Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

14 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

A question about Shap, if I may? If I was reading the baseboard joints correctly at the Manchester show, it looked as if there were rail joiners between the track sections spanning the joints? I thought this was a rather nifty idea for ensuring rail alignment, and the running certainly looked rock solid across the joints. If I'm correct about the joiners, are they just slid on and off at the appropriate times or are they retained in any way?

Hi Barry. Well-spotted - yes, I do use sliding fishplates, for exactly the reason you state. They look even more inconspicuous in Code 75. They simply slide back onto the rail (one each way at each joint) for transportation - no need to remove them altogether.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

On 10/01/2023 at 11:52, LNER4479 said:

Hi Barry. Well-spotted - yes, I do use sliding fishplates, for exactly the reason you state. They look even more inconspicuous in Code 75. They simply slide back onto the rail (one each way at each joint) for transportation - no need to remove them altogether.

Whilst the sliding fishplates at board joints may have been largely successful on Grantham's robust Peco code 100 track (save for a few bent rail ends and broken track bases...) and apparently okay so far on Shap, I wouldn't dream of attempting anything similar with universal employment of finescale code 75 bullhead rail, the inevitably flimsier track bases, glued rigid ballast, and the necessarily smaller, shorter, more delicate fishplates. For the boards I'm building at present, even with rail-ends very firmly soldered to several copper-clad sleepers, these screwed to the baseboard, and rail ends trimmed to avoid projection beyond the board ends, when merely moving boards around the house I've had to be very careful indeed - still not entirely without incident. A system for wrapping the board ends in non-fluffy padding and moving the boards around on a cushion of air would seem to be required, unless end-protector boards are fitted for every simple instance of handling or movement.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I’m using the fishplate approach on my O gauge garden railway which gets packed away in the garage when not in use. I thought that if it’s good enough for Grantham then it’s good enough for me! And the extra robustness of the O gauge track base helps.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

These were a Limited Edition kit of 600 kits! I have one built in LNWR livery and three more kits still to build. As I model in P4 I built a Sharmanesque underframe with one end axle rigid and the other two on a simple inside bearing bogie.

Lond_DC_82.jpg.74bac95a923f8529bcba80c010c1ba90.jpg

Yes, I did notice the Limited Edition number on the front. I wonder how many of the 600 have actually been built over the last 40 years? This one has been a shelf queen until now.

Beautiful looking carriages. I don't plan doing anything fancy with the suspension as I'm on crude OO(!) I might add a fair bit of weight inside though as it's intended to be lead vehicle in a 10 coach train.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Seeing this immediately brought to mind a Southern passenger van that I have which I believe was constructed from a Mallard kit (left one of the pair):

SJPP713002302190713.jpg.9a68983a8d4fcda2b0b02caed22272e9.jpg

This pair were given to me by the guy who built them and I was told it was a Mallard model - I think it is of an ex-LSWR passenger van of 1923 to d.2104, excepting that I am not sure whether it should also have louvres in the bottom of the doors. Nevertheless it is a nice model that looks the part in a mixed van train or a short passenger rake.

The model looks to be of a similar vintage to the one you are building.

Tony

• Like 13

On 13/01/2023 at 01:23, LNER4479 said:

The usual paper washer trick is used to prevent the solder flooding the joint and fixing it solid.

Hi @LNER4479. All looking great. I have many models my Father built and am always fascinated how he managed to do similar. Unfortunately his modelling took place after I left home and moved many miles away, so never discussed the detail of how he did all that intricate work.

I'm not aware what that usual method is. Is it written up somewhere ?

• Like 1

I use a black marker pen to cover the surfaces I don't want solder to stick to.   Using a fag paper washer gives a very slight clearance so the rods move easily against each other.  It also stops the solder wicking through and sticking the moving rod to the pin as well as the fixed one.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 22/01/2023 at 19:59, Tony Teague said:

Seeing this immediately brought to mind a Southern passenger van that I have which I believe was constructed from a Mallard kit (left one of the pair):

SJPP713002302190713.jpg.9a68983a8d4fcda2b0b02caed22272e9.jpg

This pair were given to me by the guy who built them and I was told it was a Mallard model - I think it is of an ex-LSWR passenger van of 1923 to d.2104, excepting that I am not sure whether it should also have louvres in the bottom of the doors. Nevertheless it is a nice model that looks the part in a mixed van train or a short passenger rake.

The model looks to be of a similar vintage to the one you are building.

Tony

Tony, actually built from 1909 and yes there should be louvres in the doors. I've just looked at the Mallard one that I'm building one at the moment - no louvres.  The kit was acquired by Blacksmiths, I've looked at those in the stash - louvres.    Bill

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Tony, actually built from 1909 and yes there should be louvres in the doors. I've just looked at the Mallard one that I'm building one at the moment - no louvres.  The kit was acquired by Blacksmiths, I've looked at those in the stash - louvres.    Bill

Thanks Bill

I think I'll refrain from getting out the Dremel!

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I use a black marker pen to cover the surfaces I don't want solder to stick to.   Using a fag paper washer gives a very slight clearance so the rods move easily against each other.  It also stops the solder wicking through and sticking the moving rod to the pin as well as the fixed one.

Since I don't have fag paper I just use the paper Comet instructions come printed on.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

Since I don't have fag paper I just use the paper Comet instructions come printed on.

Baking paper works well and, to an extent, it's heat-resistant.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Well the reason people use fag papers is because they are thinner than instruction paper.

They are also very useful for making lead flashing. Apply to the roof and flood with solvent, once dry paint with Humbrol Metalcoat Polished steel paint and buff up once dry if you want an older look then add gunmetal to the polished steel.

Blue slim are the best in my opinion and if you're not a smoker then one pack of them will last you forever.

Regards Lez.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

7 hours ago, Fishplate said:

I'm not aware what that usual method is. Is it written up somewhere ?

Hi John,

I didn't realise that I hadn't posted a picture of me actually doing this on the recent build.

Here are a couple of pix from a few years ago, showing a moving joint being soldered on a signal. Exactly the same principle.

IMG_8319.JPG.a1c6a94b1c342d3370144664700291c5.JPG

The joint is prepared with the paper washer inserted immediately behind where the solder is to be applied, in this case a washer over a fixed piece of wire (the signal arm axle). I apply a drop of flux to the prepared joint to aid rapid soldering and, although not shown here, unless the two parts to be soldered are an interference fit, I use a small screwdriver or some other suitable device to apply light pressure to the parts so as they are close together, separated only by the thickness of the paper. It's then a quick in and out with the soldering iron - if you've got it right, there should be an almost instant 'tzizz' as the soldered flashes over, aided by the flux. Remove soldering iron immediately after this; as Mike says: don't linger, otherwise you'll start to unsolder other parts in the heat chain(!)

IMG_8321.JPG.f18943539d55657ebdac435c2974d91e.JPG

Once done, then you can tear away the paper washer as shown. The flux will have made it slightly soggy, so it should tear easily. Sometimes, it leaves a few tiny pieces in and around the joint; use the end of a craft knife to work them out if you can't get at them with tweezers.

The cruel close up here nonetheless shows that the solder has formed a nice circular fillet between the washer and the wire which is an indication that it flashed over properly. Also, you might be able to detect a slight shadow between the washer and the support bracket beneath it. That's a good indication that we have just enough clearance there for a nice running fit, not too sloppy and not too tight. The paper washer should ensure that. You can check before you remove the washer - if it'll move but is a bit tight, that's probably about right. If it's already sloppy with the paper washer still in place then it's going to be really sloppy once removed. You can - carefully(!) - re-apply the iron with the washer still in place to adjust. Once the washer is removed, adjust at your peril (for fear of making the joint too tight or even soldering the whole thing up solid), although Mike's use of grease (and Jonathan's of the black marker pens) are good tips to guard against the latter.

Hope that helps understand a bit further. Thanks to others who have contributed above.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Round of applause 1

I use household tin foil (or Aluminium foil) instead of fag paper. Solder doesn't stick well to tin / ally foil. Same principle otherwise though, just doesn't go soggy with flux. You can easily pre-pierce the foil for the pin without it tearing. (OK, you can do the same with paper, but I find it doesn't work as well). Along with use of grease / vaseline and / or marker pin, should keep those parts that should not be soldered from becoming so.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

3 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Meanwhile ...

PXL_20230124_085340424.jpg.c5aaed896bebbaf77fd7fb251ea7c55f.jpg

Bit of a big job about to break out at the chapel 

PXL_20230124_085826227.jpg.f705ceb1a5293a1b52cec5789cd4264e.jpg

After nearly a year of waiting patiently (usual builders scenario) ...

1586872723_PXL_20230124_141206540_MP2.jpg.473dfa8cf735638c6ab364b5e453da5d.jpg

Internal tie-bars going in. No great structural worries, more peace of mind than anything. Almost as importantly, will be a more practical structure to hang a better lighting arrangement from.

PXL_20230126_120735671.jpg.0b163ea1bd9073f89cacf06b9001fb76.jpg

And some steel work! Its raison d'etre will become clear in subsequent posts (no pun intended).

Obviously, there's been a major clearance in the chapel to make space for this work. And it can only be done now. Once full scheme is set out, it'll be impossible to do work such as this.

Can't wait to resume work in earnest once these improvements have been completed😉

Mezzanine floor for Grantham 😉

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Spiral to the fiddle yard in the sky?

It’s a chapel, would it not be a one way fiddle yard, is that really what you want?!

Paul.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3