Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Thought I'd tackle something more straightforward:

Flippin heck! Glad I am not sorting out wiring that lot up!

Kind regards,

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The bridges will be straight, Mike. But I can't guarantee the authenticity of other aspects of the alignment, being as the whole thing is approached on a 3 & half foot radius curve!

I'm hoping that things will be reasonably convincing from the St. Nicholas bridge towards the station, although the M&C lines are going to have to appear from under it 🤨

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

10 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

There's a lot of patient - and rather boring(!) - work in the months ahead. Quite apart from getting the pointwork modified and laid such that stock will run across it reliably, there's the little matter of point motor installation/wiring (all points will be paired up to work as crossovers), frog switching and 'black section' switching.

Boring to some and fascinating to others. Section switching and interlocking (I'm hoping) is fine with me. Look forward to hearing all about it.

John

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Looks even scarier when placed in position!

PXL_20231202_192414545.jpg.560b984001b96658eaf769274b274dfd.jpg

Some further work this afternoon to make the join between the top single slip and the curved point beyond (45mm track centres).

PXL_20231202_192428103.jpg.4c3540494ba36e84408ee4ec3128b665.jpg

You can begin to see the full effect of the junction here and the five lines involved - goods reception sandwiched between goods lines and WCML.

PXL_20231202_192600973.jpg.b1946663bb9459cccdc57343a0f35cbe.jpg

Despite the apparent convoluted nature of it all, the 'flow' of the goods lines is maintained through the junction. These lines will continue on to the 180 deg. curve round to Bog Junc.

The unpainted points (four) have been removed again and are now in the spray treatment area ...

Very impressive Graham- lovely alignment. Not many layouts include realistic complex junctions such as this. I look forward to further progress.

The signalling will be equally impressive- will it be semaphore?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Thanks 🙂

If there's one aspect of the hobby I love almost more than anything else, it's poring over a trackplan / siganlling for a prototype location, working out all the possible routes through the junctions and how it might have been operated - and then trying to distill that down into model form to catch the essence of the place. Very few locations can be modelled exactly (Carlisle in France being a notable exception!) so it's about choosing which lines, sidings, pointwork to ditch, what to compress, etc whilst replicating the prototype operability.

Signalling will be predominantly semaphore - certainly, Carlisle No.12 & 13 boxes (Upperby) will be all semaphore. The only place where colour light made serious inroads in my timeframe will be the Carlisle No.5 (station approach from the south and the south end of the station) - the lovely LNWR signals were replaced there in the early 1950s. Carlisle No.4 (north end of the station) was a mixture, still quite a few semaphores there in the 1950s.

The immediate work ahead looks like this:

- Construct baseboards and lay goods lines from Upperby, through Bog Junction and connect up with existing goods lines through Dentonholme (that, inter alia, requires completion of Upperby junction - or certainly the goods side of it, laid for keeps with point motors affixed). It also includes the double track, plain crossing arrangement at Bog Junction.

- Install Bog Junction lever frame and associated relays, with wiring to activate frog switching through the plain crossing. Until that's done, the layout is out of action, as the double track, plain crossing crosses the running lines out of Central

- Remove temporary Upperby control panels, install M&C trackbed (rising up out of Central) and construct permanent Upperby control panel

- Thence lots of wiring up point motors and associated relay panels!

- Complete installation of Upperby turntable (roundhouse) tracks, lay rest of MPD and goods yard (more wiring!)

- Complete tracklaying at Dentonholme goods yard and install Dentonholme control panel

That little lot should keep me busy for at least the next 12 months!(!)

Sempahores will be added as and when. Their operation will be built into the control system (including interlocking) but their actual installation can follow on behind (hopefully not TOO much so!)

All of the above 'subject to' (God willing and all that)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some holes to dig for point motors. Or is that some baseboard structure for the goods lines ... ?

It’s going to look superb when fully installed. A realistic track layout with the correct provision of semaphore signals and a disciplined operation of trains is what turns a train set into a model railway - irrespective of scale, detail or whether the rolling stock has the correct number of rivets.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, 30368 said:

That was in 2016.

Oops. Was it that long ago?  Mind you it still wouldn't be finished now if it was built to my timescales!

I'll go for a Scottish exile then, 45665.

Simon 

3 hours ago, 65179 said:

Oops. Was it that long ago?  Mind you it still wouldn't be finished now if it was built to my timescales!

I'll go for a Scottish exile then, 45665.

Simon 

Nope - you were right the first time. It is indeed destined to run behind 45684. Well worked out (altho I know you know yer stuff when it comes to Jubs). According to my research, one of a relatively few WCML sloping throatplate Jubs that ran with a Stanier 3,500 gall tender in my 1950s timeframe.

It's just the tender I'm building for this one. I have recently come into the possession of a full Brassmasters Jub kit (with Fowler tender) that I will tackle subsequently. This current mini project is a warm up (!)

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

3,500 gallon tender. Mine is a cut and shut Hornby body on a shortened Bachmann chassis. The loco will become 45580 Burma, my great grandfather fought there in the 1890s and my father also saw combat there during WW2. 003.jpg.90c89a3f5938bfa6fc23f418bdb3d812.jpg

002.jpg.bb9996ba78aeabcacd4dde23c999d089.jpg

Graham, are you also going to have a flat sided tender? Bachmann Fowler tender was the starting point. This loco is going to be named after myself, 45710.

• Like 14