OO gauge GWR Mogul and Prairie

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, 57xx said:

Why do you think they would be grey?

Well as has been said by others the photos etc issued by Dapol seem to show the models with grey wheels.

The wheels don’t look black especially compared to the roof, running plate, and smoke box.

As I said I’m hoping it’s a trick of the light and is changed on the full production versions.

But Dapol have previous form doing this there N gauge GWR Hall was released with grey wheels.

So if they are grey it is even more “unforgivable “  

Edited by rprodgers
Update

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, David Stannard said:

Well the post 1928 GWR Locomotive Green was of a darker shade than the earlier green, given that it's appled to a locomotive in post 1934 livery that would be correct.

Shouldn’t that be the other way around?

The pre 1928 is GWR green is surely the darker duller shade if there is difference.

I have heard some people say there is no difference but some of the paint manufacturers have two different greens pre and post 1928

• Like 1

I think what is probably the biggest problem is that Dapol haven't shown any of the finished samples especially after they delayed the models and sent them back. Rather than everyone pouring over old photos it would probably encourage more people to commit if we saw the finished product that we expect to get. I know I'll need a couple of these but I'm holding off on a pre-order as currently we don't know exactly what we are getting.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, PeteN92 said:

I think what is probably the biggest problem is that Dapol haven't shown any of the finished samples especially after they delayed the models and sent them back. Rather than everyone pouring over old photos it would probably encourage more people to commit if we saw the finished product that we expect to get. I know I'll need a couple of these but I'm holding off on a pre-order as currently we don't know exactly what we are getting.

Pete

Thats how it used to be,  before internet.

A catalog pose, made from a mock up, first time you saw it, was a swapmeet, model shop or mail order package.

The mag review was usually 30 days behind at least, if it got reviewed. Though no rush, it would be available all year, or maybe a few. But liveries, you’d be lucky if they did 2 at any one time.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Thats how it used to be,  before internet.

A catalog pose, made from a mock up, first time you saw it, was a swapmeet, model shop or mail order package.

The mag review was usually 30 days behind at least, if it got reviewed. Though no rush, it would be available all year, or maybe a few. But liveries, you’d be lucky if they did 2 at any one time.

Yes I appreciate that's how it used to be but the world we are in now is a very different place where runs seem shorter of models, and people therefore can miss out. 

Both Hornby and Bachmann have learnt to move with the times and even though Dapol seem to give some updates it's not at the same level.

Pete 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PeteN92 said:

Pete

All you need to is to view them on the Rails website when they arrive.Maybe on the basis of that you can come to a decision ?  We are now spoon fed by pre delivery updates such as The Engine Shed from Hornby and updates from Bachmann fed to us by Andy Y .Accurascale keep us in the loop courtesy of a strong presence on this forum.Ben Jones ....a forum member....involves us in similar fashion for Heljan.Dapol’s forum representation ceased years back for reasons we don’t need to revisit now. They are a relatively small company who operate differently and why should they not ?  This is a major landmark for them in OO so please can we cut them some slack ?

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

55 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

This is a major landmark for them in OO so please can we cut them some slack ?

Yes. Sales of the large Prairie and the Manor depend on the Mogul being a success. I am sure that they will do all they can to make sure that it is a success.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, rprodgers said:

Well as has been said by others the photos etc issued by Dapol seem to show the models with grey wheels.

The wheels don’t look black especially compared to the roof, running plate, and smoke box.

As I said I’m hoping it’s a trick of the light and is changed on the full production versions.

But Dapol have previous form doing this there N gauge GWR Hall was released with grey wheels.

So if they are grey it is even more “unforgivable “  

The wheels are likely to be chemically blackened and the result is usually a lighter colour and a sheen.

Unforgiveable is perhaps a bit of a stretch. It is not all that hard to airbrush or paint them really. I know, should be done on an RTR model that costs etc......

Regards,

Craig W

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PeteN92 said:

Yes I appreciate that's how it used to be but the world we are in now is a very different place where runs seem shorter of models, and people therefore can miss out. 

Both Hornby and Bachmann have learnt to move with the times and even though Dapol seem to give some updates it's not at the same level.

Pete 

They gave me one to hold in my hand, inspect at close range at Warley last year.

I dont think they can give better updates than that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

They gave me one to hold in my hand, inspect at close range at Warley last year.

I dont think they can give better updates than that.

I just realised I was a bit tight fisted there and should give a bit more..

It felt weighty, the tender to loco coupling was pretty neat. The livery at the time was very well applied, but needed darkening (in my opinion). What I liked the most was the wheel details.. the rims looked very well replicated tyres, much better than Hornbys. The detail on the rods stood out as well. With all wheel (except front pony) pickup.

Here’s my opinion last november, I confirmed there about painted wheels, there were other “things” discussed and eluded to. I find the Dapol team very friendly, open and very easy to get on with, they are genuinely interested in what they do and very passionate... I left thinking of n gauge class 50’s, even though I dont model “n”. 

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

There have been gales in the south western approaches - slows down the box boats ;) :jester:

Maybe customs are trying out the new Brexit arrangements.... need to wait another 6 months lol

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

There have been gales in the south western approaches - slows down the box boats ;) :jester:

5 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Maybe customs are trying out the new Brexit arrangements.... need to wait another 6 months lol

Maybe competing with Accurascales box trying to get off the boat too.

As Bachmann have a few releases due soon I’m wondering if the whole ship is model railways ?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

As Bachmann have a few releases due soon I’m wondering if the whole ship is model railways ?

Ah!

You're suggesting a conspiracy.... Maybe Trump is now in charge of litigation over the fake boats - there weren't any boats at all - in fact I've got the best boat. lol

Have a good evening guys.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I think Accurascale have their very own transport solution.....won’t be long now 

16D8755D-CDBF-4FDA-90E8-5D3E23CC6909.jpeg.10a536860094522fc4fa69ddce0c0570.jpeg

With the country back in lockdown perhaps the couriers are assuming there is nobody present at factory or shop to receive the parcels.....

Just a thought

Les

and as an afterthought with over a thousand "end of club" orders received at Dapol in 24 hours (at least according to the acknowledgement email I got) if you have something ordered direct you could well be at the wrong end of a very long queue

Edited by Les1952
afterthought

That wouldn't worry them, they'll just leave them on the doorstep ! Had a delivery the other day which was tracked via their(delivery company)  app. Suddenly had a ding from app parcel delivered ! I was in the house sitting down reading a magazine at the time. So went to front door and there was the parcel, van had rapidly disappeared.  No knock at door, if so the dog would have started barking, as good a door bell as any !

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

That wouldn't worry them, they'll just leave them on the doorstep ! Had a delivery the other day which was tracked via their(delivery company)  app. Suddenly had a ding from app parcel delivered ! I was in the house sitting down reading a magazine at the time. So went to front door and there was the parcel, van had rapidly disappeared.  No knock at door, if so the dog would have started barking, as good a door bell as any !

We don’t have such issues here in Spain, where we use a postroom. (Po box number etc.)

However, it’s amazing when one particular delivery company tries for days to deliver when the postroom is closed. If they were closed yesterday at 7pm, why did you try 7pm today?

Lol

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

We don’t have such issues here in Spain, where we use a postroom. (Po box number etc.)

However, it’s amazing when one particular delivery company tries for days to deliver when the postroom is closed. If they were closed yesterday at 7pm, why did you try 7pm today?

Lol

It used to be the case that drivers were allowed some autonomy in choosing how to do their delivery route. So, in this case, the driver would make sure that he reached your post room before 7 and delivered somewhere else later.

Now, with all the advantages of GPS tracking, the courier companies' computers are doing the route planning. This is what allows them to give you fairly precise delivery times.  

• Like 1