MRJ 261

drduncan

• RMweb Gold

Nobody seems to have a problem swooning over the latest RTR yet getting someone else to build models seems to be looked down on in some quarters. As long as the article is written by the person who built the model or acknowledges it was built by someone else does it really matter?

Good modelling is good modelling regardless.

The articles does not go into the intricacies of how the model was built? Anytime they do, we read complaints that not everybody has a lathe, mill and all the other sundries. Dammed if they do, dammed if they don't

Regards,

Craig W

Craig W

Been trying to put my finger on this. I think it might boil down to what we can and can't relate to.

I can relate to someone who is a gifted 'all rounder' I think. Someone who does everything themselves and does it well. That Standard tank, lovely though it is, isn't in any way representative of what most of us can even aspire to, let alone achieve by our own efforts. It's been through the hands of three professionals and must consequently have cost the lucky owner a small fortune.

I find it much easier to relate to the lovely Fowler tank on another page, the work of just one talented modeller, Karl Crowther.

• Like 1

Well, I suppose I ought to say something..

I've kit built locos most of my life, and ended up doing to earn an income after being made redundant. I decided that I didn't want to work for a company again and would be self employed. I was lucky to get an opportunity to work on model railways as my main job. I wondered how that would affect my enthusiasm, but I am still just as obsessed as before.

In a way I think we are all cheque book modellers to a degree - I have had locos built for me - I've bought second hand stock, I buy made up lengths of track. Nearly everything we buy was made by somebody else - even if it is kit. I just buy what I need/want and enjoy it.

It is very fulfilling to build up quality kits such as the MOK range, I'm lucky enough to have built half a dozen or so, they are a joy to build. 80016 reflects more the quality of the kit more than my skills, although I'm not saying it is an easy build - you have to know your metal bashing to get a good result. I have to admit - this is one model I would like to have hung on to. Having said that, I've had to tackle some real 'ringers', that's where the experience comes in.

I'm not a model engineer - just an experienced kit builder. I do have a lathe that gets used once in a blue moon. Years ago, I never thought that my work would end up in the MRJ,I didn't think that I could reach those dizzy height's.  I'm lucky to have a job I enjoy and I get to work when I want to! There is pleasure in building models, and in owning them - even if they were build by someone else. Hopefully my work gets to inspire and encourage others.

There is room for everyone.

Regards

Tony

• Like 14

Tony,

I enjoy seeing good modelling - whatever the origins. I appreciate that something done by one person may feel more accessible to people - but we all have our strengths which is the reason there are full time painters  and people who weather models full time too.

MRJ has always had access to some seriously top shelf stuff and I happen to think that is a good thing myself.

Regards,

Craig W

Picked up a copy of MRJ 261 yesterday and have read most of it, plenty to inspire a bodger like myself!!

For me, I’ve no objection to people being paid to build models, to be a professional model maker you have to be good at it and MRJ is about showcasing fine modelling. Most of us have bought something we’ve not lavishly fettled from the bare materials at some stage or another, I know I have.

I’ll admit to drooling over the photo of 80016 and even my missus was impressed. The combination of an excellent kit (wish they were all like that!) built and finished by some of the best modellers in their fields. The only thing that shouted out that it wasn’t the real Loco was that the hex screw centres on the wheels hadn’t been filled. But then the exquisite lining and detail soon drew the eye elsewhere.

One day, I hope that my modelling skills develop sufficiently to tackle and complete an MOK kit to a good standard. Still a little way to go, but that photo is definitely an inspiration to get back to the modelling bench and crack on with some modelling to develop my skills.

Andrew

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well, even in this heavily Great Western-oriented issue, discussion is focusing on the non-Great Western items!

I'm looking again at the photo Tony's standard tank and find myself thinking that Paul Karau has slipped up for once - this really should have been on the centre-fold pages. In my copy, the LH and RH sides of the photo are out of kilter by about 1 mm.  

• RMweb Gold

For me, one of the great things about MRJ is that it has been both aspirational and inspirational - I’ve seen fantastic modelling in it, and I’ve tried to get my models to look more like the ones that I’ve seen. As such, it doesn’t matter to me that the modelling was the work of one person of several.

And, to offer a different perspective, many really good layouts are club layouts, which are de facto the creation of a group of people. What’s the real difference between a complete layout and single piece of rolling stock, when it comes to the nature of their creation?

Just because I can’t do it myself, doesn’t mean I don’t want to see it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking again at the photo Tony's standard tank and find myself thinking that Paul Karau has slipped up for once - this really should have been on the centre-fold pages. In my copy, the LH and RH sides of the photo are out of kilter by about 1 mm.

A centre-fold with staples? Exactly what kind of magazine are we talking about here?...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I really enjoyed this issue. The piece on Churchston provides me with hope for my own project! Robert's article on the older GWR autocoaches was also very interesting and shows how RTR items (in the form of Bachmann's 64xx) paired with high-quality kits can work so well: very enjoyable all in all.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A centre-fold with staples? Exactly what kind of magazine are we talking about here?...

In the dim and distant past, MRJ did once or twice include a loose folded A3 spread of a single photo, which one could mount (well, I did) without dismembering the magazine. The one I have in mind was a view of a bridge on Bramblewick.

• RMweb Gold

In the dim and distant past, MRJ did once or twice include a loose folded A3 spread of a single photo, which one could mount (well, I did) without dismembering the magazine. The one I have in mind was a view of a bridge on Bramblewick.

Yes - and the “Hurley” poster, with its caption “this is a model railway”... (Mr. Welch again...)

Mark ( Humphrys),

I have just one problem with your post: it should be an article in MRJ!

It is very interesting to hear a top class modeller talk about his journey to higher standards.

You've certainly progressed much further than I suspect most of us but your achievements do act as inspiration to those 'hammer & chisel' modellers like me.

Cheers,

Glover

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think I will try and put the article in context a little!

I first became aware of MRJ around thirty years ago and in those days I was in total awe of the work by the likes of John Hayes and many others along with the inspirational writings of Ian Rice in the various Wild Swan modelling publications that were coming out back then.....

.....Sorry to bore with this, but I felt it was worth pointing out that I don't have any special engineering skills or training with machine tools. I just see them as a means to achieve my modelling aims. I am sure a skilled machinist would be horrified by some of the things I do, but they work for me!

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Mark

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to talk us through your journey.

Article or not, you have just treated us to what is quite possibly the most erudite, balanced and interesting post that anyone has ever made (or ever will make) on an RMweb MRJ thread.

For which I thank you very much.

For what it's worth, I suspect it is the not giving up, throwing away and starting again and thinking through alternative possibilities that have got you to where you are now in modelling terms, rather than having something that others of us do not. I can think of several other friends and modellers who have achieved much with this sort of approach, which is what I am trying to do in my bumbling journey through the world of small trains.

Thank you again for taking the time to set out your thoughts and sharing them with us all.

Simon

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I felt it was worth pointing out that I don't have any special engineering skills or training with machine tools. I just see them as a means to achieve my modelling aims. I am sure a skilled machinist would be horrified by some of the things I do, but they work for me!

Thanks also from me for the interesting background information, Mark.

Your modesty does you credit, but I am sure that most of us would nevertheless put you firmly in the 'very skilled' category!

Your work is always of the highest quality, surpassed perhaps only by your extremely high standards and determination to achieve the very best. If that constitutes 'being inspirational', then so be it.

I am extremely happy that this approach works for you and the results definitely speak for themselves.

The point I was trying rather clumsily to make was not that your work isn't inspirational, but that the use of such technology and advanced model engineering equipment isn't going to be possible for everyone, and I have to include myself in that. It doesn't mean that I or others don't want to hear about your work or that we don't marvel at your results. I wouldn't presume to speak for anyone other than myself, though, when I say that I can see no possible chance or opportunity for me personally to get to grips with the kind of CAD technology or engineering machinery that you have (so ably) trained yourself to use.

As such, I personally have to set my sights somewhat lower, but it doesn't mean that I don't want to see what others are achieving, in the pages of MRJ or elsewhere.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've kit built locos most of my life, and ended up doing to earn an income after being made redundant. I decided that I didn't want to work for a company again and would be self employed. I was lucky to get an opportunity to work on model railways as my main job. I wondered how that would affect my enthusiasm, but I am still just as obsessed as before.

In a way I think we are all cheque book modellers to a degree - I have had locos built for me - I've bought second hand stock, I buy made up lengths of track. Nearly everything we buy was made by somebody else - even if it is kit. I just buy what I need/want and enjoy it.

It is very fulfilling to build up quality kits such as the MOK range, I'm lucky enough to have built half a dozen or so, they are a joy to build. 80016 reflects more the quality of the kit more than my skills, although I'm not saying it is an easy build - you have to know your metal bashing to get a good result. I have to admit - this is one model I would like to have hung on to. Having said that, I've had to tackle some real 'ringers', that's where the experience comes in.

I'm not a model engineer - just an experienced kit builder. I do have a lathe that gets used once in a blue moon. Years ago, I never thought that my work would end up in the MRJ,I didn't think that I could reach those dizzy height's.  I'm lucky to have a job I enjoy and I get to work when I want to! There is pleasure in building models, and in owning them - even if they were build by someone else. Hopefully my work gets to inspire and encourage others.

I didn't realise you were the builder of that lovely 2-6-4T, but well done indeed, it is most lovely. I appreciate that you didn't paint it and that someone else (Martyn Welch) weathered it, but it is indeed a real beauty.

I'm interested to see that you say you now make a living from building kits, although I must wonder that some potential customers may have expectations about the cost (to them) that are totally unrealistic, if you are to be able to feed your family and pay the mortgage. No doubt the more kits you build and the more experience you acquire, then the quicker it becomes to complete something, whilst at the same time maintaining (or improving) quality to the end customer.

I have dabbled in my time, initially when at university and then for a few years subsequently, building 4mm kits for a model shop, but the renumeration was absolutely lousy. When I was a student, I did do it for the money, as any meagre additional income was welcome, but as the years went by, I did it mostly for the pleasure of it and the experience it gave. One reason I stopped doing it was the realisation that I had very little modelling output for my own use over that 9 or 10 year period. I certainly couldn't have made a living from it during that time.

I hope the realisation on RMWeb that you have been responsible for that lovely item might bring you further offers of work. As you know, one does sometimes see people posting on this forum, enquiring whether anyone knows the details of a good kit builder.

• RMweb Gold

Tim, I think you really are selling yourself short when you say

As such, I personally have to set my sights somewhat lower, but it doesn't mean that I don't want to see what others are achieving, in the pages of MRJ or elsewhere.

None of us (well there might be a very few) are good at everything, so in the context of yourself and Mark I might observe that you have created some beautiful and completed model railways, which objective I think I am right in saying Mark is still working towards (Chagford Road excepted, which I liked a lot)

And actually it was you I had in mind when I was thinking about what Mark had said, in terms of doggedly sticking at things and getting better at it.

I mean, Chunky Halt to your beautiful Kemilway/Airfix 4MT in how many years?

Apologies to people who don't know your modelling history,  Chunky Halt is an obscure reference to the 1970s and the joys of 2"X1" timber, Resin W and Superquick brickpaper.

Which reminds me, I have some coupling hooks to make out of etch waste once I have peeled the potatoes...

Simon

• RMweb Gold

You are very kind in your comments, Simon, and I thank you for them, but without wishing to delve too deeply into the personal 'psychology' of it all, I increasingly find myself having difficulty climbing out of the 'Sheldon Cooper' ** mindset when it comes to trying new things. I am probably far too comfortable in my own 'comfort zone' (I mean, what's a 'comfort' zone for, if not to relax in, chill out and not have to be challenged by uncomfortable new notions!).

As such, I feel I know what my skill set is, what it's limitations are and how far I would have to go before I reached the boundary of said comfort zone.

This is what I meant in terms of being able to 'relate' to a model. Your lovely 'Toad' is one such model, because you have capitalised on your skills and experience of working in styrene sheet and have produced what is quite probably the 'definitive' model of that vehicle, in that scale.

**  For those who don't know Sheldon Cooper and 'The Big Bang Theory', - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Bang_Theory - I've personally not laughed so much in a long time.

• Like 1

I didn't realise you were the builder of that lovely 2-6-4T, but well done indeed, it is most lovely. I appreciate that you didn't paint it and that someone else (Martyn Welch) weathered it, but it is indeed a real beauty.

I'm interested to see that you say you now make a living from building kits, although I must wonder that some potential customers may have expectations about the cost (to them) that are totally unrealistic, if you are to be able to feed your family and pay the mortgage. No doubt the more kits you build and the more experience you acquire, then the quicker it becomes to complete something, whilst at the same time maintaining (or improving) quality to the end customer.

I have dabbled in my time, initially when at university and then for a few years subsequently, building 4mm kits for a model shop, but the renumeration was absolutely lousy. When I was a student, I did do it for the money, as any meagre additional income was welcome, but as the years went by, I did it mostly for the pleasure of it and the experience it gave. One reason I stopped doing it was the realisation that I had very little modelling output for my own use over that 9 or 10 year period. I certainly couldn't have made a living from it during that time.

I hope the realisation on RMWeb that you have been responsible for that lovely item might bring you further offers of work. As you know, one does sometimes see people posting on this forum, enquiring whether anyone knows the details of a good kit builder.

Thanks Captain Kernow!

I'm in the lucky position of having no mortgage and we have not got children. My wife has her own income, so we are in a very comfortable position fortunately. That means I don't have to work too hard! I just need to earn enough to keep me in booze and clothes.

I'm working with an order book that has 2 years work ahead of me at the moment, I've never needed to advertise and I'm lucky in that I seem to have acquired lovely clients that appreciate my work. My philosophy was that I build commission as if they are for myself. This ensures the highest quality work - probably better than some of my own stuff! That means my work is not cheap, but as I explain, the cost of my work has nothing to do with the value of the model. People are paying primarily for my time ( which to me, and I expect most of us, is the most precious commodity ) and my skill and experience. It's not worth my time to try and paint some of the models - it's far more cost effective to send them to Warren Hayward or Paul Moore. If you have a model with a 4 figure value, it's would be a shame to skimp on the paint job.

Talking of skill, my story is also a journey. When I first started modelling I was able to get 60/40 flux cored solder from work, everything was made with that initially - white metal, brass, whatever. Because of my soldering skills ( the lack of! ) the guys at Wolverhampton club used to call me Mr Blobby! Great friends like Tony Wright and Richard Lambert showed me the way and I found how useful flux could be! I now use 7 different solders. Sitting down with people and passing on your skills is a very fulfilling thing to do. So I seem to have come from being inspired, to inspiring.  I know that the Guild is organising some modelling workshops - I hope to take part in that and possibly help others extend their model making.

Regards

Tony

Edited by dibateg
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

How refreshing to read posts from modellers who admit that they started their career with some fairly awful results, and then improved with practice, determination and sheer hard work. I do understand that we are in an era of instant gratification, but I find it so sad to read posts that say, in effect, "I tried building a kit once but I wasn't very good at it". Neither was I - but I kept on trying and got better, and the same applies to most other modellers that I know. You have to put in the time and effort.

Alex.

How refreshing to read posts from modellers who admit that they started their career with some fairly awful results, and then improved with practice, determination and sheer hard work. I do understand that we are in an era of instant gratification, but I find it so sad to read posts that say, in effect, "I tried building a kit once but I wasn't very good at it". Neither was I - but I kept on trying and got better, and the same applies to most other modellers that I know. You have to put in the time and effort.

Alex.

Having seen examples of your work in Scalefour News I have to say that your efforts have paid off, Alex. Your trio of Caley 3Fs was brilliant.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium

Having seen examples of your work in Scalefour News I have to say that your efforts have paid off, Alex. Your trio of Caley 3Fs was brilliant.

Cheers,

David

Hello David - that's probably a different Duckworth, Steve not Alex.

Hello David - that's probably a different Duckworth, Steve not Alex.

Oops. Wrong Duckworth. Well, Steve’s work does show what you can do if you stick with it and I’m sure your’s does too Alex.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium

The question is how much practice I will need to reach the standard I would regard as acceptable and whether I will live that long! I hope i am still learning and slowly improving, but there is a long way to go, even though there are plenty or areas that I am not particularly interested in, such as use of sophisticated machine tools. That is not meant of criticism of those who achieve marvels using lathes etc, but it is just not for me. However, that does not stop me admiring the work of those who do things differently. 

And to return to the usual topic of this thread, i haven't seen the issue yet as apparently it got lost on the way to Newtown (two crates of magazines failed to turn up last week at Smiths). So I am still living in hopes.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

Oops. Wrong Duckworth. Well, Steve’s work does show what you can do if you stick with it and I’m sure your’s does too Alex.

Cheers,

David

You may have got the wrong Duckworth on this occasion but Alex is no slouch either, his exquisite models have graced both MRJ and the Narrow Gauge Review in both 2FS and WW1 narrow gauge.

I would like to agree with what others have said, particularly regarding the need to 'keep at it' if those all important skills are to be acquired. The thing that has helped me more than anything is that I have been singularly fortunate in having great mentors that I could learn from. There are numerous names I could mention of those who have freely given me help and advice over the years but the most important to me is my great friend, and quite brilliant modeller, John Greenwood.

Like Tony I too now make a modest living building models for other people and am lucky enough to have work for the next eighteen months or so. We do have children and a mortgage but the latter is now pretty small and the former grown up and off the payroll! I do a fair number of shows around the country as a demonstrator and am always flattered by the praise I receive for the models on display although, as I always remind people, I only ever show models I'm satisfied with. I never bring the disasters that ended up in the bin or launched across the workshop - and there have been their fair share of those over the years - particularly in the early days. Those who never made a mistake, never made anything.

Jerry

• Like 9