RMweb

Raise a glass, to Fat Cat Thursday.....

jonny777

The average boss of Britain’s top companies will (by today) have earned the same as the typical worker will make in the entire year. 

Read more, if you are not consumed by anger - 

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-companies-pay-ceo/fat-cat-thursday-sees-pay-of-top-uk-ceos-already-pass-annual-average-for-workers-idUKKBN1ET00L

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd have more time for these sort of stories if I ever saw much evidence of people displaying a similar indignation about the injustice of people getting paid less than they do.

Whilst there are a lot of armchair CEOs out there, on the occasions I’ve seen junior/shop floor employees shadow a CEO, they’ve invariably realised the abilities required to do such a job and hence the pay differential.

That’s not to say all CEO pay is justified but to compare to average is equally misleading.

Really can't be bothered with this kind of politics of envy. Yes I would like to have more cash, paying a mortgage until I'm 70, but I don't get consumed by fake outrage about what other people earn. There's quite lot, some on here would happily do away with my job tomorrow if they could. They think I'm overpaid and underworked in the job I do.

• Like 3

On two occasions I have been involved with life threatening hitting the fan situations involving work.

On each occasion I had one of these very highly paid people with me.

To see their reaction to a crisis was amazing.

I would far rather have somebody of that calibre on my side than a person on the average income or below.

If you have not experienced just what they can do then best not to knock it.

I am sure these days that almost all of them got the job on merit. I can think of an exception or two but better not go there.

Bernard

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Nothing to be angry about. Particularly in C21, such people are under enormous pressure to deliver short-term profit, in a way their predecessors often never knew. In them thar days, sustainable long-term steady growth was the mantra, but no longer. And how did they get the job? They climbed up a greasy pole by delivering at every lower level. A meritocracy, really.

Whether the astro-salaries are justified is actually moot. Those firms that don’t pay them will simply not be vying for the best people, results will be ordinary, their shareholders will depart for more lucrative places, the value of the firm will plummet and no-one has a job.

• Like 3

Indeed. I worked for a large US multinational. I recall one of my colleagues getting a promotion which took him to direct reporting level to the US Board. First weekend in role he gets an email on Sunday morning demanding a report on some nonsense or other to the US Board for first thing Monday.

I knew then just how far I wanted to go.

• Like 1

No anger from me - What other people do to get their spends is no real concern to me.

I have an old friend who is a "high net worth" individual'. As kids he lived round the corner, went to the same school etc. He just did different things in his life to me and now he is seriously wealthy - Do I begrudge him a penny of that? course not, he worked for it and jealousy is a terrible thing.

• Like 5

Really can't be bothered with this kind of politics of envy. Yes I would like to have more cash, paying a mortgage until I'm 70, but I don't get consumed by fake outrage about what other people earn. There's quite lot, some on here would happily do away with my job tomorrow if they could. They think I'm overpaid and underworked in the job I do.

Oh well, I will remain in a minority of one in that case. 

Although I don't consider it envy. I am quite happily living on my pension, mortgage paid some years back; without any real desire to disrupt my contentment with what I have. 

My outrage on the disparity between senior and junior renumeration is certainly not fake, however others may try and interpret it. 

I believe that no boss is worth 120 times as much money per hour than a shop floor worker; and certainly not 150 times more than the person who cleans the management's toilets. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Don't worry Jonny, I'll join you in the 'think something's wrong' camp even though I might submit a note from the doctor excusing me from angry duties. Im my ideal world we would value the care home worker, the firefighter and the bus driver just as highly as the Ceo of a large company. We live in an interconnected society and all those with jobs considered to be more menial than the captains of industry are just as vital to the normal (I almost said smooth) running of society. Where would the bosses of companies be if no-one emptied their bins, mended the roads they drove on, maintained their computer systems, looked after their ageing relatives or farmed the food they eat. To say that such large pay differentials are the result of market forces is almost a tacit recognition that there's an exploitation of desperation at play in the jobs market.

• Like 5

No anger from me either.   When I was working in senior management I didn't hear the 'workers' complain at the amount of hours I had to work.  I was on call 24-7.  (even holidays).

At one time, my main job was to cut the workforce.  Though I defended the workers' in as much the jobs were required, the number of times the said workers' 'stabbed me in the back'.

It was then I did cut the jobs and people lost their jobs, the remaining workforce 'understood'.

I have no issue with the notion of those at the very top having their cake and eating it so to speak, the economy is a virtual pyramid - there will always be a lucky few at the top and many more not so lucky at the bottom, it's just the way it is, it's here to stay, by and large it works and keeps us all in employment. Those at the top making the life changing decisions and / or taking risks with their own money can keep doing it as far as I'm concerned. I'm very lucky in that I'm well rewarded for a job I enjoy doing, but I've certainly been at the bottom of the pyramid in the past and can appreciate why some can be bitter about those much further up the food chain. There will always be those that take the Mick on every level, but we do need the industrious fat cat types to keep plugging away at the top, steering the ship etc.

I doubt very much I'll win the lottery jackpot, but if I did the best thing I could possibly do would be to plough plenty of it it back into the economy - over on Pistonheads in the news and politics thread someone recently posed the question of whether or not the 'trickle down effect' really exists, to which another PH'er replied along the lines of ''as a top earner I like to do my bit, the aux pair, gardener and chauffeur I employ plus my hefty tax bill all contribute to society and the economy', so there is some truth in it. Pretty simplistic I know, but he does have a point. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I reckon my bosses will manage it late in the year.

Not sure how much they earn but I reckon I am not far off.

Had one other employee moaning about his income tax, I did not mention how much more i pay (quite a bit) nor that I get married discount.

I've got a mate who earns £15k a month, another on the min wage.

The one on the min wage has a lot, and I mean a lot less stress in his life.

He might earn a lot, but he never has enough time off to spend it, beautiful house he is hardly ever in, and a gorgeous partner, who had enough in September and called it a day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I believe that no boss is worth 120 times as much money per hour than a shop floor worker; and certainly not 150 times more than the person who cleans the management's toilets. 

Says it all really and I don't care who thinks I am a raging leftist Cleaner. I think I can visualise who Jonny is targetting in his sentiments, certainly not the sort of 'hero' CEOs mentioned by some above. 

Just remember the CEO of Kensington and Chelsea Council and, oh yes, the socially sensitive leader of Windsor and Eaton Council. They were/are obvioulsy worth every penny. 

I've already prepared my clothing for the banishment that will now befall me.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

The politics of envy, such a lovely human trait.  :O

We were burgled a couple of years ago and the thief took approx £30k worth of stuff, it had taken 25+ years to amass the items and we'd worked hard for them. I found it a little sad that a lot (and I mean a lot) of people said "yeh well, you can afford it, you must have loads of money if you lost that"  

At least It reminded me that no matter how hard you work in this country,  there'll always be envious and jealous people  that begrudge you for it.