• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Meanwhile ...

Patriot.JPG.c4ea00b0eb4813fd3ea3f39248d5c277.JPG

Remember this? (May 2021)

Patriot21.jpg.03cc5426644907ee9d4208a510acbc1a.jpg

Or even this? (Boxing Day 2022)

Patriot85.JPG.474def1fd8cfc1ac04215e681359d065.JPG

Well, last time we looked in, loco looked something like this ("any colour so long as it's black")

Patriot87.jpg.66c5e1edc8a2a96e9fdc8378048aab07.jpg

This might surprise you though?

Patriot88.jpg.90c2f64cd640d118cd5d6a61072f8052.jpg

The very pain in the a*** to apply as the panel lining has to be done in two stages. And the rivet detail on the Bachmann tender was not conducive to easy transfer adhesion.

Anyhow ...

Drum roll please ...

(as this doesn't happen often enough on the HotN workbench)

Ladies and gents, I present to you ...

Patriot91.JPG.0157bb280a44433d56b5cec8260a7524.JPG

Aha! That fooled you! (perhaps?)

Patriot94.JPG.de7b718209d2070c4ca7af5f158eb3f9.JPG

Apparently named after the one and only timetable and travel guide compiler. As compulsive Micky P (the second) watchers, it just had to be.

Patriot101.JPG.bc509cd67f80ffce8e01d0d2de71bf25.JPG

If anyone has the recent(-ish) RCTS (Jennison) tome on the class, then you'll find a picture of the real 45518 in there from roughly the same angle as above. Apparently, said loco was repainted into LMS black in the latter half of 1947 so received its BR number only in 1948 (in the short-lived 'block' numbering style) as it wasn't due a repaint at that stage. Note that it is the simplified LMS black lining, ie no boiler band lining. Not sure re the cylinders as the RCTS pic looks like they might have been lined (could be a trick of the light?). Anyhow, in the austere circumstances, she probably lasted like this until 1950-ish. In which case, it's only a year or two away from the start of my target timeframe (1953) so that's good enough for me. Was nice to do something a bit different, given I'd built it all by myself - the standard Bachmann ones can be the more conventional lined green style! Even better, the pic in the RCTS book has the loco wearing a '12B' shed code (Upperby in 1948) - serendipity?

Fitted with a DJH GB2, she (he?)'s a powerful hauler so likely to be another on the night time sleeper roster ... where what colour a loco is isn't quite so apparent(!) Possibly the Manchester sleeper? More immediately, now the official portraits have been taken, she'll be subject to a fair dose of weathering with a view to rostering her on the early-BR banked goods train on the Shap running sequence. All being well, therefore, see her running at the York show.

Looks excellent Graham. Not much doubt the cylinders are lined in the view you shared with me.

Simon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s not what you do but the way that you do it, that’s what gets results...  as the song goes.  I think that you have captured the imagination of many modellers with both the subject and ongoing execution of your ambitious ‘last great project’.

Even if you feel progress has been slower than you would have liked this last year, you’ve kept the thread well informed, interesting to follow, and have brought an increasing number of followers along with you.  It’s a nomination well deserved!

• Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/02/2023 at 20:32, LNER4479 said:

Meanwhile ...

Patriot.JPG.c4ea00b0eb4813fd3ea3f39248d5c277.JPG

Remember this? (May 2021)

Patriot21.jpg.03cc5426644907ee9d4208a510acbc1a.jpg

Or even this? (Boxing Day 2022)

Patriot85.JPG.474def1fd8cfc1ac04215e681359d065.JPG

Well, last time we looked in, loco looked something like this ("any colour so long as it's black")

Patriot87.jpg.66c5e1edc8a2a96e9fdc8378048aab07.jpg

This might surprise you though?

Patriot88.jpg.90c2f64cd640d118cd5d6a61072f8052.jpg

The very pain in the a*** to apply as the panel lining has to be done in two stages. And the rivet detail on the Bachmann tender was not conducive to easy transfer adhesion.

Anyhow ...

Drum roll please ...

(as this doesn't happen often enough on the HotN workbench)

Ladies and gents, I present to you ...

Patriot91.JPG.0157bb280a44433d56b5cec8260a7524.JPG

Aha! That fooled you! (perhaps?)

Patriot94.JPG.de7b718209d2070c4ca7af5f158eb3f9.JPG

Apparently named after the one and only timetable and travel guide compiler. As compulsive Micky P (the second) watchers, it just had to be.

Patriot101.JPG.bc509cd67f80ffce8e01d0d2de71bf25.JPG

If anyone has the recent(-ish) RCTS (Jennison) tome on the class, then you'll find a picture of the real 45518 in there from roughly the same angle as above. Apparently, said loco was repainted into LMS black in the latter half of 1947 so received its BR number only in 1948 (in the short-lived 'block' numbering style) as it wasn't due a repaint at that stage. Note that it is the simplified LMS black lining, ie no boiler band lining. Not sure re the cylinders as the RCTS pic looks like they might have been lined (could be a trick of the light?). Anyhow, in the austere circumstances, she probably lasted like this until 1950-ish. In which case, it's only a year or two away from the start of my target timeframe (1953) so that's good enough for me. Was nice to do something a bit different, given I'd built it all by myself - the standard Bachmann ones can be the more conventional lined green style! Even better, the pic in the RCTS book has the loco wearing a '12B' shed code (Upperby in 1948) - serendipity?

Fitted with a DJH GB2, she (he?)'s a powerful hauler so likely to be another on the night time sleeper roster ... where what colour a loco is isn't quite so apparent(!) Possibly the Manchester sleeper? More immediately, now the official portraits have been taken, she'll be subject to a fair dose of weathering with a view to rostering her on the early-BR banked goods train on the Shap running sequence. All being well, therefore, see her running at the York show.

Very nice Graham. I know a little about that kit and to turn one int such a good looking loco is quite an achievement. I don't think it was one of the best kits produced!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Still some cleaning up / sorting to do post-works.

You don't say!

You'll get fed up of views from up here.

No I won't.

notably a balcony rail to make things safe up there(!)

How about a carpet and a couple of armchairs too?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

How about a carpet and a couple of armchairs too?

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

A tea bar with a tea maker would be good...

More or less exactly what's planned ... (Clive being the tea maker)

And I do indeed have a collection of aeroplanes looking for somewhere to be displayed ... hmm?

• Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

And I do indeed have a collection of aeroplanes looking for somewhere to be displayed ... hmm?

Now, if you went wireless DCC your drivers could sit up aloft, masters of all they survey, while the signalmen and shunters toiled away on the depths below.

Just sayin'...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Now, if you went wireless DCC your drivers could sit up aloft, masters of all they survey, while the signalmen and shunters toiled away on the depths below.

Just sayin'...

Not even wireless with the right DCC system.  When I’m in test mode my trains are operated from the adjacent room over a 4 wire RJ11 phone cable. (I’m Digitrax Loconet, don’t know if it would work with NCE etc.)

Anyway, even with DC, I have built controllers where the handset was over a 2m cable but the ‘technology’ could cope with longer distances.  Just need a set of remote controller sockets wired to the balcony!

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

58 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Just sayin'...

You can go off people, you know ...

Having said that, the concept of Carlisle area control located up there, with overview of the WTT and the progress of all trains, together with comms. links to all the manned boxes, has a certain appeal ...

'Control? We've got a problem.'

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Just sayin'...

We did this with the Overhead Railway at Southampton exhibition some years ago, the layout was in the theatre with balconies above so at times the LOR operator went up there for a bird's eye view over the layout. We were using Digitrax control at that time.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Barry O said:

A tea bar with a tea maker would be good...

Baz

4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Just sayin'...

I am not keen on ladders at the best of times, let alone carrying a tray of tea cups up one.

I am looking forward to being the maestro of the refreshments for Hills of the North.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am not keen on ladders at the best of times, let alone carrying a tray of tea cups up one.

I am looking forward to being the maestro of the refreshments for Hills of the North.

As an outsider may I suggest a Dumb Waiter may assist Mortimore with his domestic duties….

That and the provision of a small silver bell to summon him.

Edited by D-A-T
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

There was talk of a dumb waiter, they might have meant a lift to carry the teas up and down from the mezzanine but alternatively.....

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7