OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

was that coach unique among the apt build? any idea why it was built without articulated bogies?

48204 was rebuilt late in the project to see if using conventional bogies were viable in the power/ weight ratio for the train. The advantages of servicing and altering train lengths are obviously apparent.

Whether it was a technical success or not, I don't know....but late in the APTs career, it was certainly a regular sight in the formations. I'm not sure it ever ran in passenger service though...but I could be wrong.

Later,

Stu from EGDL

First of all many thanks for someone finally having the guts to take the gamble on producing this iconic, if only short lasted, piece of railway history.

I only hope that Rapido does not suddenly reveal the crowd funded production of the HST prototype or I will really be in a dilemma.

Like many, as a modeller on a limited budget the ability to pay in instalments is a massive bonus since by the time i've saved for many of the items released by major manufacturers they are surprisingly no longer available or the price is constantly increasing beyond my budget.

As much as i'd like the 10 or 14 car set, I think these work out at 10' and 14' respectively and so would be feasible as long as its purely a roundy roundy and I don't intend to stop at stations. (time to construct another layout/track purely for HST/APT-E/APT-P... and hopefully the Rapido HST Prototype in due course me thinks).

My main reason for not submitting an order at present is due to other potential commitments and the minimal spec details available to date, which I'm sure will be forthcoming in the near future and help secure more bids.

To add to some of the comments previously mentioned, I personally would like to see directional and interior lighting as standard, a facility to add DCC sound if required and the price to be kept as low as possible within reason to encourage more take up. (after all once the moulds and production lines etc are in place the cost per unit comes down with numbers produced.

Having previously bought both the APT-E and eventually the Bachmann Blue Pullman sets, I must admit that the glossy brochures, added figures and additional 'bumf' such as the fancy packaging are nice to have but not what I personally consider essential.

What I do consider essential, is a nice, well detailed and decorated model that runs smoothly for a price we can all afford.

After all I intend to run my items,not display them in their pristine packaging or sell them for a profit,on that well known auction site like some entrepeneurs may wish to.

So, cutting to the chase,

once we can get some information on confirmed specs such as length,lighting,preliminary photos of side-on and head-on configurations (not necessarily of intended model), payments etc I will gladly sign up (hopefully for the 10 or 14), as at the moment I still feel that this is a big commitment for little confirmed facts about the model.

So please,

can we have more info and hopefully a GUARANTEED final price so that more of us can make that 'leap of faith'and commit to supporting this venture. Once this is done I honestly believe that as per the Rapido APT-E project, peoples commitment will show a dramatic thumbs up and the more of us that commit... the quicker we will get to enjoy playing trains. ( apologies to those of us who still maintain they do not play, but run scheduled timescales or display accurate scale reproductions and may be offended. each to their own).

Yours Aye,

Giz

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Life is not without risk, we just have to balance the risk with the potential reward. For many of us the risk has been assessed as being outweighed by the benefit and we are prepared to part with our cash.

I also think the “persons unknown” lacks basis. Both Dave Jones and Durham Trains are known entities...

Roy

Life is certainly not without risk.  The risk appears to be paying for something that is not yet available in fact is far from available.  If I buy from Hornby or Bachmann I get the goods.  If I pay for a car it arrives.  Dave Jones and Durham Trains may be known "entities"  to you but not to me.  As far I know Dave Jones used to work for Dapol and Durham Trains, never heard of them.  However I do wish the project luck and if it proceeds it might emerge in 4 to 6 years, this estimate s based on the current progress of the crowd funded Class 92.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Life is certainly not without risk. The risk appears to be paying for something that is not yet available in fact is far from available. If I buy from Hornby or Bachmann I get the goods. If I pay for a car it arrives. Dave Jones and Durham Trains may be known "entities" to you but not to me. As far I know Dave Jones used to work for Dapol and Durham Trains, never heard of them. However I do wish the project luck and if it proceeds it might emerge in 4 to 6 years, this estimate s based on the current progress of the crowd funded Class 92.

Mike

And that balance of risk / benefit is a personal thing and depends upon ones personal situation. For me it is ok, for others not.

Roy

Dave Jones and Durham Trains may be known "entities"  to you but not to me.  As far I know Dave Jones used to work for Dapol and Durham Trains, never heard of them. 

Mike

There is a whole world of difference between "Unknown because nobody knows who they are" and "Unknown to me because I can't be bothered to find out before posting" It is unfair to present the latter as the former, particularly when they are in fact very well known to a significant number of people.

There is another risk in that someone else decides to do the same, however most have expressed that the train is too big to be viable as an all new model, and Hornby's mumbling a few years ago was producing theirs again with intermediate coaches (albeit a somewhat dated model). So consider that highly unlikely.

Thats called "Sods Law", to which the answer is don't order until the 8th of Jan, after both Hornby and Bachmann have released their items.

But at Full Retail, look the the pricing of the Class 800 and the 370, and I do not think there would be much difference.  I would also imagine no other manufacturer will ever go for the whole 14 coaches, as quite simply unless you do it to pre-order, you cannot assess demand for each coach.  Finding Hornby GWR Mk3 coaches of certain types being a classic example!

Regards,

• RMweb Premium

There is a whole world of difference between "Unknown because nobody knows who they are" and "Unknown to me because I can't be bothered to find out before posting" It is unfair to present the latter as the former, particularly when they are in fact very well known to a significant number of people.

This is true that DToS are quite well known to lots of people. But I don’t think the poster is being unfair , as I’m sure DToS would readily admit they are not Hattons, Rails or Kernow and don’t have that high profile amongst the modelling fraternity as yet. That said you have got to start somewhere . It does seem an ambitious project to me to start on , but then the guys from Revolution started with the Pendolino , I think, and were similarly not a well known.

I must admit to still being interested, as it is an iconic train. But the reality is that I’d probably run it rarely . I’m just running my Voyager for what must be only the second time in 5 years at the moment. I can afford it but is paying £750 for a 7 car unit value for something I’ll rarely run? Still struggling with this one.

There do seem to be too many versions on offer here. I would have preferred 6 car unit in either yellow, or black hood liveries then additional cars to be made available to get to the full 14 car unit. To me that would have been a simpler and much more straight forward offering . And as others have said, we really do need the spec firmed out . I am particularly concerned at the coreless motors . It’s all very well for Dave to say they are the future but if you are running your existing fleets of locos , everything from 1965 Triang to the latest Dapol 68 perfectly acceptably , why change . Coreless motors advantages are they are cheap and used where space is at a premium . Neither seem to be applicable here .

So jury still out on this one

Edited by Legend

Hi everyone,

Just to keep you up with things and to answer a few questions asked both here and on the N gauge section, i have spoken to DToS and we have, together finalised the set numbers, coach numbers within the set and specifications.

The list for the sets is a long one as it labels each coach as an individual line, so the 14 cars set has 14 lines. 

Rather than block this up with the info i've attached it all to the posting as Word files and will do the same to my website in a few minutes.

This info will also be posted in the N gauge APT section of RMweb in a minute

Hope it helps answer a few questions and will 'fill in the gaps'. Please note i have changed 2 car set 007 to another to make the train less of a problem number wise, as pictures i have show  007 with the DTS and the Trailer Brake First, with a single car or 2 cars between those 2 coaches which remain unidentified (indeed that's assuming the TBF is indeed 007's mate which it might not be, so altering it is playing safe for us all.

cheers

Dave

Durham Trains of Stanley Crowdfunded APT electric train project train configurationsV1 (1).pdf

Durham Trains of Stanley OO & N specificationsV1 (1).pdf

APT car typesV1 (2).pdf

Was I the only one who read the specification from the bottom up and got to "Food and a hot Drink will also be provided using hot water generated within the APT buffet car." and went :scratchhead:?

Roy

Slightly confusing prose, but i hope you know what i meant ?  :angel:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Roy that was very good of you. 5 pole skew wound motors, i’m In an even bigger quandary now!

No problem, I have sent the same files to Dave.

Go on, you know you want a full 14 car set now... Just think, not one, but two 5-pole skew wound motors...

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

So a quick check gives us-

Yellow end 001, 002, 004, 005

Black surround 002, 003, 005, 006, 007

Nice mix.

Thanks mate,

I think his mix will cover most peoples want / wish list. Although we could have done more versions ‘ lengths, it dilutes the ‘pool’ and the miq gets silly. This way at least most are covered, including yellow and black ends, and a mix of lengths.

I believe that if this is to be a one hit deal (if it reaches crowdfunding levels) then it’s more probably it will never be repeated again, although as mentioned in a previous post i’d Like a single power car and coach to be able to do the 2 that ran in the RTC test train with the 252 powercar on the front.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

http://durhamtrainsofstanley.co.uk/my_store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=371

Click the link above to see the formation and order your OO Gauge APT-P  

Thanks to all who are supporting this project.

Regards

Mick ( Durham Trains of Stanley)

You have been a very naughty boy with the pictures of the yellow end ones.  :nono:

Tee hee hee.

Already ordered and 2 rest days worked to pay for the first installment so you had better get the crayons out and get drawing before the other half sees the money.  :triniti:   :angel:

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You have been a very naughty boy with the pictures of the yellow end ones.  :nono:

Tee hee hee.

Already ordered and 2 rest days worked to pay for the first installment so you had better get the crayons out and get drawing before the other half sees the money.  :triniti:   :angel:

Nah, that is so when they mess up the tooling they can say - well they matched the image, what did you expect  :jester: 

Seriously, thank you to Mick and Dave for bringing this into life, hopefully a long life that sees delivery a the end.

​Roy

Nah, that is so when they mess up the tooling they can say - well they matched the image, what did you expect  :jester:

You do know these are not being made by H----y dont you!

Seriously, thank you to Mick and Dave for bringing this into life, hopefully a long life that sees delivery a the end.

​Roy

I concur, I just hope the 'issues' we keep hearing about the Chinese plan interpretation and production errors are small ones and easily rectified so DToS can get these to market in short order.

Just think of the air miles you will get jetting back and forward!

Actually lets not go there.

• Like 2

Hi all,

First off it's great to have the set numbers and spec sorted, but I am very confused about one thing, that being OO-0003, the 7 car set with black windows.

Four of the cars of the formation are great, one surviving power cars and both surviving DTS cars and one of the TBF's, but the rest makes no sense. The set numbers are off for the two remaining coaches and the other power car in the consist and there is no TRSB, a massive disappointment for me.

Could either Dave or Mick explain this please and possibly discuss changing it as it kind of scuppers the idea of being able to model the preserved set

Cheers,

Edited by 60800

• RMweb Premium

I ordered the 14 car set even though I've no idea how big my layout will be. (We're house hunting so depends where we buy!)

Looked through my pics last night from the 1 and only trip I did on the APT, a treat for us BR YTS kids back in April 85, doing a day return from Glasgow to Euston. Was delighted to see that it was 370 007 that I was on that day, which is the chosen number for the 14 car set I ordered.

attachicon.gif15.jpg

A few strings may have been pulled as well which ensured a cab visit before departure ...

Hope it helps answer a few questions and will 'fill in the gaps'. Please note i have changed 2 car set 007 to another to make the train less of a problem number wise, as pictures i have show  007 with the DTS and the Trailer Brake First, with a single car or 2 cars between those 2 coaches which remain unidentified (indeed that's assuming the TBF is indeed 007's mate which it might not be, so altering it is playing safe for us all.

Nooooooooooooooooo. The 14 car set needs to be 370 007 Pleeeeeeeeeeeease !

post-22167-0-35620400-1513638371_thumb.jpg

• Like 3