Bachmann H1 Class Atlantic

Edwardian

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Obviously no great thoughts on this one, so I'm probably going to go with doors open.

Nice shot here of what I think is an H2 belting along with the doors in that position, you can see the inside latch at the top,

surrey - SR 2038 hurst green

The crinkly footplate identifies that as an H1, possibly taking the Hever road at Hurst Green Junction.

EDIT To (maybe) identify location. 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Nice shot here of what I think is an H2 belting along with the doors in that position, you can see the inside latch at the top,

Ian just beat me to it John, Yes its an H2.

You might want to look at the images on this web site page of H1/2 Atlantics.

https://sremg.org.uk/steam/h1-h2.shtml

I have a Bachmann H2 4-4-2 and its not been out of its box yet, what deatail have you added to your example?

Kind regards,

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

possibly taking the Hever road at Hurst Green Junction.

Agreed, the original halt at Hurst Green taken from around where the signal box was👍

32 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Ian just beat me to it John, Yes its an H2.

You might want to look at the images on this web site page of H1/2 Atlantics.

https://sremg.org.uk/steam/h1-h2.shtml

I have a Bachmann H2 4-4-2 and its not been out of its box yet, what deatail have you added to your example?

Kind regards,

Thanks, the set of pictures is quite helpful, and there is a shot of 424 in SR days with a Pullman and the cab doors appearing to be open (on the top row).

I've basically added everything in the Bachmann bag of goodies, plus the etched plates as I'm quite happy to have "Beachy Head" as my example. For one thing it seems to have been the last in service, and for another we went to Eastbourne on holiday when I was a child, so I've been to the real place!

The front wheel guard irons need to be fitted with care, although there is a raised pip in the underside of the running plate to give reference (there's a hole in the top of the irons to match), there's still scope for movement, and they need to be kept forward to avoid hitting the bogie wheels.

The rest of the bits seem to fit OK, and with the tender /loco bar on the closest setting it still goes round my 27" radius curves. So I've just the doors to add, and if I ever fathom the headcode discs, those as well.

I've been following Basingstoke with interest, and presumably they did get there, on excursions and the like?

John.

P.S. Looking at the photos again, 32425 in the third row far left approaching Croydon also seems to be moving with the cab doors open, although a bit blurry there is a clear mark where the inside latch is at the top.

Edited by John Tomlinson
added P.S.

44 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The crinkly footplate identifies that as an H1, possibly taking the Hever road at Hurst Green Junction.

Yes, I do see now you've explained it, many thanks.

John.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

I've been following Basingstoke with interest, and presumably they did get there, on excursions and the like?

Thanks John, much appreciated. Yes I have an image of an H2 on Basingstoke shed on a Farnborough Air Show Excursion - I guess 70D was the closest shed for loco servicing. I also have an image of a D11/1 and GN Atlantic on an excursion also being serviced at 70D. I have a D11/1 (I do admire Robinson's locos) but not yet a GN Atlantic and have no plans to modify an H2!

Working on Basingstoke Station (or the small part of it on my layout) at present and when the current tasks are complete I will post some more images.

Kind regards,

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Thanks John, much appreciated. Yes I have an image of an H2 on Basingstoke shed on a Farnborough Air Show Excursion - I guess 70D was the closest shed for loco servicing. I also have an image of a D11/1 and GN Atlantic on an excursion also being serviced at 70D. I have a D11/1 (I do admire Robinson's locos) but not yet a GN Atlantic and have no plans to modify an H2!

Working on Basingstoke Station (or the small part of it on my layout) at present and when the current tasks are complete I will post some more images.

Kind regards,

I have a feeling that a pair of D11/1's worked a Farnborough Airshow special sometime in the mid 50's from the north, and were also serviced at Basingstoke. Might be wrong, I'll see if I can find a photo.

John.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

I have a feeling that a pair of D11/1's worked a Farnborough Airshow special sometime in the mid 50's from the north, and were also serviced at Basingstoke. Might be wrong, I'll see if I can find a photo.

John.

I've found the photo I was thinking of, in Blenkinsop's "Big Four Cameraman" album by OPC, plate 83.

This shows 62666 & 62667 (both lined at the time) passing Aynho on Sunday 11th September 1955 with what is alleged to be a Farnborough Airshow special.

I'd guess it's come down the GC to Woodford, then to Banbury and presumably via Oxford and Reading West to Basingstoke, then maybe something else took it to Farnborough after reversal. I can't prove the locos were serviced at Basingstoke, but seems more than likely.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, 30368 said:

Thanks John, much appreciated. Yes I have an image of an H2 on Basingstoke shed on a Farnborough Air Show Excursion - I guess 70D was the closest shed for loco servicing.

I seem to remember reading somewhere about a number of GE coach sets being borrowed for a Farnborough Air Show - which then needed Brighton locos to work the air brakes.

There's a photo here (Mike Morant's site) of a B4X on one: 

Billinton B4X 4-4-0  no. 2055 is depicted here passing Vauxhall whilst hauling a rake of GER air-braked suburban stock.The working is a Farnborough air show special on July 8th 1950. 2055 was stored at Eastbourne shed when the call came to resume duties on this unusual occasion and there was, apparently a short term reallocation to Feltham mpd as a result. However, 2055 rapidly returned returned to storage at Eastbourne and faced the axe in November 1951 never having had a BR number applied. [Mike Morant collection]

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2