new bridge which has a 60 mph speed limit on it. The old Silver Jubilee Bridge, although closed to vehicles is still  open for pedestrians and cyclists. When it re-opens there will be only one lane in each direction for vehicles. There was a great deal of money spent when it was widened to take two lanes each way, now it will be back down to one.

Yes, there are no cyclists allowed on the new bridge which has a 60 mph speed limit on it. The old Silver Jubilee Bridge, although closed to vehicles is still  open for pedestrians and cyclists. When it re-opens there will be only one lane in each direction for vehicles. There was a great deal of money spent when it was widened to take two lanes each way, now it will be back down to one.

Right that explains my question thank you. I only asked as I know a lot of people who work at the Tesco RDC cycle from Runcorn and it was not made clear on the gateway site. I tried to register myself last night but have up waiting ....

When  I  was  very  young, my  Dad  worked as a   Salesman  for  a  Paint  company  and  occasionally  I would  go with  him, around  his  calls, I remember  him going to  Runcorn,  and parking  up  to  watch  the  Transporter Bridge  in  action,  I got  the  impression  it  moved  very  slowly.

• RMweb Premium

Have they put up any signs showing an alternative un-tolled route now they have closed the Silver Jubilee bridge?

Are there signs up on the M20 advising people to go via Heathrow to avoid the Dartford or signs on the M4 advising drivers to go via Gloucester to avoid the tolls? No is the answer - the signage directs people on the shortest route in distance terms, tolls or not.

As such the Rucorn crossing will be the same - yes there are signs just before the bridge saying "exit here to avoid the toll" but thats all they will say. If you really want to avoid the tolls and go via Warrington then you are on your own as it were.

• RMweb Premium

Given that we are all in the UK, and allegedly "Better Together", it's a bit of a mockery that in Scotland, all bridges (Skye / new Forth Crossing) are Free, in Wales they are reducing the cost of the Severn Crossing come January (something to do with being VAT exempt, so 20% cheaper) and yet in England, they still persist with toll charges.

Motorists are being penalised by postcode as to where they live or the routes they regularly travel. We shouldn't complain though, because if they ever went for a level playing field, no doubt they would have us all paying.

• RMweb Premium

Given that we are all in the UK, and allegedly "Better Together", it's a bit of a mockery that in Scotland, all bridges (Skye / new Forth Crossing) are Free, in Wales they are reducing the cost of the Severn Crossing come January (something to do with being VAT exempt, so 20% cheaper) and yet in England, they still persist with toll charges.

Motorists are being penalised by postcode as to where they live or the routes they regularly travel. We shouldn't complain though, because if they ever went for a level playing field, no doubt they would have us all paying.

You could make the same comparisons with other things though.

Prescription charges, Hospital Parking and Tuition fees being just 3 examples where persons living in England (because it is still ruled by Westminster) have to cough up where as the devolved administrations have decided otherwise.

Its a similar situation with railway re-openings unfortunately with the dead hand of HM Treasury in Whitehall sinking any attempts in England, in complete contrast to Scotland....

It is about time motorists paid more. As a motorist I understand that side of the argument, and having driven a lot in France where most motorways are tolled I see the advantages. The A75 is free except for the Millau viaduct section which is to a simlar design and toll section is about the same length but costs a lot more that the Mersey bridge.

The big problem , though is the payment system. Something similar was introduced on the M25 bridge. Again the French system with toll booths works far better, and by using one simple electronic device you can go through without stopping, and yourget charged automatically, and your bank pays without you having to make any calls.

Maybe the concept of , you have paid off/enough  should be extended to insurance, as insurance seems to go up every year. Maybe rail travel should be free as they were paid for many years ago.

It is common for people to grumble about closure of local model railway shops, but maybe the answer is to use cars/roads less and shop locally. Car sales are down(Vauxhall just announced job cuts ), so maybe the wheel is finally coming off the road lobby . I have noticed councils are introducing, or are planning to introduce car parking charges(eg Wigan),which is fine, just as long as its a level playng field and out of town stores are expected to pay as well.

As a motorist with over 40 yeas driving experience, I am now looking at ways of getting around without a car, even exhibitions(both visiting and exhibiting).

It was interesting to see Pete Waterman on TV last Friday and even as a local resident who does not qualify for free use, he supports the toll.

It  also seems that we are capable of building a road bridge and connecting roads in less than 5 years(plus planning), but can't even build new  railways or upgrade our railways.

£2 each way? (plus consumption of fuel of your choice)

It's no so much the charge but how do you pay the following day if you don't have internet banking? Will a cheque in the post be sufficient?

G

It is common for people to grumble about closure of local model railway shops, but maybe the answer is to use cars/roads less and shop locally. 

The funny thing is I can't get to any of my "local" model shops without a car, or at least a train journey to places like Widnes or Chester.

Even if I want something more than the basic things you can get from a Tesco Metro, then I have to pay £4.30 return on a bus. No wonder internet shopping is booming.

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

It is about time motorists paid more. As a motorist I understand that side of the argument, and having driven a lot in France where most motorways are tolled I see the advantages. The A75 is free except for the Millau viaduct section which is to a simlar design and toll section is about the same length but costs a lot more that the Mersey bridge.

The big problem , though is the payment system. Something similar was introduced on the M25 bridge. Again the French system with toll booths works far better, and by using one simple electronic device you can go through without stopping, and yourget charged automatically, and your bank pays without you having to make any calls.

Maybe the concept of , you have paid off/enough  should be extended to insurance, as insurance seems to go up every year. Maybe rail travel should be free as they were paid for many years ago.

It is common for people to grumble about closure of local model railway shops, but maybe the answer is to use cars/roads less and shop locally. Car sales are down(Vauxhall just announced job cuts ), so maybe the wheel is finally coming off the road lobby . I have noticed councils are introducing, or are planning to introduce car parking charges(eg Wigan),which is fine, just as long as its a level playng field and out of town stores are expected to pay as well.

As a motorist with over 40 yeas driving experience, I am now looking at ways of getting around without a car, even exhibitions(both visiting and exhibiting).

It was interesting to see Pete Waterman on TV last Friday and even as a local resident who does not qualify for free use, he supports the toll.

It  also seems that we are capable of building a road bridge and connecting roads in less than 5 years(plus planning), but can't even build new  railways or upgrade our railways.

We have a liber t tag through sanef for France and only pay when we use the tolls no monthly fee

We accept the toll fee to get from Calais to Charente faster

And it's great fun seeing non tagged uk cars follow us into the tag lanes.....been had a caravan follow us once which as there was a 1.85m high barrier across the tag lane proved interesting

But what really annoys me is the same company operates the dartford crossing but I can't use the tag for that

To be fair liber t accept it is crazy but apparently the billing has to be separated so uk gov can have some control