MRJ 261

drduncan

....The thought that the smokebox doors supplied by the exaulted likes of Finney and Mitchell are not good enough, rather astounds me, but I am happy to respect the fact that they don't 'cut it' for Mark. Let's put it this way, if he ever supplies his own smokebox doors commercially, I'd be happy to buy some from him!

If he can make them open and close, I'd be in the market for a few myself.

I've had a fairly good look through it now and it's another excellent issue. For me, the most useful article is that by Gerry Beale himself on the conversion of the new Hornby Toad, something I'm planning on doing fairly soon myself, albeit a straightforward (I hope) conversion to P4. Putting P4 wheels on the RTR axles is something I've done before, so hopefully there is sufficient room for P4 wheelsets as well.

I can attest to the fact that Simon's Toad is a work of art, having seen it in the flesh, albeit I don't think he had weathered it by then. He's also made a jolly good job of a BR Standard brake van in the same scale, although I think that one was a kit, but very well done nonetheless. The research trip to the Forest of Dean is even mentioned.

Possibly the least relevant article for me is that on the GWR smokebox doors, which is slightly ironic, as I have always had a bit of a 'thing' about them myself. My interest in the subject stemmed originally from wanting to make a better job than the old K's whitemetal casting of long ago. My solution to that was a turned brass smokebox door (either bought or done for me by someone expert with a lathe) and then rather low-tec door fittings done by me. The result was a lot better than the K's cast version, if I say so myself, but probably wouldn't bear close scrutiny under a microscope.

I do admire (and, if truth be told, am more than a little intimidated by) the engineering involved on Mark Humphry's pieces, but I will never own, let alone be able to operate, engineering machinery of that nature.

The thought that the smokebox doors supplied by the exaulted likes of Finney and Mitchell are not good enough, rather astounds me, but I am happy to respect the fact that they don't 'cut it' for Mark. Let's put it this way, if he ever supplies his own smokebox doors commercially, I'd be happy to buy some from him!

You should have saved that for issue 263.......  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

I don't normally contribute to this discussion, but WHSmurf in Exeter had it today.

Mr. Harding in the Model Shop will probably receive his batch tomorrow.

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not available in Target, San Jose, CA either... Looking forward to getting back to Blighty tomorrow evening where my subs copy should be waiting for me. It’ll be nice to see Mrs. Gravitas as well.

Obviously she will have to wait until you have read your MRJ..

No comprendo, señor.

Its an admirable precis of the contents of the issue and of how it appeals to your interests, and I'm not knocking it for that at all. Its just that, in a way, it reminded me of what often appears in the letters page, often reciting the contents of several prior issues of the magazine.  As has been noted, the correspondent (or any other letters) did not appear in 261!

edit for a missing word of minor importance....

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Gold

I can tell you that the price of this book will be £42.50.

It has been delayed by the Society continuing to make changes to what was a "final text".

I believe I will shortly have a final proof to check. I am not going to hurry this as it is a complex book which I really do not wish to get wrong, it is therefore difficult at this stage to commit to  a date. The book is definitely happening though and I hope people will consider all the effort, expense and, frankly, grief to have been worthwhile.

Simon

• Like 4

I can tell you that the price of this book will be £42.50.

It has been delayed by the Society continuing to make changes to what was a "final text".

I believe I will shortly have a final proof to check. I am not going to hurry this as it is a complex book which I really do not wish to get wrong, it is therefore difficult at this stage to commit to  a date. The book is definitely happening though and I hope people will consider all the effort, expense and, frankly, grief to have been worthwhile.

Simon

Simon,

Thanks for the information. I am sure that Like Volumes 1 and 2 before it, this book will become one of the most thumbed books on an LNWR Modeller's bookshelf, and I personally have no doubt that all the effort will be worth it. Thank you very much indeed for everything that you have put into it.

David

Sorry David, Jack Nelson's LNWR Portrayed has that honour on my bookshelf.

The LNWR Society tried to look into a reprint, but Peco couldn't (as far as I remember) find the original draft, etc. Pity, as it is a great source for LNWR (and LMS) modellers.

I shall have to clear a space for Wagons Vol. 3 and possibly get a hardback copy of Vol. 2 to match the set. I never did understand why Vol.2 was originally card bound, but of course had to have one as soon as it was published.

Jol

• Like 2

For me at the moment its the wagon books I thumb most frequently though not a shock really as I am building up my wagon fleet slowly but surely.... one day I hope to have space for a layout and Jack will come into his own then

Sorry for hijacking the MRJ 261 thread chaps!

• RMweb Gold

Its an admirable precis of the contents of the issue and of how it appeals to your interests, and I'm not knocking it for that at all. Its just that, in a way, it reminded me of what often appears in the letters page, often reciting the contents of several prior issues of the magazine.  As has been noted, the correspondent (or any other letters) did not appear in 261!

edit for a missing word of minor importance....

Well, OK, I wasn't trying to emulate the esteemed Trellis in any way. I just commented in a slightly more serious manner than just referring to the price of bananas.

So the reference to '263' concerns the possibility of said Trellis commenting in a similar way to me, only in issue 263?

April edition

PAul

Sorry Paul, I'm still none the wiser. Probably not having a good day.

• RMweb Gold

Professionally built. professionally painted, professionally weathered, professionally photographed. We can all swoon.

Paul

Is any of that important. Surely the point is to gain pleasure and be inspired by top class modelling. Whether the model was built for personal use or for a customer is irrelevant.

Overall, an excellent issue despite the heavy 4mm, GWR bias - I've already given Gerry stick for this! I particularly enjoyed the Churston piece, I'm a big fan of this style of article not least because it makes me feel like I'm only just getting started with my twenty odd years so far on Bath!! It also helps the Mr Potts has a very engaging style, a cracking good read.

Jerry

Professionally built. professionally painted, professionally weathered, professionally photographed. We can all swoon.

Paul

Nobody seems to have a problem swooning over the latest RTR yet getting someone else to build models seems to be looked down on in some quarters. As long as the article is written by the person who built the model or acknowledges it was built by someone else does it really matter?

Good modelling is good modelling regardless.

The articles does not go into the intricacies of how the model was built? Anytime they do, we read complaints that not everybody has a lathe, mill and all the other sundries. Dammed if they do, dammed if they don't

Regards,

Craig W

Craig W

• Like 2

Nobody seems to have a problem swooning over the latest RTR yet getting someone else to build models seems to be looked down on in some quarters. As long as the article is written by the person who built the model or acknowledges it was built by someone else does it really matter?

Good modelling is good modelling regardless.

The articles does not go into the intricacies of how the model was built? Anytime they do, we read complaints that not everybody has a lathe, mill and all the other sundries. Dammed if they do, dammed if they don't

Regards,

Craig W

Craig W

The model in question is a Modern Outlines Kit Standard 4 2-6-4T is it not? No lathe or mill required.