HST retirements and secondary deployments.

"SX diagrams for the final week (13/05 - 17/05):

1. MO 1A70 MSX 1A71 > 1C74 > 1A87 > 1C90

2. FSX 1A81 > 1C84. FO 1A81 > 1B42 > 1L82 > 1C28

3. 1A79 > 1C82 > 1A96 > 1C98"

"THE LAST GWR INTERCITY HST STP DIAGRAMS!

SATURDAY 18/05:

1. 1A76 > 1B25 > 1L71 > 1C26 > 1Z43.
2. 1A78 > 1C15 > 1A23 > 1C92.
3. 1B03 > 1L48 > 1C16 > 1A24 > 1W08.
4. 1A10 > 1W29 > 1P61 > 1G60.

All 4 diagrammed units are planned to line up at Paddington between 17.38 and 18.03"

Information from RailforumsUK

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Western Star said:

Thank you for the revised information.  How can I find out which of the diagrams are going to be HST services? (rather than IET)

They are the booked ones, though one diagram today was substituted by an IET due to speedo issues.

GWR themselves have stated that even the last workings on Saturday are subject to alteration.

Luck is going to play a part in this I think.

3 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

"SX diagrams for the final week (13/05 - 17/05):

1. MO 1A70 MSX 1A71 > 1C74 > 1A87 > 1C90

2. FSX 1A81 > 1C84. FO 1A81 > 1B42 > 1L82 > 1C28

3. 1A79 > 1C82 > 1A96 > 1C98"

Apologies for asking, which of the above are running on Thursday?  (I do not understand some of the mnemonics in RTT)

1.  1A71 > 1C74 > 1A87 > 1C90

2.   1A81 > 1C84.

3.   1A79 > 1C82 > 1A96 > 1C98"

These are the services booked to be HST on Thursday, but 802109 worked diagram 1 today (Wednesday) so will probably work diagram 3 tomorrow (Thursday) so it finishes at Laira Thursday night with the HST replacing it for the Friday diagram.

Edit-

Fridays 1C90 will be the last ever Paddington to Penzance HST.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

My son and I oberserved from the lineside at several locations between Crofton and Hungerford...  from 11.00 until 4/00 today (Thursday).

1A79 was an HST.

1A81 was not an HST.

1C82 was an HST (return working for 1A79?).

1C84 was an HST (surprising given that 1A81 was not an HST).

1A87 was an HST.

Services did not appear to be running at line speed and that may be a consequence of orange worksuits on the track to the west of Bedwyn.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Western Star said:

My son and I oberserved from the lineside at several locations between Crofton and Hungerford...  from 11.00 until 4/00 today (Thursday).

1A79 was an HST.

1A81 was not an HST.

1C82 was an HST (return working for 1A79?).

1C84 was an HST (surprising given that 1A81 was not an HST).

1A87 was an HST.

Services did not appear to be running at line speed and that may be a consequence of orange worksuits on the track to the west of Bedwyn.

1A81 was 802010, the return working (1C84 was 43185 OC55 43009 which ran as 5C84 (1050) Bristol SPM to PAD to get in position, 802010 ran as 5A81 (1330) PAD to North Pole.

This got the 3 HSTs to where they needed to be for tomorrows (Fridays) final 'normal' runs.

43093/OC45/43188 should work Fridays IW001-

5A71LaraTmd04:15-MntGldJ04:20

1A71Plymth04:51-Padton08:37

1C74Padton09:03-Plymth12:19

1A87Plymth12:55-Padton16:21

1C90Padton17:03-Penznce22:25

5C90Penznce23:15-PenzTMD23:30

43185/OC55/43009 should work Fridays IW002-

5A81PenzTMD07:10-Penznce07:15

1A81Penznce07:41-Padton13:14

1B42Padton14:15-CrdfCen16:22

5L82CrdfCen16:26-Card34216:30

1L82CrdfCen16:56-Padton19:07

1C28Padton19:30-Wsmare21:53

5C28Wsmare22:10-StphHst22:48

Note- IW002 is different on Friday after working 1A81 due to needing to finish at Bristol so it is in position for Saturdays last hurrah, as a result 1C84 is booked an IET.

43196/OC38/43071 should work Fridays IW003-

5A79PenzTMD05:52Penznce05:57

1A79Penznce06:47Padton12:21

1C82Padton13:03Plymth16:18

1A96Plymth16:57Padton20:36

1C98Padton21:03Plymth00:40

Obviously all subject to changes overnight and faults and failures on the day, most people at GWR have as much as possible crossed hoping all goes well on the day.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Being reported up here that an open door on an empty hst heading from Waverley to Haymarket swiped, at slow speed, a class 385 heading into Waverley from Dunblane.  Driver of 385 got out of their seat and is uninjured whilst RAIB say matter reported to them but no action will probably be taken.

Malcolm

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...

A few updates, ScotRail are now up to 6 refurbished sets and all being well from the 19th August there will be 15 HST diagrams a day.

ScotRail are also in talks with Angel Trains to extend all the sets to 2+5 with additional TS vehicles. (Presently the plan is for 16 2+5 and 9 2+4 sets.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

A few updates, ScotRail are now up to 6 refurbished sets and all being well from the 19th August there will be 15 HST diagrams a day.

ScotRail are also in talks with Angel Trains to extend all the sets to 2+5 with additional TS vehicles. (Presently the plan is for 16 2+5 and 9 2+4 sets.)

That is very impressive with at least 9 sets due to be delivered between now and 19 August - looks like somebody has pulled their finger out on the refurb programme.  Or does the total sets available for traffic include sets which aren't refurbished?

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

That is very impressive with at least 9 sets due to be delivered between now and 19 August - looks like somebody has pulled their finger out on the refurb programme.  Or does the total sets available for traffic include sets which aren't refurbished?

The latter. The unrefurbished sets have been given the "Intercity Classic" moniker by the marketing people. Currently the HST sets seem to be focussed on the Glasgow/Edinburgh-Aberdeen runs with only a limited number visiting Inverness, the increase in diagrams shall presumably address that.

Edited by Bon Accord

I spent some time in the West Country last week and travelled on both unrefurbished and refurbished sets. Both give an excellent travel environment, but I was surprised to see an HST being used on a Weston-Super-Mare/Bristol Parkway all stations train; A service which could hardly be less suited to HSTs !

Running was pedestrian throughout, and time was lost at every station closing doors (which won't be a problem when all sets are refurbished of course).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, caradoc said:

I spent some time in the West Country last week and travelled on both unrefurbished and refurbished sets. Both give an excellent travel environment, but I was surprised to see an HST being used on a Weston-Super-Mare/Bristol Parkway all stations train; A service which could hardly be less suited to HSTs !

Running was pedestrian throughout, and time was lost at every station closing doors (which won't be a problem when all sets are refurbished of course).

It does seem a little odd to me that Cardiff to Taunton has gone from (often) 150s to HSTs, while Cardiff to Portsmouth has been downgraded from 158s to 166s and 165s.

• Agree 1

On 21/07/2019 at 14:51, caradoc said:

HSTs have performed as stopping trains on the Bristol - Taunton route for their entire existence, albeit as part of a Paddington service. From my first day on BR in Bristol in July 1977 I travelled up on a Weston - Padd, which even called at Parson Street and Bedminster, one of only a handful of trains to do so each day back then.

From Paddington the 14.30, 15.30, 16.30, 17.30, 18.30, 19.30, and 21.45 to Bristol all also extend to form stopping services from Bristol to either Weston or Taunton, (they do not normally stop at Bedminster, Parson Street, and Weston Milton).

It is normally the case though that the 2 + 4 HSTs normally work the Cardiff - Tauntons (4 diagrams out of 5 I think), and not the Bristol Parkway - Weston all stops.

I believe there may still be ongoing station delays even with refurbished sets, as there is additional time required to load and unload cycles onto a HST versus a 150/158.

cheers

• Informative/Useful 1

I was actually quite pleased to travel in an HST which stopped at Weston Milton, because in the summer of 1972 (my first full year of real railway enthusiasm) our family holiday was in Weston-Super-Mare. Our holiday home was near Weston Milton, and spotting at that station (halt ?) 807 Caradoc passed on a northbound inter-regional service; The only Warship I ever saw working ! (in BR days at least). Happy memories.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 11:49, Bon Accord said:

The latter. The unrefurbished sets have been given the "Intercity Classic" moniker by the marketing people. Currently the HST sets seem to be focussed on the Glasgow/Edinburgh-Aberdeen runs with only a limited number visiting Inverness, the increase in diagrams shall presumably address that.

Like many, I've been stuck at home the past couple of weeks and all the HSTs I've seen passing through Dyce are refurbished.   Have they all now been delivered?

Thanks and stay safe and well,

Bill 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AberdeenBill said:

Like many, I've been stuck at home the past couple of weeks and all the HSTs I've seen passing through Dyce are refurbished.   Have they all now been delivered?

Bill

Nope, think it's up to 12

3 out of use slammers parked up, 1 Aberdeen 2 Dundee

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 05/04/2020 at 21:22, AberdeenBill said:

Bill 

Haven’t even got half the trailers yet (half of the trailer rakes are supposed to be 5 car), I wonder how long the final trailer to be delivered will actually get to spend in traffic with ScotRail?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, turbos said:

Haven’t even got half the trailers yet (half of the trailer rakes are supposed to be 5 car), I wonder how long the final trailer to be delivered will actually get to spend in traffic with ScotRail?

Report in Modern Railways says Wabtec expect final trailers to be handed over by August this year. All sets being delivered as 4 cars with the 5th cars the final conversions. Report was written pre-crisis so timings may be affected.

Longevity of the HSTs would depend on availability of suitable replacement stock (class 222 from EMR would seem the only option in 2023 once their class 80x are in service) or availability of finance to buy a new fleet (unlikely to be in traffic before 2024)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, black and decker boy said:

Report in Modern Railways says Wabtec expect final trailers to be handed over by August this year. All sets being delivered as 4 cars with the 5th cars the final conversions. Report was written pre-crisis so timings may be affected.

Longevity of the HSTs would depend on availability of suitable replacement stock (class 222 from EMR would seem the only option in 2023 once their class 80x are in service) or availability of finance to buy a new fleet (unlikely to be in traffic before 2024)

Wabtec haven’t achieved any delivery targets they’ve so far set, I expect it will be the usual sporadic delivery then trying to be made fit for use for a while before finally entering traffic.

If class 222 do become the ScotRail HST replacement it is possible that the  first class 222 will arrive with ScotRail  before the last delivered HST trailers Wabtec warranty has ended!

Brian.

• Like 1

Probably a couple of things worth mentioning. I would be unlikely that Transport Scotland go down the 222 route.

It has been proven elsewhere that the 22x class are less fuel efficient and more polluting than a Class 43 (even two of them), the MTU has a remarkable engine management system.

TS have made it clear that decarbonisation is the way forward.

HST replacement will not be diesel.

A final point and a personal opinion (!), the quality of the refurb is excellent. Obviously there are limitations ( the corridor connection shows its heritage) and corrosion will be an issue, but there is at least 10 years left in the old girls yet.

Gary

• Like 3
  • Agree 1