Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
On 09/11/2023 at 23:12, Barry O said:

The Heljan turntables are very smooth.. and quiet. Big enough to get a Princess or Duchess turned easily.

Not cheap but.. easy to operate.

Baz

On 08/11/2023 at 14:13, Sasquatch said:

That's well smooth! 😁

I'm glad that it's not just me who doesn't pick up on the jokes, even if mine are really corny! 

Thanks for the heads too up BTW. I doubt a Duchess would fit on the Wathers job I installed on Exchange. (Nearly splashed out on one last week too!)  

Anyway, it's going to add so much operational value to HOTN.

Regards Shaun.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Who was tea monitor in the absence of CM?

Mike.

We all took turns .. as any good team does!

We had a very good selection of cakes, home made biscuits, mini doughnuts etc...

Baz

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

On 05/11/2023 at 21:45, LNER4479 said:

The Upperby operator gets control of a train from a handover length of track just before Carlisle No.13. Here, the demonstration train turns off the mainline and accesses the down goods reception line (despite it being a rake of coaches in this instance!). Independent goods lines immediately behind the train.

Graham

Is it possible to handover from one controller to another without stopping the train? Is it as simple as connecting two different controllers to the same piece of track or is there a bit more too it?

John

29 minutes ago, John76 said:

Graham

Is it possible to handover from one controller to another without stopping the train? Is it as simple as connecting two different controllers to the same piece of track or is there a bit more too it?

John

Thanks John.

The answer is 'Yes, but ...'

Much conversation on Wednesday over this. There's an instinctive urge to naturally want to keep the trains running but the whole idea is to hold them 'in section', to simulate them being en route (from one signalbox to another). As is being proved, the concept doesn't really work if you just run straight from one end to the other. Inevitably, one or more operator isn't ready so the train gets held anyway ... not always in the most practical place.

There are several places where trains go off-scene, underneath other boards. These are thus designated as holding points - in signalling terms, the 'block section'. As per prototype practice, the operator to whom the train is heading has responsibility for said section (as only they can say whether it is clear from the passage of the previous train). It WILL be possible to 'switch out' some of the these to enable continuous passage of trains when there are only a few operators (say) but otherwise, as described.

If there are plenty of trains out on the system then there's less trains clogging up 'the rest of the world' (ie Central station), enabling it to function more efficiently.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

As is being proved, the concept doesn't really work if you just run straight from one end to the other. Inevitably, one or more operator isn't ready so the train gets held anyway ... not always in the most practical place.

That makes sense.

It is how I operate my own (relatively large) layout.

Trains run onto an electrically switchable piece of track and wait for the next station to "catch up."

Ian T

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Really lovely carpet but not as nice as the salmon pink with large quantities of copper wire etc etc scatter that I have. The cushions look good too, essential kit for that enjoyable "under board" wiring job. Brilliant work that is cajoling me into re-starting my "under board" tasks. I hate it!

PXL_20231129_194518635.jpg.39b60c6c0d4c53d1d0c90a79ce97b3cf.jpg.881047235ec239fce037e7515cc1aff0.jpg

PS I was going to say that the vacuum looked a bit forlorn but the carpet looks clean.....

Kind regards,

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1