Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bloodnok said:

Hah, the joy of working in old buildings. One of the layout projects I'm working on is housed on the third floor of a building built in the 1700s. There's 80mm of height difference in the floor across the area the layout is in (roughly 5m x 8m). Given the low point is roughly in the middle of one side, the floor is already steeper than 1 in 50 in places.

Not only that, but old rooms are often anything but rectangular. I didn't discover how much of a parallelogram my 200-year old train room was until I attempted to join two boards at a corner, and found I needed to add a "wedge" to correct the discrepancy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

Not only that, but old rooms are often anything but rectangular. I didn't discover how much of a parallelogram my 200-year old train room was until I attempted to join two boards at a corner, and found I needed to add a "wedge" to correct the discrepancy.

Yep, there is not a right-angle in that room anywhere -- no two walls are perpendicular, and not even between a wall and the adjacent floor.

Nor is anything properly parallel to anything else. The opposite sides of a room are never the same length...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sound exactly like my maisonette to be fair. It's a perfect example of 60's architecture that should be termed the desperate school. As in they were so desperate for housing they threw anything up in the hope it would stay up. 

Regards Lez. 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

44 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

Yep, there is not a right-angle in that room anywhere -- no two walls are perpendicular, and not even between a wall and the adjacent floor.

Nor is anything properly parallel to anything else. The opposite sides of a room are never the same length...

39 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Sound exactly like my maisonette to be fair. It's a perfect example of 60's architecture that should be termed the desperate school. As in they were so desperate for housing they threw anything up in the hope it would stay up. 

Regards Lez. 

I don't think I ever fitted kitchen worktops to any house of any age that allowed a butt and scribe to be at a perfect ninety degrees.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

PXL_20230322_210039903.jpg.2b5c66642e3208e46157bae4c36166dc.jpg

Meanwhile, an amusing little moment as I was making my way through my own post-Manchester 'to do' list. One item read 'activate another Black 5'.

Hmm ... which one shall I choose? I might have got a tad over-enthusiastic with my recent purchases. I can box shift with the best of 'em.

Would you like to borrow 44767 again for York?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Meanwhile, prep for York continues:

PXL_20230328_131009738.jpg.5cc50ab0593eac99a4aea559f393f954.jpg

PXL_20230328_131029410.jpg.189fe4f16da3b21936354ae551a87b6b.jpg

A visitation from the scenic team. A few knocks and scrapes acquired since first show in 2017; a few hours careful patch repairs and it all looked as good as new.

Got to look our best for one of the season's top shows 😇

Is it going to be cold at York?

Mike.

• Agree 1

On 29/03/2023 at 13:48, gr.king said:

If it's at all like a mid-summer's day in Bishop Auckland, I imagine it may well be.

Southerners!

( I suppose it depends on which side of the Trent you are used to.)

Mind you the first time I saw 'Grantham' was at Barrow Hill.  I got as cold as I could remember having been. Mind you I was not long back from Africa.

Hope all goes well in York.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Southerners!

( I suppose it depends on which side of the Trent  Tees  you are used to.)

Fixed it for you.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1