Arun Quay by Gordon Gravett in MRJ 258

toffee

Just a quick 'heads up' to draw attention to those who don't normally buy MRJ. 10 pages and a cover on Mr Gravetts latest epic, 7ft x 1ft 9in of Sussex coastline in the 50s. Yet another example of a master modellers work, sheer bliss.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick 'heads up' to draw attention to those who don't normally buy MRJ. 10 pages and a cover on Mr Gravetts latest epic, 7ft x 1ft 9in of Sussex coastline in the 50s. Yet another example of a master modellers work, sheer bliss.

Got a copy and Arun Quay is simply stunning! I'd recommend purchasing the magazine, I'd love to know more about the techniques they use, everything looks so natural.

Thanks for posting the pictures Gilbert.

Steve.

Edited by sb67

I'd like to know the source of the non-spearhead iron fencing. Just what I need.

Fantastic layout.

I have been known to catch myself snipping off all the spears from a Scalelink etch. But life really is too short...

...scandalous comment alert.... but.....did anyone else consider it slightly over-lit? I thought some of the colours looked a bit washed-out.

I'd love to know more about the techniques used on the layout and stock weathering, does antone know if Gordon has a website or blog anywhere?

Steve.

Gordon previously wrote in MRJ an article about the buildings built for the layout. There are also two books about modelling in O gauge and three more recent books about modelling trees and grassland from Wild Swan that have all his techniques in.

Andrew

Agreed, met Gordon and Maggie on a visit to the Talyllyn years ago and have always found them to be friendly at any shows I've seen them at. Their first layout, 'Llandydref' is what inspired me to put down my oo trainset and build my first 7mm narrow gauge loco.

Cheers,

Andrew

Gordon is such an original and lateral thinker. Placing the quay side at the rear of the layout with the entry/exit track at the front and descending from the staging is brilliant and counter intuitive. I can't wait to see Arun Quay in the flesh.

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just noticed Arun Quay is booked to appear at the Bristol O Gauge show, this Sunday, 28th January 2018....

http://www.bogg7mmexhibition.com/268486981

I was going anyway, but this makes the visit a whole lot better. Good stuff!

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall
  • Like 1

Just noticed Arun Quay is booked to appear at the Bristol O Gauge show, this Sunday, 28th January 2018....

http://www.bogg7mmexhibition.com/268486981

I was going anyway, but this makes the visit a whole lot better. Good stuff!

Regards

Dan

Yes, always enjoy the Bristol O Gauge show. It starts my modelling year off :)

Agreed that Gordon & Maggie are really friendly people and always a real pleasure to see & chat to them

Gordon's 7mm modelling books are among my favourite modelling books, and of course, many of his / their techniques and methods are transferrable to other scales too

Arun Quay is possibly my favourite ever layout. It's even better "in the flesh" than in photos. I was captivated by it, and at any one time, there was only one loco and a maximum of 5 wagons on it....

Lovely modelling, absolutely lovely.

• Like 2

I saw it for the first time at Bristol yesterday and for me it stole the show! Not only superb modelling but the best lit layout I've ever seen. Maggie showed me how it all packed away to fit in the back of their car. Brilliant!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

It's a fab model, beautifully atmospheric and packed with features.

Although I saw it last year at Warminster, I could watch it for hours and enjoyed seeing it again yesterday.

I was admiring the way that his 'P' class tank loco was crawling so smoothly with a short train and that got my thought processes thinking about the Hattons 4mm one. Odd, that!

• Like 2

I was admiring the way that his 'P' class tank loco was crawling so smoothly with a short train and that got my thought processes thinking about the Hattons 4mm one. Odd, that!

Steady there that man - you have started down the slippery slope to 7mm modelling, there is no way back!

• Like 1

I was amazed at the almost imperceptible join between the two baseboards on Arun Quay. It's a fab model, beautifully atmospheric and packed with features.

I had to look twice after asking if it was all in one large unit!

Jon

• Like 1

I was always captivated by Ditchling Green but I think they sold that.

Paul R

Yes, Ditchling Green has always been among my favourite layouts - perhaps up until now, my favourite O gauge layout

With Ditchling, Gordon proved you can build an interesting, well detailed layout in 7mm scale in a relatively small space, and that while Peco O Gauge track might not be perfect - it's still possible for it to look pretty good

Edited by marc smith