Accurascale

• RMweb Gold

I tried (mostly in vain) to coax info on forthcoming projects from Fran and Patrick yesterday - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134076-rails-of-sheffield-fantastic-new-showroom/ - but there are some nuggets for the future in there.

You'll need the rack/thumbscrews/iron maiden etc, and even then I don't think it will get you very far!

Mike.

I tried (mostly in vain) to coax info on forthcoming projects from Fran and Patrick yesterday - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134076-rails-of-sheffield-fantastic-new-showroom/ - but there are some nuggets for the future in there.

One of the very interesting snippets was that Accurascale / Irish Rail do their own CAD work (and that they seem to be saying they use air freight rather than surface shipping, as there are no direct container routes from China to Ireland). This may help explain why they can generate a product from measurements to shelves so quickly, compared to others?

• RMweb Gold

I tried (mostly in vain) to coax info on forthcoming projects from Fran and Patrick yesterday - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134076-rails-of-sheffield-fantastic-new-showroom/ - but there are some nuggets for the future in there.

During that whole interview I had the Dad’s Army “don’t tell ‘em your name, Pike!” scene going through my head but I’m glad we managed to hold out. But, as I said in the interview, is it the best way, or is an annual announcement (one we’d be able to stick to, of course!) be the best way forward? Let us know. :)

We rounded off our very productive trip with a spin behind this beastie on the Worth Valley Railway. A truly fantastic preserved line. Apologies for the poor photo, it was the last one I took before my phone died.

Just in the airport awaiting our journey back to the old sod with lots of measurements and fresh ideas.

Cheers,

Fran

post-7114-0-72131900-1526147913_thumb.jpeg

Edited by 071
  • Like 6

You cannot win with the timescales for your announcements. There will be an equal number of critics of either approach. Surely you must decide what you would want as modellers, which is how you started this whole thing?

Great interview by the way!! Your USP seems to be doing the CADs in-house, which appears to serve you extremely well - especially the aspect of designing full size and then reducing to scale to explore the EP issues which may cause the production practicability compromises. I wonder why so few others do that. Air freight is another issue, but you explained the particular reasons for that.

One day, you will make the 102t JXA/POA scrap metal bogie wagons, or the Autic2 or Cartic4 wagons, or even a LowMac, that I need, and I will be first in the queue.

• Like 2

Hi Mike, 

We survey the piece of rolling stock (I've an inherent mistrust of Works' Drawings), do the 2d line drawings and then the 3D model. At least that way we know that there's been no compromise on body shape or overall dimensions and then we get into the nitty gritty with the Asian Engineers about min thicknesses of plastic and so on. This process helps keep the focus on producing a model, rather than worrying whether an Asian Engineer can capture the "look" of a prototype he/she has never seen before. We'll then do the decoration (colours) and graphics plates (markings, running numbers) and dispatch those. That project is effectively done from the design end and I can move on to the next, whilst the other lads take it from there with Box Art, R&D, Sales, Marketing etc. 

I've over simplified the process, and there's loads of crossover of roles between all four of us, and plenty refining of the process required yet, but it suits us, though every day is a school day. 

RM.

(p.s. we also have ways of validating a design with non-existent stock :sungum:)

• Like 2

Hi Mike, 

We survey the piece of rolling stock (I've an inherent mistrust of Works' Drawings), do the 2d line drawings and then the 3D model. At least that way we know that there's been no compromise on body shape or overall dimensions and then we get into the nitty gritty with the Asian Engineers about min thicknesses of plastic and so on. This process helps keep the focus on producing a model, rather than worrying whether an Asian Engineer can capture the "look" of a prototype he/she has never seen before. We'll then do the decoration (colours) and graphics plates (markings, running numbers) and dispatch those. That project is effectively done from the design end and I can move on to the next, whilst the other lads take it from there with Box Art, R&D, Sales, Marketing etc. 

I've over simplified the process, and there's loads of crossover of roles between all four of us, and plenty refining of the process required yet, but it suits us, though every day is a school day. 

RM.

(p.s. we also have ways of validating a design with non-existent stock :sungum:)

That seems a bit too logical. No wonder few others have done it that way lately..........

• RMweb Gold

But, as I said in the interview, is it the best way, or is an annual announcement (one we’d be able to stick to, of course!) be the best way forward? Let us know. :)

Half the fun of the hobby is the unknown.

An annual announcement is a mountain of excitement followed by a flat. I prefer several hills.

As for timing, with the HUO it’s been spot on... announcement to delivery is very good timing, plus you got feedback too on the design.

I say the same for Hattons and the P’s and Barclays, the timing was pretty good, though noticeably it was a bit too late for feedback on some aspects.

Rather than setting a stage in the process, i’d go with a time.. when you know it’s 6-9mths out stun us all.

It also allows you wiggle room for a mid-season announcement for those dark rainy nights in front of the TV when suddenly someone knocks on the door at 2am and runs away leaving you a full set of works drawings for a GT3 / LYR4-6-0 or a 6 wh milk tanker on the door step and is too good to miss.

That’s my thoughts, sure others may differ.

Ps... on your Facebook page the video of the 45’s and the HUO’s . what was that GWR 2-6-0 looking loco emitting smoke and running much better than Bachmann’s N or Mogul ? - was it seeded or coincidental ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ps... on your Facebook page the video of the 45’s and the HUO’s . what was that GWR 2-6-0 looking loco emitting smoke and running much better than Bachmann’s N or Mogul ? - was it seeded or coincidental ?

No, it was a Hornby 4-4-0 owned by another club member (the layout is the running layout in my local club)

Like your hunting for clues though!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You cannot win with the timescales for your announcements. There will be an equal number of critics of either approach. Surely you must decide what you would want as modellers, which is how you started this whole thing?

Great interview by the way!! Your USP seems to be doing the CADs in-house, which appears to serve you extremely well - especially the aspect of designing full size and then reducing to scale to explore the EP issues which may cause the production practicability compromises. I wonder why so few others do that. Air freight is another issue, but you explained the particular reasons for that.

One day, you will make the 102t JXA/POA scrap metal bogie wagons, or the Autic2 or Cartic4 wagons, or even a LowMac, that I need, and I will be first in the queue.

Having a chat with the two chaps on Friday enabled me to get in first with my 'suitable for South Wales and Monmouthshire early 1960s' request, especially a 21 ton flat bottom mineral wagon (but a Lowmac would be nice too).  

I definitely wouldn't like to play poker with this pair because underneath the amiable exteriors lies a steel resolve to say absolutely nothing beyond 'would you like to see what we're doing on this wagon as they produce a sample of their latest Irish outline item?'  Which is amazing as it happens - prototypical rotating axlebox bogies where the axleboxes really do rotate, in 4mm scale :O   That nice Mr Churchward had the right words for that sort of detail engineering.

However they did drop a slight hint in conversation - which could of course have been a red herring but equally simply was along the lines of a very subtle 'don't tell him your name Pike' statement.  But it would be more than what remains of my reputation to repeat it and by the time anyone asks me what it was I've no doubt that my advancing years will have totally erased it from my memory.  But whatever they do next even if it's only half as good as the HUOs it will be superb - and of course their standards aren't going to drop to 'half as good'.

So just announce things when you're ready - no timetable or any of that sort of thing and none of the 'annual announcements' stuff either please.

Edit to correct typo, sorry

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

One of the very interesting snippets was that Accurascale / Irish Rail do their own CAD work (and that they seem to be saying they use air freight rather than surface shipping, as there are no direct container routes from China to Ireland). This may help explain why they can generate a product from measurements to shelves so quickly, compared to others?

Well, so far it has worked for us, so we'll keep going with this plan of action until we find an even more efficient way. :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

In an earlier post you reported that you were on your way home with "lots of measurements and new ideas". You won't tell us what it is but will you tell us which part of the country the measurements were obtained?

You've also asked if the buying public would prefer to have an annual plan or be informed as models are approaching fruition. I like the chase that you seem to be encouraging. The crack and the trickery in trying to get you to spill the beans. Knowing that you're not going to come out and tell us straight but hoping that you might let a snippet of information slip.

So, you were in Sheffield and then a bit further north on the Worth Valley Railway. Sounds like it's somewhere in the north. 

• RMweb Gold

You won't tell us what it is but will you tell us which part of the country the measurements were obtained?

Not a hope!

What I will say is that we clocked up over 400 miles on the hire car over the course of the few days. That’s all yer getting!

Edited by 071

• RMweb Gold

Arrived home from Krakow 3 hours late tonight due to Europe’s bumpy weather, I saw the DPD card saying, parcel over the fence...not just over the 2m fence, but 3m clear of it.. meaning they either bounced or it was a rugby conversion shot..

Oh no...post-20773-0-10275300-1527630903_thumb.jpeg

Outside after a day in a monsoon, and a 2m high fence toss, how bad could it be...

post-20773-0-25748200-1527630953_thumb.jpeg

Not a mark.. the accurascale guys obviously thought of this, as inside the bubble wrapped contents was a plastic sleeve protecting the box containing the all important wagons inside..post-20773-0-75784800-1527631018_thumb.jpeg

Which contained a solidly fastened plastic tray with 3 wrapped wagons, which look like this...

post-20773-0-08392400-1527631065_thumb.jpeg

post-20773-0-42434400-1527631081_thumb.jpeg

And have printed detail like this... (excuse the iPad image, I’ve taken it’s zoom to its limit)..

post-20773-0-39353800-1527631130_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-25259200-1527631144_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-30430500-1527631159_thumb.jpeg

Lovely sprung buffers, but look at the separately detailed handles, the separate wiring handles around the outside.post-20773-0-13997900-1527631171_thumb.jpeg

Each wagon is uniquely different, it’s not just the number, the black patches are different, the painted numbers are different styles, the notices are different, i’d Go as far as to say the handwritten notices look different !!!.post-20773-0-04561700-1527631427_thumb.jpeg

And finally here’s something you don’t get every day....

The handles on the ends of the wagon.. are moveable / poseable...

post-20773-0-28525800-1527631591_thumb.jpegpost-20773-0-60902100-1527631600_thumb.jpeg

Thank you boys, i’ll Be trying to give them a quick spin tomorrow !

4x packs of 3 here, plus the Rails set to follow, probably add a few more to the consist soon too, and above all each wagon isn’t just a different number... each one is uniquely different ! (Now i’m A die-hard trainset style modeller..you know..no weathering but this is a bit hard to resist to weather, indeed all that’s missing is some beating / denting of the metal works on the sides to reflect a neglected hard life.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 10

You Sir, are most welcome. 

Yes, each and every piece of text is unique and have several alphabets now made up of legitimate handwriting, ropey stencils, oddball markings, all from real folk who inspected these wagons that will be expanded upon and put to use in years to come. Great to see that you guys appreciate the nerd factor we put into this :)  

Once again, we are humbled by your words. 

RM

Edited by Irish_R_M
  • Like 4

Second order of wagons is reportedly on it's way and I'm as excited about the this delivery as I was the first.

Seems a bit crazy but I think I am more impressed with this launch than any other I can recall (including K1 and Q6).

I think it's the quality and level of detail, combined with the excitement of what comes next.

I hope it's something I can use on a layout based in County Durham.

Sits back and waits to see if the lads have taken the bait.

• RMweb Gold

DPD are the Pits TBH, no Comeback, Left a Package outside my door all day in View of passers by. I hate to think how you deal with these guys if the delivery went missing!

Lovely Wagons though.

We had one IRM dropped at the wrong address and DPD went above and beyond to get it to the right address. That was the only one that has gone Walkies so far and we’ve had one damage return, which was in fairness to DPD down to a plastic cover inside the Box not being inserted by the factory. We’ve sent out a couple of thousand parcels with them and we’re delighted with their service :)

• Like 5