New Roco Z21 app

Message added by AY Mod

Please reduce the confrontational aspects to this topic. Just kiss and make up a bit - 08 May

Keith

I have just tried exactly as you have described (except I changed the auto time-off to 1minute :) ) and each time the WLAN Maus switched off I was able to gain control of the running loco as soon as the WLAN Maus had reconnected to the WiFi.

I tried this 5 times with 3 different locos therefore I am happy to say that what you describe doesnt happen to me - sorry :( 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

Keith

I have just tried exactly as you have described (except I changed the auto time-off to 1minute :) ) and each time the WLAN Maus switched off I was able to gain control of the running loco as soon as the WLAN Maus had reconnected to the WiFi.

I tried this 5 times with 3 different locos therefore I am happy to say that what you describe doesnt happen to me - sorry :( 

Hi Iain

Looks like some investigation is required, as yours is behaving as I expected it and mine isn't.

Probably got finger trouble.:(

On 28/12/2021 at 04:29, melmerby said:

Hi Iain

Looks like some investigation is required, as yours is behaving as I expected it and mine isn't.

Probably got finger trouble.:(

I tested this also today, but slightly different. Now that I know how to turn the WLANMaus off, I walked to end of range, turned the Maus off and then back on, it went to the nearest node. I had no problem regaining control of the loco.

interesting the Z21 app on my iPhone would today work across nodes. I was sure it had previously, but the other day it wouldn’t. I am starting to suspect it may relate to what frequency the iPhone is connected to the Mesh. Unfortunately you cannot tell it to use one frequency.

cheers

Brian

12 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

If you give the 2.4 and 5GHz bangs different names then you can force the phone to only use one band by only connecting to the one band

Thanks Iain,

I am using Google Nest, unfortunately no option to rename the bands separately.  Quote "Google wants the experience to be seamless"

Brian

• RMweb Gold
On 30/12/2021 at 09:26, WIMorrison said:

If you give the 2.4 and 5GHz bands different names then you can force the phone to only use one band by only connecting to the one band

Unless like me you have a BT Smart Hub 2, when you can't assign different names to the two bands ....

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Vecchio said:

Now I have seen it all. Looking at the TV program about Hornby (don't ask me which part it was) I saw a white z21 on their lab table....

4 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

I thought it was the receiver for the Hornby Bluetooth system - that is a white box also ;) 

Hornby's attempt at getting kids with a "everything on a phone" mentality interested in model trains.

It operates a DC controller.

image.png.2fe28f3dc63aa5045657dfb3a88020c9.png

image.png.27851e62699d7f3521388348c258c3a9.png

Edited by melmerby

I got a response from Roco re the Z21app and WLANMaus with Mesh:

"Unfortunately, seemlessly moving between WiFi nodes with either the Z21 app or the WLANmaus is not supported currently, because problems with leaving the WiFi range, and hence losing the WiFi signal, very rarely occur."

Interestingly my Z21 app on iPad and iPhone will transition sometimes. Yet to work out why it does or doesn't. 

On the WLANMaus: 

"However, the WLANmaus is designed to automtically reconnect upon connection loss, which you do not have to wait for. In other words, if you recognize that the connectivity gets lower due to leaving the current WiFi cell, you can simply turn off the WLANmaus and turn it on again in order to force an immediate node switch. Provided that all of your routers are configured with the same network name and password and all of them are either set manually to different channels or set to automatic channel choosing for avoiding frequency overlaps, the WLANmaus will always connect to the router with the highest signal strength, i.e., the closest router sharing the same configuration. The entire reconnecting procedure of turning the WLANmaus off, on again, and waiting for an established connection lasts for about 2 to 3 seconds, which is very short compared to waiting until it shuts down the WiFi connectivity by itself and tries to reconnect."

So on/off for the WLANMaus and more investigation of the Z21 app on the apple products.

Cheers

Brian

Edited by M3ti

• 2 years later...