Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

OO gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

Help me out chaps I’m in a complete dilemma over making an order, I bought the apt e but it just sits on the shelf what justification can I make to go for the 10 or 14. It seems a lot of cash and I need a boot up the backside to order, one voice says buy it another says don’t but I know I might regret not going for one. Words of comfort and advice please.

Help me out chaps I’m in a complete dilemma over making an order, I bought the apt e but it just sits on the shelf what justification can I make to go for the 10 or 14. It seems a lot of cash and I need a boot up the backside to order, one voice says buy it another says don’t but I know I might regret not going for one. Words of comfort and advice please.

Best case scenario? As there are going to be so few made, you might make a healthy profit on re-sale.

Medium case scenario...... you keep it, admire it, and one day, one day, you might get to run it and impress the heck out of your friends.

Worst case scenario? It’s gonna cost.

Not sure any of that helps though lol

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

I bought an APT-E too. Decided I couldn't justify it and didn't really run it that much, beautiful model though it was, so I decided to sell it and got all my money back. Not much of a profit but not too bothered about that.

I've now ordered a 10-car APT-P and can't wait till it's released, fingers crossed.

Go for it, you know you want one really!

Edit: While I can't offer any guarantees of course, I think it's highly unlikely you will be significantly out of pocket if you decide to sell it, but you may well regret not buying one because I suspect they won't come cheap once they've been released.

Edited by Waverley West

If you want one and can afford it then I recommend you buy one.

Law of Sod clearly states if you dont buy one when you had the opportunity and funds you will regret it.

If, later on, you decide you cant really warrant having that much money tied up in a model then I would expect you to at least be able to get your money back and possibly make a profit knowing you gave it a go and have owned one.

• RMweb Gold

45 - darn only came on here for a nose !!!

7 car unit ordered - no layout to run it on but guess time will be on my side ........

7 car unit ordered - no layout to run it on but guess time will be on my side ........

• Like 4

You know it makes sense, remember there is only one chance of buying them unless you want to add on the Ebay 'premium'.

Edit-

As you posted it twice does that mean there are only 44 left because you have actually ordered 2?

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You know it makes sense, remember there is only one chance of buying them unless you want to add on the Ebay 'premium'.

Edit-

As you posted it twice does that mean there are only 44 left because you have actually ordered 2?

No must have been too hard on the enter button - just the 1

My dilemma is quite similar to yours. I have a 70s South Eastern layout planned for construction in 2019. It will be pure DCC, it will cope just with a full boat train (3*4 car EMUs + MLV = 13 Mk1 coaches). The APT-E will be able to make guest appearences on it at shows (those gas turbine sounds will draw people).

Now I've wanted a somewhat longer APT-P than Hornby's 80s effort for at least 30 years. The 5,6,7 car sets are bitterly small (you get one additional vehicle Hornby never made - albeit 21st century standards) and a lot of money (my perception and feeling on this alone). The 10 car set is better, even ideal for me but an extra £100 gives you 4 coaches more. The APT-P never ran from a 3rd rail, so its quite an oddball for me.

This year I'll be paying for 15 locos, which is more than normal but only because we are hitting the tail end of many years of promised Southern items - next year there will just be HAPs and maybe a BEP to think about.

I am therefore strained to pay the first £250 this year (likely in April/May) and certainly could not do the second payment of £250 until we are into 2019. Of course this project might not move that fast and my worries here are pointless.

Edited by JSpencer

Could you maybe delay a couple of locos that for certain will not sell out or will be reissued. Go for the 14 and if you wanted you could sell off 4 coaches, I reckon you would do well out of that and they may help with the southern stock. The apt p is not my area being an eastern fan but I remember being drawn by its modern and futuristic looks when I was a young lad. Even today I think the power cars when together as pairs look like they mean business - 8000hp wow. I’m into o gauge now but I couldn’t let this opportunity pass, the only thing left for me after this is the prototype hst and the old transpennine units, doubt if they’ll happen but you never know. I’ve sort of convinced myself I’ll be paying out in 2018, 19 & 20. Like someone said earlier you’ll kick yourself if you have the opportunity and the funds and don’t do it. Do some creative accounting and juggling of planned purchases and it might sound a bit more attractive.

At our stage of life, both my wife & I have the philosophy on buying things like the APT or in her case clothes as 'you can't take it with you'.  Being a WCML fan with appropriate WCML based layout, current locos on order are a Hornby 'Sir William Stanier', a five car APT to replace my current Hornby model & when released, a Bachmann Class 90.  They will obviously fit in well as my layout's timescale is from the mid 1950s to late 1980s so at exhibitions I have something for everyone.

Peter

• Like 2

Had a look at some Hornby RRP to show how good value all this apt p deal is. For a GWR bi mode hitachi unit comprising of 5 units would cost £450, 2 driving units plus a train pack of 3. So £995 for a 14 car apt p that will have good residual value anyway (not the main reason for buying one I may add) is good I think.

Could you maybe delay a couple of locos that for certain will not sell out or will be reissued........ive.

It is quite complex, my main interest are South Eastern, Southern and Bluebell. The 15:

5 P class capturing all 4 preserved members plus SECR grey - this is already cut down from 8 and not likely to be reissued.

2 H class, after getting 3 H class last year, I had no more plans for extras but up pops the preserved 263 and a BR early with flat sided bunker. The latter might get reissued at some point but this is the most apt loco for the BR birdcage set.

1 class 07 - initially I had ordered 2

2 B4s, both of the Bluebell member in very different guises. I initially wanted 3 of these locos to capture all detailed variants.

1 H2, I,ve wanted Beachy Head since years

1 H1, not likely to be redone in LBSCR colours

1 Nelson, now this BR version retains most Maunsall features and unlikely to be repeated

1 Bullied diesel, I am not dropping that after so many years

1 47xx

I could drop the prepaid class 74.

• RMweb Gold

I could drop the prepaid class 74.

I’m glad someone else mentioned this, but I too am contemplating a return of funds on this.

2.5 years in the money is earning interest for someone’s bank account but is doing nothing for me.

It’s one thing waiting years for a preorder without dropping down cash, but it’s another when it’s fully prepaid and see nothing.

I’ve got to admit the prepaid 74 and its evolution is on the back of my mind when considering the APT too..

Edited by adb968008

I’m glad someone else mentioned this, but I too am contemplating a return of funds on this.

2.5 years in the money is earning interest for someone’s bank account but is doing nothing for me.

It’s one thing waiting years for a preorder without dropping down cash, but it’s another when it’s fully prepaid and see nothing.

I’ve got to admit the prepaid 74 and its evolution is on the back of my mind when considering the APT too..

Well my idea was to use the money to pay for part of the APT. The 74 never really worked in the south east. That said in 2.5 years, they won,t have earned much in a bank account at today's rates but China's prices have gone up a lot since then. It must eventually reach a point where by break even is impossible. When Rapido found one of their models simply was not making orders, they dropped it but I am unsure how long that was.

Of course if the APT project takes 4 years at £250 a year then it is affordable.

I have 3 models pre paid in full right now (Stirling single, the Bullied diesel which was paid for this year, and the 74), but 2 of those should arrive by June.

Back to the APT-P can anyone advise the approximate length of a seven car set and does the APT-P have the same front overhang issues that the APT-E has?

Thanks.

On the nose, no. The bogies are set much closer to the nose.

Back to the APT-P can anyone advise the approximate length of a seven car set and does the APT-P have the same front overhang issues that the APT-E has?

Thanks.

A kitbashed 9 car Hornby​ APT-E APT-P is about 2.7M long

Each coach is about 300mm long 

That makes a 7 car set about 2.1M long

The train is parked on a curve second track in, both tracks under catenary making a accurate measurement difficult 

As for the nose overhang I agree with JSpencer

Edit Got my E's & P's mixed up :dontknow: 

John

Edited by John ks