The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Snow with you?

Phil Bullock

It is indeed Ian, a GS (General Service) gun tractor. For really serious conditions it would need half a ton or so of something in the back to give better traction. As it was, I didn’t even need to engage the diff lock.

• Like 2

Here on Tyneside this afternoon 2 degrees outside feels positively sub tropical; interestingly it is colder inside our large stone flagged entrance hall - steam on the outside of the windows!

We got complimented on our precision 'striking' in our 8 bell Sunday service ringing this morning - because we benefited from an ace change-ringer unable to return home for the week-end by ECML from his weekday Tyneside based computer proramming job.

dh

• Like 3

Managed to arrive a few minutes after brother had cleared some more snow at Dad's      :nono:   , relief as I'm knackered after clearing his drive & part of the road on Friday  :angel: , neighbour pulled the front off his car as the snow between the wheel tracks was too deep, fortunately being a french car, he was able to put it back on  :jester: .  Definite thaw & side roads are now 2 blackish strips  :sungum: .  

Edited by duncan
  • Like 3

Well the big melt down has started here in N ~Wales today all very slushy but from the pictures of the road down from the A5 down to Carrog station we've had a lot of snow 

post-5136-0-23726400-1520183367.jpg                                            post-5136-0-70714800-1520183466.jpg

post-5136-0-21350700-1520183502.jpg

• Like 12

Did have a bit of snow (never get much as live right on South Coast) but long gone, unfortunately had flood inside as well as a cold water pipe decided to part company. Lots of wet carpets. Some reason now have no hot water?

Michael

The Skegness line reopened today, most of the fields at the lineside are now clear of snow but there's several places where the remains of drifts can be seen

This taken near Wainfleet about an hour ago

post-110-0-55190400-1520186141_thumb.jpg

This one in the Sibsey area

post-110-0-23634800-1520186241_thumb.jpg

There's still several feet of snow in lineside ditches so gives some idea of how much would have been across the line in places.

Had a walk up to Skegness seafront in the hour I get here lots of sand blown inland must have felt like a grit blasting if you were stood there at the time

epost-110-0-40604000-1520186543_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

A57 Snake Pass half a mile East of Glossop about 2pm today. Between two and four feet of frozen snowdrift across the road.

attachicon.gifP3032254 (2).JPG

People are still driving past the Closed sign and round the cones thinking they can get to Sheffield, I turned two back about 100 yards below that lower drift and on the way down we were passed by a Sheffield taxi.

Thawing now. Digging out has started on The Snake. By the look of the pictures coming in the drifts a bit further up beyond where we walked yesterday were as high the machine trying to clear them.

http://glossop.online/images/a57.jpg?=1520192751

Eejits were still ignoring the signs and thinking they were going to drive over the top.

No time yet for how long it will take to get everything out of the way but they are hoping to be able to get a route through sometime on Monday. Some vehicles have been up there since Wednesday, drivers were rescued by the council and Mountain Rescue, one lorry driver having been stuck for 20 hours when they got to him.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

We were booked to go to supper at farming friends outside Stow Saturday Evening - but prudence cancelled it! He was probably out ploughing ...

You have a male friend called Prudence?

• RMweb Premium

My office has moved and I now have a longer commute.

Had to abandon one route Friday due to drifts.

But the new location the other road users are so much ruder than they are a few miles south.

Because I had to cheek to use a Land Rover in the snow the hate shown to me was immense, NEVER had this before.

• RMweb Gold

...and you do know that there is a much ruder meaning of "ploughing"

Jim

Shakespeare, in Antony & Cleopatra: “She made great Caesar lay his sword to bed. He ploughed her and she cropped.” Obviously wot you meant.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My office has moved and I now have a longer commute.

Had to abandon one route Friday due to drifts.

But the new location the other road users are so much ruder than they are a few miles south.

Because I had to cheek to use a Land Rover in the snow the hate shown to me was immense, NEVER had this before.

Local Roads for Local People
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You have a male friend called Prudence?

...and you do know that there is a much ruder meaning of "ploughing"

Jim

I just provide the strap lines - make of them what you will!

Phil

• Like 1