Bachmann H1 Class Atlantic

Edwardian

• RMweb Gold

Anyone else ordered an H1 from Kernow. As ive been charged for it (checking bank balance/available etc) but not had a packing or dispatch confirmation email like normal. Thinking could just be a system error

Today’s Kernow newsletter said they were due in today. In a week’s time panic might be justified, but right now....

Today’s Kernow newsletter said they were due in today. In a week’s time panic might be justified, but right now....

They were showing as in stock yesterday. Not panicking but just wondering why id been charged if its not been dispatched unless they had processed payments before stock arrived to speed up the process.

Oh goodness. That’s is lovely. I’ll have to purchase one. ;)

I confess I wasn't going to buy one, theorising that Bachmann would over-produce, and eventually they would be super-cheap like LMS Compounds..,

but what if the opposite is the case and they become rare? Like SECR Cclass full noise 0-6-0s...?

Why have I developed this sudden twitch?   Is there a cure?

With no RTR stock for it to pull, a drab livery (by pre-grouping standards) and a fairly high retail price, I doubt this will be a big seller. The E4 in similar livery is still readily available in the U.K. A shame, as it is a stunning model. Bachmann deserve great credit.

Mine is apparently 'in the post' according to Rails 

• RMweb Gold

Pretty well perfection in miniature. Credit where credit is due, very well done Bachmann.

Wowzers!

Oh goodness. That’s is lovely. I’ll have to purchase one. ;)

I confess I wasn't going to buy one, theorising that Bachmann would over-produce, and eventually they would be super-cheap like LMS Compounds..,

but what if the opposite is the case and they become rare? Like SECR Cclass full noise 0-6-0s...?

Really? Let’s wait and see...

• RMweb Gold

With no RTR stock for it to pull

As I pointed out earlier, La France didn’t get a repaint until 1927. Hornby made low-window olive sets 469 and 470 in their Maunsell series, and these two sets worked key Brighton line services from February 1927. It can be done legitimately.

• Like 3

I picked mine up today, it's going back tomorrow. On the right hand cabsibe is a grey overspray (or is it undercoat showing through?) So it's going for a swap, other than that it looks lovely and I still commend Bachmann for a loco that looks amazing! (On the left-hand side at least ;) )

• RMweb Premium

As I pointed out earlier, La France didn’t get a repaint until 1927. Hornby made low-window olive sets 469 and 470 in their Maunsell series, and these two sets worked key Brighton line services from February 1927. It can be done legitimately.

Would it have had a B added to its number after 1923, and where?

I have heard from the postal company that they have been contacted by the shop where I placed the order for mine, that they were contacted to pick up an item from said shop for delivery to me.

No idea if it is an H1, but everything else I have on order has yet to come out.

In Scoonie Hobbies this morning and I was shown an email from Bachmann stating they are all sold. So looks like the retailer's have got them all pre ordered so no discounting from Bachmann on them in the future. I think this will be one of those impulse buy loco's that people buy because it looks so good.

• RMweb Premium

With no RTR stock for it to pull, a drab livery (by pre-grouping standards) and a fairly high retail price, I doubt this will be a big seller. The E4 in similar livery is still readily available in the U.K. A shame, as it is a stunning model. Bachmann deserve great credit.

Mine is apparently 'in the post' according to Rails 

I actually prefer the Marsh Umber livery to Stroudley's IEG (I know, I'm a heretic... ;) ). I'm hoping that Rails will do the new Terrier in A1X form in Umber, both as original, and also eventually as 662 was painted in preservation.

• RMweb Gold

I seem to have lied, sorry. Checking my facts shows 39 was repainted and renamed in January 1926, while Set 470 was not ready until December of that year, and 469 February 1927. I apologise for misleading people.

Would it have had a B added to its number after 1923, and where?

The B would have been added on repainting in 1926. The loco number would have been painted in large figures on the tender sides, below the “Southern” onwership. The tiny B was centred between the two.

The biggest surprise for me is seeing the top of the tender in Orange.

I have looked in vain for any Bradley reference to this aspect of the livery. However, since we know the most knowledgeable people are these days used to develop models, I am sure it is kosher. Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Red lead paint is very easy to mix from linseed oil and "red lead". I used it on board merchant ships to combat corrosion up until the end of the 1980's and storekeepers on board remembered it from the 1920's.

The lead-based pigments (lead tetroxide/calcium plumbate, or "red lead") were widely used as an anti-corrosive primer coating over exterior steelwork. This type of paint might have been applied to garden gates and railings, guttering and downpipes and other external iron and steel work. Similar red lead-based compounds were also widely used as a jointing compound in engineering, to form steam- or oil-tight flanged joints in pipework.  In red from Wikipedia.

The model of D2 Como in Brighton library, painted very early in the last century in Stroudley livery, by those who had access to Brighton Works, has the red lead tender top. The Marsh loco livery in Southern Style Vol 2 LB&SCR has it as this colour also.

From my experience, it is a very durable paint with very good abrasion resistance but it was also very easy to slap on another quick layer in-between cargo operations on board ship as it was very tolerant of poor surface preparation also. Bearing in mind it would also help to seal any very minor leakage, to my mind, it was the perfect type of paint for this situation.

Hope that is of interest.

Cheers

Ian in Blackpool

Red lead paint is very easy to mix from linseed oil and "red lead". I used it on board merchant ships to combat corrosion up until the end of the 1980's and storekeepers on board remembered it from the 1920's.pool

A late Royal Navy architect friend of mine once wrote "It probably killed as many painters as it did barnacles".

• Like 1

La France arrived yesterday and very lovely it is. I guess because I've only been buying pre-group engines they have been small or even tiny models, in the case of the SECR P Class, this Atlantic has a real presence. The tender top was a bit of a shock as I'd just presumed it would be black.