Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Gold

The way I see it is you have two options. Either make the head shunt shorter by the length of the buffer stop or make the head shunt an inch longer so that the rodding runs either side of it.

Regards Lez.  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

24 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

The way I see it is you have two options. Either make the head shunt shorter by the length of the buffer stop or make the head shunt an inch longer so that the rodding runs either side of it.

Regards Lez.  

Is there clearance to mount the rodding underneath the board?

All done now chaps - ain't gonna change.

The length of the headshunt is critical. The first associated point leads into the carriage shed - the headshunt as laid will take a smallish tender loco (a 4F was used to size up) plus 4 local coaches (57/60ft) which is practical for ECS workings to / from Citadel. (my Upperby carriage shed will be two-road, approx 6 coaches in each round. Used for stabling local sets only).

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/10/2023 at 23:54, Tony Teague said:

I am very comfortable with electrics, but a bit allergic to electonics where I don't understand what is going on, so whilst my layout and control of it are complex, almost all of it relies on fairly traditional switching.

There isn't really a special design, it's just an extension of normal / basic switching in which one lever or switch on the panel operates multiple devices by firing one or more relays.

I use Gaugemaster GM500 relays which are latching, and can be triggered using the same voltage as used to fire a solenoid point motor - so they are literally wired in parallel with those, and sometimes they are in multiple.

I use them to change polarity, to light indicator lamps on the control panel, to switch off the feed to conflicting tracks, and even to reverse the polarity of servo feeds so as to raise or lower semaphore signals that reflect the direction of the point setting.

They use very little current and so I have locations where my CDU might be powering 2 or 3 solenoids plus 2 or three relays with one pulse.

When combined with the DCC Concepts lever switches, which have both passing contacts and two on/off switches (or one to reverse polarity), so these together offer fairly flexible / powerful switching options.

Hope that helps but happy to clarify or respond to any other points if wanted.

Tony

If I may just divert back to my previous post on the subject of using the Gaugemaster relays and in case anyone is minded to try out what I have suggested, I omitted one key detail in terms of how I went about it.

When I first used these it was at the suggestion of two guys who were hepling me with the layout at the time, and they had considerable experience in using these in the way that I was proposing.

What they told me was that the relays worked more consistently and reliably if two resistors on the relay circuit board were removed; I have no idea, or can't recall what they said about how they behave without this modification but every one of the 60+ of these relays on my layout has been doctored in this way - see image.

SJPIMG_20231104_113626_102231104.jpg.395c6f5c619b99d67e060107f3aebf86.jpg

The two black wires to the right have replaced two resistors that come built into each relay board and whilst I am certain that this negates any warranty, I can say that (touch wood) all of those that I have installed are continuing to work well and I have so far had no failures.

I give no warranty to those either following or ignoring my advice!😁

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

If I may just divert back to my previous post on the subject of using the Gaugemaster relays and in case anyone is minded to try out what I have suggested, I omitted one key detail in terms of how I went about it.

When I first used these it was at the suggestion of two guys who were hepling me with the layout at the time, and they had considerable experience in using these in the way that I was proposing.

What they told me was that the relays worked more consistently and reliably if two resistors on the relay circuit board were removed; I have no idea, or can't recall what they said about how they behave without this modification but every one of the 60+ of these relays on my layout has been doctored in this way - see image.

SJPIMG_20231104_113626_102231104.jpg.395c6f5c619b99d67e060107f3aebf86.jpg

The two black wires to the right have replaced two resistors that come built into each relay board and whilst I am certain that this negates any warranty, I can say that (touch wood) all of those that I have installed are continuing to work well and I have so far had no failures.

I give no warranty to those either following or ignoring my advice!😁

Tony

I have done a similar mod on some of mine and it does improve them.

I use them as they can be mounted somewhere accessible unlike Peco's own switches or micro switches which are attached to the point motor, mine are in the control box.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have done a similar mod on some of mine and it does improve them.

I use them as they can be mounted somewhere accessible unlike Peco's own switches or micro switches which are attached to the point motor, mine are in the control box.

Yes, some of mine are close to the pointwork, e.g. those used for polarity switching. whilst there is a bank of them inside the control panel fro such things as changing panel light indications - but anywhere from the trigger switch to the device they are mimicking works fine.

Glad to know I am not alone!

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Anyhow, you were saying ...

PXL_20231020_233444761.jpg.3dd2cee95fe7fcc359088a1481c32f2b.jpg

Picked this up again a few weeks ago. Doors thickened by soldering scrap etch on the back.

PXL_20231023_232823422.jpg.b7d35ef43d04e664914967c176c49aff.jpg

Side detail added; end detail prepared. 

PXL_20231102_212610871.jpg.5d5f024b90d28155e65b8b7a249813e7.jpg

Roof was just a thin piece of plasticard - no way of actually attaching it! I soldered on some tabs from scrap etch and reinforced the plasticard from below 

PXL_20231107_224117872.jpg.cad52d474fc898a3ae7ca08ea6122ba7.jpg

And there we have it.

PXL_20231107_224029937.jpg.a1d85f102c5bc6f9d8ebf8ba80539219.jpg

If I'm allowed to say, I don't think it looks too bad? According to Jenkinson, they lasted till at least the late 1950s so it's going in the 🐠 train. So there.

A nice simple Parkside kit next up!

To my BR van aligned eye, it don't half look strange with only half the sides framed!, was there a particular reason for this?

Mike.

Mike,

The sliding door would have to built further out to clear any external framing, so the framing was provided internally.

Now why all the framing isn’t internal is unusual, but probably related to vehicle capacity.  Look at this way, we’ve ended up with a nice quirky van!

Paul

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

To my BR van aligned eye, it don't half look strange with only half the sides framed!, was there a particular reason for this?

Standard late Midland / LMS arrangement - nothing quirky to it. As @Flying Fox 34F wrote as I was typing (I've started so I'll finish), the right hand side has to be free of projections to allow the door to slide across it.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2023 at 22:13, Sasquatch said:

That's well smooth! 😁

The Heljan turntables are very smooth.. and quiet. Big enough to get a Princess or Duchess turned easily.

Not cheap but.. easy to operate.

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Yes, but ...

Practicalities come into play with my Upperby roundhouse. It is in the corner of the room and will not be easily accessible. Exact positioning of a largely wheelbase loco on the 'table will not be easy, so some latitude is essential if we are not going to forever be stopping the layout to retrieve locos that have been derailed by the movement of the table, caught other locos stabled as they spin round, etc. In contrast, the lengths of the stalls will be as shorter - basically, the instruction will be to buffer up a large loco against the shed wall - so the overall footprint will actually be smaller that the real thing. An overhead camera / screen is envisaged to aid use.

It's (allegedly) 90ft in HO which is 79(-ish) ft in OO so not too bad.

Other turntables on the layout, that are more accessible will be to scale length.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Yes, but ...

Practicalities come into play with my Upperby roundhouse. It is in the corner of the room and will not be easily accessible. Exact positioning of a largely wheelbase loco on the 'table will not be easy, so some latitude is essential if we are not going to forever be stopping the layout to retrieve locos that have been derailed by the movement of the table, caught other locos stabled as they spin round, etc. In contrast, the lengths of the stalls will be as shorter - basically, the instruction will be to buffer up a large loco against the shed wall - so the overall footprint will actually be smaller that the real thing. An overhead camera / screen is envisaged to aid use.

It's (allegedly) 90ft in HO which is 79(-ish) ft in OO so not too bad.

Other turntables on the layout, that are more accessible will be to scale length.

The track gauge is a couple of mil out so what's 10 mil on a turntable?

Asking for a friend!!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3