Next limited edition shed?

Ncarter2

I see your point, but how much more are you willing to pay for more detail ? Personally I don't want too much more as otherwise we go down the route of the Hornby 50 and 60 where they are a bit too fragile in places and susceptible to bits getting. Knocked off.

How much am I willing to pay?  Hmmm, difficult to say without knowing/seeing what the spec would actually be, but using the US diesel as a hypothetical example and a wild estimate might suggest that something of that kind of standard from Bachmann might hit somewhere between £200 - £250 for a non-sound model?  Would there be a market for it at that price?  Again, considering some of their EMUs are now north of £300 RRP, with the forthcoming R&R steam crane at £249 RRP, the Blue Pullman at an eye-watering £949 RRP then does £250 now seem so unreasonable for a truly high-spec locomotive?  Okay, I realize the units are anything from three to six cars, but nevertheless they still represent one single purchase for one item at those prices.  Clearly there is a market for them at that pricing level or they wouldn't be on the production line. 

Personally I am willing to pay extra for more detail.  Okay, it might mean that instead of owning half a dozen of any said model I might have to settle for four models, but to me that's an acceptable compromise.  I appreciate that I am perhaps in a minority as there are no doubt just as many, if not more, who are content with something that simply won't get broken when handled with stubby fingers, and I guess that's fair enough, each to his own etc.  Anyway, this is actually being discussed on the Hornby Design Clever topic in a bit more detail but it kind of fits in here too now you ask the question of "How much..."

With regard to the sort of detail on the Hornby Class 60, well, sure there are one or two small parts that could easily be broken, but it's a matter of learning how and where to pick each model up.  I own a good number of Hornby 60s and can't say I really have a problem with breakages, but again everyone handles models differently.  I think if we start asking for less detail than on the Hornby 60 and 50 then we are bordering on Railroad, and I had a belly-full of that in my childhood. 

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Premium

With regard to the sort of detail on the Hornby Class 60, well, sure there are one or two small parts that could easily be broken, but it's a matter of learning how and where to pick each model up. I own a good number of Hornby 60s and can't say I really have a problem with breakages, but again everyone handles models differently. I think if we start asking for less detail than on the Hornby 60 and 50 then we are bordering on Railroad, and I had a belly-full of that in my childhood.

Have to agree. I own 16 of the Hornby 60 and have had no problems with bits breaking or falling off. I have a similar number of 66’s and one or two have come damaged and needed to be sent back.

We all have our own opinions and I happily accept each to their own. My personal opinion is the 66 is over priced for what it is in the current market.

I see your point, but how much more are you willing to pay for more detail ? Personally I don't want too much more as otherwise we go down the route of the Hornby 50 and 60 where they are a bit too fragile in places and susceptible to bits getting. Knocked off.

As for this repaint, I think it's great that it will stimulate more interest especially amongst the younger modellers, but to me a shed is EWS red and a class 50 is large logo....and that's the way it has to be !

Until someone does a 50 in EWS. 

Meanwhile, dont forget as I said that the number and logo are correct for placement as other standard GBRf machines. That means on one side the logo and number are actually the right way round... 

I thought the same but then realised that they've done it wrong. The large logo liveries had the BR logo and TOPS number much further apart and nearer the cabs. Even though the grilles are in the way the BR logo should be further to the right next to the grilles, and the numbers further to the left. And the yellow on the cabs extends too far back due to the design of the 66 (one door is yellow, the other blue) so all in all it doesn't quite work.

Not my image....

26666499300_252de992f3_b.jpg

https://farm8.static.flickr.com/7057/26666499300_252de992f3_b.jpg

A completely different class of loco so no real comparison can be made 

The basic Bachmann 66 still stands up reasonably well today, especially at the side of the Hornby Toy, which company will do this one first.

Please not Hornby, that would be a travesty to do the BR Large Logo on a Hornby Shed.

• RMweb Gold

A completely different class of loco so no real comparison can be made

Eh? I can't exactly compare it with another Class 66 in large logo livery, now can I? How exactly do you propose to compare the new livery with previous iterations of the large logo if not by comparing it to other locos? The 37's and 47's had a pretty similar and for the most part consistent livery, as did 56's. 20's are a funny shape, and as was pointed out 50's had a version that is closer to the 66. But presumably they aren't allowed to be mentioned either? Edited by ruggedpeak

How much am I willing to pay?  Hmmm, difficult to say without knowing/seeing what the spec would actually be, but using the US diesel as a hypothetical example and a wild estimate might suggest that something of that kind of standard from Bachmann might hit somewhere between £200 - £250 for a non-sound model?  Would there be a market for it at that price?  Again, considering some of their EMUs are now north of £300 RRP, with the forthcoming R&R steam crane at £249 RRP, the Blue Pullman at an eye-watering £949 RRP then does £250 now seem so unreasonable for a truly high-spec locomotive?  Okay, I realize the units are anything from three to six cars, but nevertheless they still represent one single purchase for one item at those prices.  Clearly there is a market for them at that pricing level or they wouldn't be on the production line. 

Personally, by the time the Large Logo 66 is done, probably as a limited edition run, I can see Bachmanns prices rising further if the last few years are anything to go by. That means the model we have now, as a limited edition, could be around £180-200, maybe even towards 200-250. 

Ive decided not to wait. The livery is fairly straight forwards, so its a second hand one and the paint brushes are out. Transfers have arrived and a start has already been made. 

• Like 3

As this repaint celebrates the anniversary of nationalisation maybe BR black and silver could be next!!

That is a very stiking livery. It suits the five early mainline diesels brilliantly. However, the aluminium paint would highlight any shortcomings on the bogies. It will make it very obvious that the axle end covers don’t rotate. That might not matter very much but if Dapol succeeds in getting them to rotate on the 59s as promised, it would rather show up Bachmann’s 66. 

• RMweb Gold

Some nice photographs of the 66 straight out of the Eastleigh Works on Carl Watson's photo collection: -

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries%202018/Galleries%20201802/20180227ArlingtonEastleighWorks/eastleighworks27thfebruary20183.html

It was parked by the station itself for at least one day which allowed me to photograph it but Carl's photographs are better. I am not sure its the most successful of the new liveries being applied to the class.

Hope they are of use to someone planning a repaint.

Godfrey

• Like 2

Never happen with DB cargo still owning the trademark to EWS, loadhaul, mainline etc.

I can see that conversation going well “ right we’ve nicked all your traffic, brought a load of your locos to service it, can we now paint them in your old paint scheme ? “

Never happen with DB cargo still owning the trademark to EWS, loadhaul, mainline etc.

I can see that conversation going well “ right we’ve nicked all your traffic, brought a load of your locos to service it, can we now paint them in your old paint scheme ? “

Fair point...

​Maybe its time for Trainload Biomass, with the Black Diamonds and Bars as blue instead and see if anyone notices the difference...