Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

Graham, my Heljan turntable is currently “liftable” so if you want photos or dimensions of detail of the underside to cut your 1 inch slab let me know. I also still have the original paper template that I could scan and send to you if helpful.  Tom

1 hour ago, Dominion said:

Graham, my Heljan turntable is currently “liftable” so if you want photos or dimensions of detail of the underside to cut your 1 inch slab let me know. I also still have the original paper template that I could scan and send to you if helpful.  Tom

Thanks Tom - but as Barry says, dimensions etc aren't the issue. I just need to get my hands on an actual working example to physically fit it!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Thanks Tom - but as Barry says, dimensions etc aren't the issue. I just need to get my hands on an actual working example to physically fit it!

As it's "liftable", blag an invitation to Mr Dominions layout, take a carrier bag, distract him with some gumph about a loco on the other side of the layout, and voila, you have a turntable!

Mike.

• Funny 7

On 26/01/2023 at 11:54, LNER4479 said:

Getting a bit carried away all of a sudden ...

PXL_20230122_192006880.jpg.1b1071564a1ab9aa06e3ead7b4a6f3f2.jpg

Here's another item of NPCCS about to be tackled.

PXL_20230122_231713298.jpg.2715c5090dd14be06aae8c387f59b115.jpg

Another kit from an earlier era. Note the slab of PCB as the 'floor'. Solebars are prepared with footboard already soldered on before soldering to the floor where it's been pencil marked as per instructions. No slot n tab here!

PXL_20230126_112848019.jpg.15e2dcea9dd0c8b7b9530a6d0c4dd754.jpg

I've added internal bracing pieces to try and keep the body sides reasonably flat and give a good location for the roof.

PXL_20230126_111809459.jpg.02b54cba7735885af57baa7c37554a3e.jpg

And with bogies assembled, not looking too bad. Nice solid vehicle shell and very steady on the track.

Reason for this burst of activity was the realisation of a mistake on my part in putting together the 'up' (downhill!) LMS train for the start of the Shap exhibition sequence (1937). The train is supposed to depict the 1937 Midday Scot and I've based the formation on the info in the Clive Carter LMS Passenger Train Formations book. These always quote the formation for the 'down' direction - this includes the time-honoured through GWR (Plymouth) coach(es), attached at Crewe. I've included it in my 'up' train ... but subsequent examination of pictures doesn't appear to show it (them) in the train? It then dawned on me (doh!) that it would never had made it to Plymouth not leaving Glasgow till the early afternoon! It must therefore have been conveyed as far as Crewe on the Glasgow - Birmingham service, which was a morning departure. BR era pix of the Glasgow - Birmingham train seem to confirm this.

SO - these new vehicles will be by way of replacement. There's a lovely Treacy picture of the train heading south from Carlisle (headed by none other than No.6201 herself) with three NPCCS vehicles at the head of the train, including the WCJS milk/fish van. The LNWR brake shown above is a credible alternative to the actual vehicles shown. Should add character to the train. Anybody want a GWR liveried BCK?(!)

Meanwhile ...

PXL_20230122_155240787.jpg.d2846d17f7323e64c9618e13636e0fbb.jpg

How often does this happen? My trusty roll of solder has finally expired! I estimate that I've been using it for the last 25 years, starting as a full roll. Switched to a new one - which is actually of same vintage, and will probably see me out at that usage rate.

A super looking bogie vehicle. However I had to smile at your use of the phrase "will probably see me out" in respect of your solder roll.

I wonder how many of us find us using it even more as time goes by, I know I do!

John.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

As it's "liftable", blag an invitation to Mr Dominions layout, take a carrier bag, distract him with some gumph about a loco on the other side of the layout, and voila, you have a turntable!

Mike.

Invitation extended. I am in Toronto though so other means may be more cost effective … 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 25/01/2023 at 14:13, LNER4479 said:

Hope that helps understand a bit further.

Thank you @LNER4479, @jwealleans, @Barry Ten, @St Enodoc, @lezz01, @Michael Edge and @PhilMortimer. Another great example of RMWeb members assisting those of us who don't know in words and pictures. 👍

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/01/2023 at 12:20, Denbridge said:

Mezzanine floor for Grantham 😉

Given Graham’s continental visits, I’m thinking that’s the basis for a layout set in the continental mountain regions 

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Dragonboy said:

Given Graham’s continental visits, I’m thinking that’s the basis for a layout set in the continental mountain regions 

With a rack railway to link the two?😀

• Like 3

Please excuse a suggestion.

A pull-down ladder is clearly sensible, provided it's 'footprint' fits into what will be beneath!

If the upper level and shelves are for storage, might it not be an idea to create some kind of 'dumb-waiter' and/or lift so as to avoid having to carry everything up and down the ladder?

I can't remember if I showed you my loft (the upper one not the walk -in one). The only snag of loft-storage is lugging stuff up and down, although it is good exercise! 

Legs and knees do deteriorate with age and infirmity, as I realised when the bulb in my bedside light  failed at 23:30 and I remembered that the spares are kept in the loft. Fortunately the ladder/flooring/lighting etc are all quite solid and easy to use.

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 4

Still no spacious mezzanine floor either...

If I'm right in thinking that steel undergoes much more thermal expansion than a well aged timber beam, and the idea is to keep the walls upright, then do you have to get up there and adjust the turnbuckles to bring the tie rods back to current lengths if we happen to get more 40C summer temperatures? 🤣

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, gr.king said:

Still no spacious mezzanine floor either...

If I'm right in thinking that steel undergoes much more thermal expansion than a well aged timber beam, and the idea is to keep the walls upright, then do you have to get up there and adjust the turnbuckles to bring the tie rods back to current lengths if we happen to get more 40C summer temperatures? 🤣

It barely gets above freezing in there🤣

Baz

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

There's the steam from Clive's kettle.

Mike.

1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Clive owns a steam engine?!

Actually, if we slag off enough diesels, we might get it to come out of his ears as well.

I have spotted the bait but I am not going to bite.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

My builder kindly left his scaffolding tower and ladder for a few days (he lives nearby so says he can pick it up any time) and I've decided to tackle the lighting alterations myself. Get it all done in one go then we're good for the future.

PXL_20230211_131513969.jpg.cbeb2ac2cba945262694223a17a3e243.jpg

Here I'm making up the lighting rail, a 30ft length of U channel (from 3 lengths of ally supports, normally used in plasterboarding), sprayed black. If you look carefully, you can see the lights suspended. The supply wiring simply runs in the channel, with some simple cable tie restraints (easy enough to drill holes in the ally).

PXL_20230211_145322114.jpg.e983096cba766ae8635f4d512f78168f.jpg

Hoo-ray and up she rises. The newly-installed tie-bars serve as part of a hoist arrangement, with the assembly supported in four places. You might just be able to work it out bottom right - the other end of the rope is tied round a solid wooden block, fed beneath one of the scaffolding brace legs. Hoik each one about 6 inches in turn and wrap the rope a further turn round the block. Took about an hour to raise the whole thing. Steady as she goes, one false move ...

PXL_20230212_151223745.jpg.fea59c28217b2fb5dac5baa36ca3c455.jpg

The permanent supports use a webbing strap, which just happened to be more or less the perfect length. Each end is securely clamped to the tie-bar using a handy sized 22mm earth clamp. The strap is then also taken up over the tie-bar centrally and back down so the load is spread 4 ways. The straps are rated for 25kg - used like this they're well within their max load.

As you might have gathered, I'm making use of whatever on the Orange-coloured DIY store (others are available) shelves seemed appropriate, designing it in my head as I wandered around the store.

PXL_20230212_153245034.jpg.f23f397dd9e1e1f436cc8fa70dcc8f0b.jpg

And there we have it - or at least one half of it(!) I'm using LED batons, which seem to be the modern equivalent of florescents. They're potentially expensive (and single use); however, another local DIY store (blue in colour) was having a clearance so I got these for £20ea. With the lighting rail black and the webbing straps black it's all quite well disguised, making the lights almost look as if they're floating.

Original lighting was 18ft off the ground - tie-bars are 15ft; lighting rail is 12ft; new lights are 9ft and accessible via a stepladder. Much more practical.

I took one look at that first photo and immediately wondered how on earth you could handle a cassette that long?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3