Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I hate to even think of criticising such a magnificent layout, but, aren't you a tad deficient in the tail lamp area?, I notice the things at the pointed end are suitably adorned.

Mike.

Criticism happily accepted.

On the list ... along with corridor connections, better / closer coupling arrangement, weathering underframes scraping off over-size roof ribs, passengers in the interiors ... 🤔

At least most locos now have lamps, crews and coal in the tender 🤗

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the sequence on Sunday.  My apologies for distracting you from your duties as fiddle yard operator - it certainly kept you on your toes and I don't think I could work a two hour shift!

Can I ask about about operation of the signalling at the summit?   I could not work out on the day or by watching the video whether operation of the signals on the layout was automatic or by the summit operator. 

Following on from that query, on the prototype, do we know how movement of the released banker from the down side across the up main to the up sidings was controlled?  I did note some conflict of priority on the model between the pilot movement and a through train on the up main, and wonder if this also occurred on the prototype. 

I can imagine that a less busy location might permit such movement under the direct (flagged) control of the signalman, but not here.  Did the pilot require possession of a full block section of the up main "down the hill" or did the up main contain a short block to permit this movement? 

Thanks again for letting us re-live the days of "watching the trains go by" on a busy main line.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

The lever numbers are correct up to No.10

Intrigued by the comment on the bottom right of the diagram for unused levers being 'Spare (for now!)'. . . . ?

The crossovers to the down siding are currently inoperative. Together with associated signals, that would use up the remaining levers. In truth, only one train (the down pick-up goods) would use it, recessing for the following train to pass. A nice move but quite a lot of effort for one move per sequence!

We'll see ...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Graham,

Would the down siding never be used as a refuge by a freight that had unexpectedly struggled up the bank and so was being too closely pursued by a passenger?

Alan

In theory yes ... but I think it was more of a long headshunt for the quarry as much as a refuge.

Also, even if such a train has ailed up the bank, it has nevertheless made it to the summit(!) and it's all downhill from there. It would cause even more delay stopping and (steadily) propelling back into the siding. Looking at the signalling diagrams for the following locations, if it was in real trouble it would probably be better diving into the loop at Harrison Sidings or - more likely - one of the two designated good loops on the approach to Penrith.

On the layout, the trailing crossover concerned is more or less at the scenic break so the train would have to be driven into the fiddle yard, only to propel back out of it again. And as most of the goods trains are 3-links ... likely to disrupt the (generally!) free running of the layout?

As I say, it's a nice idea but I'm not convinced it's worth the effort 🤔

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 11/02/2024 at 23:37, LNER4479 said:

This is the even more advanced/improved 'bridge of the Starship Enterprise' down Fiddle Yard control panel 😱 But it's all quite logical when you know how and - more importantly - performed more or less faultlessly all weekend. It's the reason we can pump out trains at regular intervals to keep things moving 'out front' and it's gradual evolution over the last five years is all down to Andrew's hard work and enthusiasm 🤗

Graham,

Any chance we can hear more about the bridge of the Starship Enterprise please? Clearly a lot of thought has gone into putting on a very enjoyable show.

John 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John76 said:

Any chance we can hear more about the bridge of the Starship Enterprise please? Clearly a lot of thought has gone into putting on a very enjoyable show.

Thanks, John

We've actually got an article in preparation, so I don't want to steal its thunder (although I don't claim to understand how it works, in any case!)

In essence, however, it achieves two things. Firstly, it controls the advancing of the next Down (uphill!) train into one of two departure positions (one for unbanned; one for banked)

Secondly (and this is the really snazzy bit), it passes the info on round the layout as to which FY road the train came out of such that, when Shap summit clears his starter signal, the road is automatically set for that road and the train safely returns from whence it came. 99.5% of the time (!) It pays for the Shap signalman just to do a confirming check.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

The completed sidings now laid have capacity for approx 90 wagons but that's only part of the total capacity of the yard which should be nearer 200. Plenty of wagon fun to be had 🤓

Graham, 

Great to see the track going down and the layout taking shape. I'm looking forward to when you install the flat crossing at Bog Jcn. Will I have to wait long?

Also what couplings will you be using? You said a few post ago that your freight stock on Shap is all 3 link. Are you sticking with those on here?

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John76 said:

Great to see the track going down and the layout taking shape. I'm looking forward to when you install the flat crossing at Bog Jcn. Will I have to wait long?

Funnily enough, was planning to make a start this evening! So - no - you won't have to wait long! Wiring it all up might take a bit longer, mind ...

1 hour ago, John76 said:

Also what couplings will you be using? You said a few post ago that your freight stock on Shap is all 3 link. Are you sticking with those on here?

It'll be a mix of 3-link and tension lock. In case that sounds scary, then the idea is that wagons are coupled up in rafts, ie 3-links with a converter wagon at either end (converter - different couplers each end). The rafts can be coupled and uncoupled, to reform trains, without troubling the 3-links. Although if someone did fancy playing around with 3-links then Dentonholme will be a good place to do it.

I'll probably need as many converters as 3-links, if you think about it? A three wagon raft needs 2 converters but just one 3-link. Suitable RTR wagons are ideal as converters; just need to fit a hook one end.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Continuing on at Upperby.

PXL_20240303_193837607.jpg.41500fa20b827bf175f7351742a2041e.jpg

That's a long reach when the turntable decides to derail a loco (never the operator's fault...).

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That's a long reach when the turntable decides to derail a loco (never the operator's fault...).

With the added complication of a doughnut shaped shed building around it, so you can't see to get at things. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

With the added complication of a doughnut shaped shed building around it, so you can't see to get at things.

Sounds like Thunderbird 3 launch site.

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• 4 weeks later...