TMC announce NER G5 0-4-4T

Andy Y

2 hours ago, micklner said:

At Shildon.

I like how the tender is a different shade of green to the locomotive.

and in 1975 there was this.

4930240715_c2c802a1b9_h.jpgRail 150 August 26-31 1975 Steam Up. NER 901 Class, No 910. Loco part of the National Collection. by Mike Hutton, on Flickr

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I like how the tender is a different shade of green to the locomotive.

and in 1975 there was this.

4930240715_c2c802a1b9_h.jpgRail 150 August 26-31 1975 Steam Up. NER 901 Class, No 910. Loco part of the National Collection. by Mike Hutton, on Flickr

Looks like a lot of photoshopping has been done by someone.

The "Red" Shades are all over the place as is the sharpness , compare the Loco Bufferbeam with the the Tender frames and the smugged mess made of the Reversing Rod.

Just now, micklner said:

Looks like a lot of photoshopping has been done by someone.

... looks like the original may have been well under exposed and with transparency film not having the exposure latitude of B & W, the highlights have started to blow well before shadow detail has begun to resolve. Digitising has probably emphasized the contrast giving further colour shifts.

• Like 3

On 02/07/2023 at 21:20, D J H said:

Not it too sure about the colour matching on the coach sides ...

83D19C73-2B3A-4C51-9F5E-64122600D8B6.jpeg

Your best RTR coach stand-ins are probably the Hornby 6-wheelers in North British livery, which give you both an approximate colour match and an approximate style match. 

20220123_170039.jpg.4d3eab7f4ca66dd53ed4b553237c25c0.jpg

• Like 7

On 02/07/2023 at 09:57, Flying Pig said:

Interesting.  The website just mentions requests for NER stock - any ideas which diagrams they have in mind?

Sorry,  last time I spoke with Andy he mentioned he was working on a number of diagrams.  Probably best to send him a message, which might move them up the to do list!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/07/2023 at 12:30, Flying Pig said:

Have you seen the response of the peanut gallery to Sam's review of the model?  He got one that was badly assembled or damaged in transit and the crowd are turning purple.

I thought it was not an unreasonable review . As Sam would say he reviews the model in the condition he got it . Certainly the boiler join did seem very obvious and he backed it up with photos . Same with the different shade of green on dome .  Generally I thought a useful review . He was glowing about the running performance 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 02/07/2023 at 12:21, Compound2632 said:

I have seen the Ratio Midland suburban carriages used to represent NER non-corridor non-clerestoty bogie stock. The Ratio kits depict David Bain's first round-cornered panelled stock for the Midland, being built in 1903 for the Manchester South District services, shortly after he moved from the North Eastern, and were replicated (with the addition of the 4-compt brake third) for the Birmingham District in 1908/9. They have the great advantage of having the deep waist panel that Bain had also been using on the North Eastern. Reference to North Eastern Record Vol. 2 reveals that these carriages were built around 1899-1901 and were 49 ft long, a foot more than the 48 ft of the Midland carriages. Other than that, the main visual difference is the use of 8 ft wheelbase bogies rather than the 10 ft of the Midland carriages. There seem to have been seven diagrams, 50-55 and 63/64, consisting of 8-compartment thirds, 4-compartment brake-thirds, and three or four varieties of 7-compartment composites, with 2, 3, or 4 first class compartments. It might be a bit if a stretch to use these kits to represent non-corridor clerestories, as those were 52 ft long, though I dare say one could get a good long way by cutting and shutting the Ratio sides.

The Hattons Genesis 6-wheelers are pretty close to NER 6-wheelers, especially the 5-compartment third and the centre-lavatory composite; they are the right length and have the correct flat ends.

Is that one of these?

711_grande.jpg

Which is representing one of these? (NER Diagram 64)

IMG_3266a.jpeg

Edited by thetalkinlens
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Your best RTR coach stand-ins are probably the Hornby 6-wheelers in North British livery, which give you both an approximate colour match and an approximate style match. 

20220123_170039.jpg.4d3eab7f4ca66dd53ed4b553237c25c0.jpg

Is that Richmond, looks exactly as the Ken Hoole book.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, thetalkinlens said:

Is that one of these?

711_grande.jpg

Which is representing one of these? (NER Diagram 64)

IMG_3266a.jpeg

For modellers of the later scene, would the sides of the Ratio 48ft 8 compartment all third (now PC710 substitute for the NER Diagram 178 49ft Third?  The best online reference I can find is unfortunately on a Trainz simulator forum here but the prototypes seem to have been numerous and long lived.

if so, any suggestions for the characteristically high NER elliptical roof and the bogies?

Just received my NER liveried version, what a great model (and a nice weight too) - sadly I wont be adding the steps, which definitely complete the model  as I do have some tight curves to negotiate

To the unfiltered eye, the colour of the dome does look different from the boiler - when viewed under artificial light (that is slightly 'warm' in hue) . However I took the loco outside where it was overcast, so diffused natural light, and in these conditions the colour of boiler, dome and side tanks all match.

So the issue is not a digital camera artifact but the light source (and probably the material under the paint) are affecting perception

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 5Dublo2 said:

So the issue is not a digital camera artifact but the light source (and probably the material under the paint) are affecting perception

Agreed on this, but I would add re the digital camera artefact. From the testing I've done so far - you notice the difference to the naked eye under artificial light. But a digital camera will pick up the difference under any light. To date I don't think I've seen any photos where the dome looks like a match.

Edited by thetalkinlens
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 5Dublo2 said:

Just received my NER liveried version, what a great model (and a nice weight too) - sadly I wont be adding the steps, which definitely complete the model  as I do have some tight curves to negotiate

You should be good around second radius curves with the steps on.

• Thanks 1

Very pleased with mine, especially in respect of traction. Bachmann have now demonstrated on their two 0-4-4T how to achieve stable traction: all weight forward, a light motor behind the coupled wheels, lightweight tackle such as aa DCC socket likewise toward the rear wherever useful space is available.

The major flaw is the pivoting of the bogie way too far forward, so the back end yaws excessively and then doesn't reliably recentre. Mine's been butchered so the bogie now pivots in the right place on the slotted bogie retaining screw and the back end stays well centred on track. The downside for many: requires 30" as a minimum radius; unless prepared to rewire the bogie pick ups to replace the wipers which transfer power to the main pick up strips.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/07/2023 at 11:41, thetalkinlens said:

Agreed on this, but I would add re the digital camera artefact. From the testing I've done so far - you notice the difference to the naked eye under artificial light. But a digital camera will pick up the difference under any light. To date I don't think I've seen any photos where the dome looks like a match.

The pixel density of the camera isn't always that good at very minor variations. My photo is fine TO ME  just polish the done ..its duller than the boiler...

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dominion,

Thanks for that.

I will give them a try.

I am currently playing around with sound decoders and sound files.

Edited by D5158

For a change a black one!  I am too young to remember the green livery.  I have put together some clips of my BR lined black model.  I had to interrupt a GWR running session so there are rather a number of non prototypical inclusions.

A nice model that runs very quietly.   Cheers Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 13

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cuz9UTOvEgU/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Some pics of 1759 and 1752.

One thing I noticed was the dome to the naked eye was the same colour, but the camera shows a slight variation.  Anyway a beautiful model and  I'm looking forward to getting power connected to the track.

Edited by Bishdurham
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1