West Somerset WebCams

woodenhead

Not sure if this combo will make it up the hill to Washford in the current conditions...

Capture.JPG.c945df37b9b46551336e844edae1ce92.JPG

I had a very exciting trip up that hill a few years ago in the rain - lots of wheelsip and excellent enginemanship to enjoy...

Even the Manor lost its feet a little leaving Bishops just now.

You can keep the sunny days, I'd rather spend a wet day on a steam railway - super atmosphere!

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 02:31, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Not sure if this combo will make it up the hill to Washford in the current conditions...

Capture.JPG.c945df37b9b46551336e844edae1ce92.JPG

I had a very exciting trip up that hill a few years ago in the rain - lots of wheelsip and excellent enginemanship to enjoy...

Even the Manor lost its feet a little leaving Bishops just now.

You can keep the sunny days, I'd rather spend a wet day on a steam railway - super atmosphere!

Apparently it did!.  Whilst aware of WSRs woes, a line of this length really needs big engines and obviously not heavy ones, which is a pity as most visiting excursions are large, heavy main line locos.  Hopefully a return to normal soon, wet or dry!

Even the dog is not impressed!

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Is the big Midland thing broken?  I saw it getting towed into Minehead just now by one of the Cromptons.

The S&DJR 2-8-0? I've no idea. It only returned to steam a couple of years ago.

Possibly it might be over the temporary weight restriction.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, brianusa said:

Apparently it did!.  Whilst aware of WSRs woes, a line of this length really needs big engines and obviously not heavy ones, which is a pity as most visiting excursions are large, heavy main line locos.  Hopefully a return to normal soon, wet or dry!

Even the dog is not impressed!

Brian.

Ironically the only engine I've seen struggle was a big mainline locomotive in Flying Scotsman. :lol:

Manors are the ideal size IMO. With the return of 9351 imminent it should relieve the pressure on locomotive availability a bit.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, God's Wonderful Railway 1835 said:

7822 Foxcote Manor has now come back so there will be 3 working Manors on the WSR and 7752 have left for a short spell before coming back.

Booooo!

When are we getting our engine back? Getting bored with travelling behind the Standard Four..... ;) 

Yes! I know it's staying there for a bit...

Jason

• Funny 1

With the WSR having limitations on weight at the moment it is actually making the gala more interesting.

Usually at galas you see the big star attractions, Deltics, 50s, big steam engines - but they are having to do something with the smaller unsung heroes of the railway world and it makes a pleasant change I think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rumour has it the WSR has a regular  commitment to provide steam for a coach tour - which I understand did not turn up anyway today...made for a bit of variety though....

WSR Minehead c.JPG

WSR 73 c.JPG

WSR Minehead a.JPG

WSR 35 c.JPG

WSR 33 d.JPG

WSR 35 a.JPG

WSR Barclay b.JPG

WSR 33s.JPG

WSR 37 b.JPG

WSR 37 a.JPG

WSR 14 c.JPG

WSR 25 a.JPG