TMC announce NER G5 0-4-4T

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, slg said:

Just had this video pop up as a suggestion showing something that I don't think any modeller would do intentionally but possibly by mistake at 5.14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx3tzzPIMtE

Can't remember where but saw that particular clip recently elsewhere (just the bit at 5.14) - testing the performance of new concrete sleepers in a derailment.

On 26/07/2023 at 07:59, Bucoops said:

Can't remember where but saw that particular clip recently elsewhere (just the bit at 5.14) - testing the performance of new concrete sleepers in a derailment.

There are several recent posts with the link on FarceBerk, Rich...

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, NZRedBaron said:

Would these two gentlemen happen to be named W. V. Awdry, and E. Boston?

Well, if they travelled on Thomas the Time Machine perhaps. 😉

Wilbert Awdry was 10 in 1921 so some years away from ordination, and Edwin Boston not yet a twinkle in his parents’ eyes (b.1924)

Lovely diorama nevertheless.

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Adding a bit
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Eddie the dog said:

rear pony ‘wobble’

What exactly are you trying to convey by this description?

Is the spring that acts on the top of the  bogie frame present?

Do the bogie wheelsets turn freely? Are all 4 pick up wipers bearing on the bogie wheelbacks?

Are one or both wheelsets visibly wobbling as they turn?

Is the whole bogie wobbling about?

Is the wobble up and down or side to side, or 'all directions'?

Does the wobble only occur on straight track, or only on curves, or both?

• RMweb Premium

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The pony truck moves from side to side and something that I have noticed is that the rear coupling

hook though central when moving off on a straight does not return to the original position after

travelling round a semi circle of track.

Don’t know whether this is connected to the issue or not ?

Everything else seems fine, ie. spring present, wheels turning freely and wiper pickups etc..

cheers.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Agree completely with stratford 47’s comment above about the G5 locomotive, and your weathering is superb. Here’s a couple more photographs of unweathered G5s.

John S

7F93834C-04FA-419A-9B3E-720B9C72BF6D.jpeg

C67E4D41-3ED8-4081-9C37-33BF6EFADDAE.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 24/08/2023 at 15:43, Eddie the dog said:

...The pony truck moves from side to side and something that I have noticed is that the rear coupling hook though central when moving off on a straight does not return to the original position after travelling round a semi circle of track.

Don’t know whether this is connected to the issue or not ?

Everything else seems fine, ie. spring present, wheels turning freely and wiper pickups etc..

You are not alone in finding what I think of as the 'looseness' at the bogie end undesireable; as the result is that the rear end can wag about on straight track especially when running with the bogie leading, and the bogie fails to recentre on coming out of curves, particularly with a train on the hook either end.

I have modified mine to restrict the bogie to pivotting on the bogie centre only. This keeps the loco properly centred on the track which looks very well; but this does restrict the loco to about a 30" minimum radius.

• Informative/Useful 1

The mod I made is exceedingly simple.

The bogie has a slot guide for the bolt which retains the bogie, and there's no side control. Cut a rectangular piece of plastic to fit centrally in the underside of the bogie, drill a hole on centre which fits freely around the bolt head, and then tack in place to assess what curvature the loco will now negotiate on the layout. 

That was 'job done' because it was fine on the 30" minimum radius of the layout.

Essentially this converts the model to a rigid wheelbase of 90mm, and relies on the sideplay of the wheelsets to negotiate curves. I had thought it might be necessary to reduce the bogie frame width to allow the inside bogie wheel a little more sideplay but this was not required.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The bogie has a slot guide for the bolt which retains the bogie, and there's no side control. Cut a rectangular piece of plastic to fit centrally in the underside of the bogie, drill a hole on centre which fits freely around the bolt head, and then tack in place to assess what curvature the loco will now negotiate on the layout. 

That was 'job done' because it was fine on the 30" minimum radius of the layout.

Essentially this converts the model to a rigid wheelbase of 90mm, and relies on the sideplay of the wheelsets to negotiate curves. I had thought it might be necessary to reduce the bogie frame width to allow the inside bogie wheel a little more sideplay but this was not required.

Would it be possible to see a photo of what you have described here?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Many thanks 👍

• 2 months later...

Mine has been renumbered this weekend, with HMRS pressfix transfers to become a Whitby loco (and the same one as the O gauge one I finished for my Dad)

20231111_203554.jpg.5ea14357f0a95a35d0ccec6bec848c29.jpg

20231111_203612.jpg.0a2547e6ef0ec344b59ed4aa96e02ff9.jpg

The smokebox and roof have been toned down with a matt black/black grey mix. I've started adding some of the details from the bag including the steps and couplings. The rest will go on in due course, and a crew will make their way into the cab, once they are painted, once I can figure out how to get them in there!

20231111_203705.jpg.92dea6f381b51e719a54a20c549dd731.jpg

A bit of very light weathering will follow eventually!

Cheers

J

• Like 17

• 2 months later...

For those who have still to make their minds up and buy one of these super little models, here is a video of mine with sound on analogue.  Yes, the gear change is not quite perfect, needs a bit more tweaking!

https://live.staticflickr.com/video/53506725940/61bf3b3cae/1080p.mp4?s=eyJpIjo1MzUwNjcyNTk0MCwiZSI6MTcwNjk5MzA1OSwicyI6IjlmNzAwN2YyZTBkNWU2ZDU0ZWU5Nzg1NWVkOTEyOTIxYTJlNDNlYzkiLCJ2IjoxfQ

Regards  Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

For those who have still to make their minds up and buy one of these super little models, here is a video of mine with sound on analogue.  Yes, the gear change is not quite perfect, needs a bit more tweaking!

https://live.staticflickr.com/video/53506725940/61bf3b3cae/1080p.mp4?s=eyJpIjo1MzUwNjcyNTk0MCwiZSI6MTcwNjk5MzA1OSwicyI6IjlmNzAwN2YyZTBkNWU2ZDU0ZWU5Nzg1NWVkOTEyOTIxYTJlNDNlYzkiLCJ2IjoxfQ

Regards  Ray

Nice video, thanks for posting. I couldn’t get past the colour mismatch of the dome on the NER green version so I contented myself with an LNER one. It’s a delightful model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1