RMweb

Christmas TV Adverts ALREADY?!? The Bah, Humbug Thread.

F-UnitMad

• RMweb Gold

I wonder what it is like living next door to a house where the owners put up masses of lights and dancing Santas etc., but you prefer to do nothing at all?

It it a case of being seen as a miserable old git and mentally bullied into complying, or is it one of 'if you can't beat them join them'?

If the decorated house is opposite, you must need blackout curtains after dark. 

A bloke in the road where we used to live put up all his outdoor lights at the beginning of Advent every year - looked awful and we rather unneighbourly sincerely hoped that he would suffer all sorts of problems, preferably even worse than the power cut he caused to the rest of the road one Christmas Day

A bloke in the road where we used to live put up all his outdoor lights at the beginning of Advent every year - looked awful and we rather unneighbourly sincerely hoped that he would suffer all sorts of problems, preferably even worse than the power cut he caused to the rest of the road one Christmas Day

My late Father in Law once rendered himself persona non grata across a large chunk of Gloucestershire by dropping a tree on an electrical substation the day before the local village show. That is, just when the serious competitive bakers had their cakes in the oven :D.

• Like 2

What you have to remember is that many of the major retailers are already thinking of next Easter. When I was working for a big High Street stationer/bookshop our first job in January was to work out the orders for next Christmas' cards and calendars.

I have insider information that we have less than a week to go before the local Morrisons starts playing their usual truly dire selection of "Festive Music" for the apparent delight of some shoppers and the vexation of many. 

I live in fear of being in the place when they play that awful Slade Christmas song, as they certainly will at least once an hour ...

What you have to remember is that many of the major retailers are already thinking of next Easter. When I was working for a big High Street stationer/bookshop our first job in January was to work out the orders for next Christmas' cards and calendars.

Forget the planning, I just wish that Christmas would start in December as I have already had enough of Politically Correct adverts!

• RMweb Premium

There are twelve days of Christmas, eleven and a half too many and none of them in November....

I am running a 1973 edition of the Christmas Radio Times through a photocopier to save a few quid this year.  :jester:

• Like 1

Forget the planning, I just wish that Christmas would start in December as I have already had enough of Politically Correct adverts!

I agree with you, by the time Christmas arrived we menials on the shop floor were heartily fed up with it. December is quite soon enough for advertising, after all, we all know it's coming, we even remember the date! I wonder when the Victorians started Xmas shopping? Probably on Xmas day if you were Scrooge.

My late Father in Law once rendered himself persona non grata across a large chunk of Gloucestershire by dropping a tree on an electrical substation the day before the local village show. That is, just when the serious competitive bakers had their cakes in the oven :D.

Well, I once cut through a redifussion cable in Gloucester just before Coronation St, (or may have been Eastenders).  Was I popular!

• Like 2

Hi Guys....

Does anyone else recall those halcyon days when commercial TV had the decency not to broadcast adverts on Christmas Day......? Cannot remember it vividly but I am sure this was the case....!

Regards

Bob

As one of those who was introduced to toy trains at about five years old, Christmas is the one holiday that still is exciting.  Gone are the multiple gifts, no more pillow cases stuffed with goodies but I still look forward to Christmas and the annual tree which these days is unpacked form the box each year rather than being chopped down in the forest.  Its got smaller over the years too and now it sits on a stand in the window for all to see in its decorated glory.  No presents to pile high though as they all seem to come from Amazon these days but with luck I shall find a train book and buy something for the layout to play with on Christmas morning.

Brian.

• Like 6

I love Christmas and don't mind the adverts.

Remember most members of RMweb were probably introduced to model railways one Christmas long ago. ;)

I was, but it was before we got a telly, and in the days when there was only advertising on one of the two channels anyway. Christmas was OK in those days!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Beer and gin Advent calendars!? From a supermarket Black Friday advert. In response to an earlier post's query - What about non-Christians? I don't think Christianity gets much of a look in now. It's the god's of consumerism and gluttony that rule - OK?

Christmas is the day we celebrate the birth of Santa.

It's a bit mean making him work hard on his birthday. With all that flying round the world and climbing up and down chimneys, surely he'll be too exhausted to blow out the candles on his cake!

• RMweb Gold

It's a bit mean making him work hard on his birthday. With all that flying round the world and climbing up and down chimneys, surely he'll be too exhausted to blow out the candles on his cake!

I'm always reminded of a Dave Allen joke.

3 Kids talking about Xmas day, the first a Catholic says that he goes down stairs and opens all his presents to find toys, lots & lots of toys.

The 2nd kid (Protestant) say he also goes downstairs to a mountain of presents and when he opens them he's also got toys, lots & lots of toys.

The 3rd kid (jewish) says on Xmas day he and his father go to the toy factory which is empty and thank the other children's God for Xmas.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I think a lot of you have missed something here.  People need to have it rammed into their brains that it is Christmas so they don't forget to go out on Christmas Eve and stock up with bread, milk and everything else they can cram into a trolley because the shops are going to be shut for weeks!