Courier delivery times / Royal Mail / eBay seller reputation

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

I’m openly trying to make the most money possible, fairest for the buyers would be selling at 1p and free postage! I’m saying you’re being hypocritical, not that I’m a saint!

But I didn’t start a thread telling sellers what to do, and I’m not writing to CEOs because a parcel was 2 days late. ;)

With that I think this is pointless, I’m out. Hopefully we won’t cross on eBay, nothing more annoying than a moany seller.

Edited by njee20
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As for P&P charges, I take an overall view of the total cost and bid/decide to buy where appropriate. Like you what's the bottom line

Question is when sending an item out to a customer and you have two choices

1 Cheaper price and quicker delivery

2 Dearer price and slower delivery

Which one do you choose ?

Sorry, that choice doesn't really make sense to me.  From a sales point of view I don't deal through ebay and all my sales, none of which are particularly heavy, go out by Royal Mail first class or Royal Mail airmail.  The customer is given no option as to delivery.  It works well.

Yippee!  My express parcel (quicker and more expensive delivery) has just arrived with DPD, ordered from Devon yesterday, arrived Angus today.  No complaints.

DT.

Edited by Torper

Sorry, that choice doesn't really make sense to me.  From a sales point of view I don't deal through ebay and all my sales, none of which are particularly heavy, go out by Royal Mail first class or Royal Mail airmail.  The customer is given no option as to delivery.  It works well.

Yippee!  My express parcel (quicker and more expensive delivery) has just arrived with DPD, ordered from Devon yesterday, arrived Angus today.  No complaints.

DT.

Torper

I agree if there is a sound commercial reason for using a different delivery company then do use them. When my latest phone was delivered I was given a link which showed where the delivery van was and how many drops he/she had before reaching me. Heavy parcels/packets is another reason, home collection is necessary for some..

To the contrary of what another poster has written, I have nor said don't use X company, but just allerting sellers that using a courier who has a reputation for poor service this may result in poor feedback, at the same time paying a higher transit cost. On you reply you have confirmed your satisfaction of a supplier using the appropriate service.

Any courier may have the odd problem now and then, I had a parcel coming from Germany via DHL's European hub at Charles de Gaul airport, there was a mechanical failure at the hub which delayed the Express Delivery by 24 hours. However all credit to DHL once the packet got moving again they pulled out all the stops. My issue is where a company continually fails its customers. 

Torper

I agree if there is a sound commercial reason for using a different delivery company then do use them. When my latest phone was delivered I was given a link which showed where the delivery van was and how many drops he/she had before reaching me. Heavy parcels/packets is another reason, home collection is necessary for some..

To the contrary of what another poster has written, I have nor said don't use X company, but just allerting sellers that using a courier who has a reputation for poor service this may result in poor feedback, at the same time paying a higher transit cost. On you reply you have confirmed your satisfaction of a supplier using the appropriate service.

Any courier may have the odd problem now and then, I had a parcel coming from Germany via DHL's European hub at Charles de Gaul airport, there was a mechanical failure at the hub which delayed the Express Delivery by 24 hours. However all credit to DHL once the packet got moving again they pulled out all the stops. My issue is where a company continually fails its customers. 

You don't have to use Ebay to get a courier with a reputation for poor service, a very well known box-shifter sent me railway modelling goods via Yodel who finding me at work lobbed the box over a six foot high fence and left it sitting on the back patio unprotected on a day of heavy rain. The box was like a sponge, only the bubble-wrap inside stopped the goods from being ruined. What was even more galling was that I'd specified Royal Mail as the courier (you have various options on the website) but the seller had chosen to ignore that. Very much a case I suspect of some carriers are OK in some areas, some not, just very irritating when a seller 70 miles away changes your delivery method to one that happens to be poor in your area, when given I live here it's a case  of I know who works well locally and who doesn't.

You don't have to use Ebay to get a courier with a reputation for poor service, a very well known box-shifter sent me railway modelling goods via Yodel who finding me at work lobbed the box over a six foot high fence and left it sitting on the back patio unprotected on a day of heavy rain. The box was like a sponge, only the bubble-wrap inside stopped the goods from being ruined. What was even more galling was that I'd specified Royal Mail as the courier (you have various options on the website) but the seller had chosen to ignore that. Very much a case I suspect of some carriers are OK in some areas, some not, just very irritating when a seller 70 miles away changes your delivery method to one that happens to be poor in your area, when given I live here it's a case  of I know who works well locally and who doesn't.

Thanks for your contribution, I have not mentioned the courier as I believe there are two or more which fit this catagory. You have every right to complain about the service you have received, more importantly, would you want the goods you are sending out treated this way ? And its not the first time I have heard about non RM couriers acting this way

However more often than not, in practice these couriers do try to see if they can leave goods with neighbours, we have in the past both been asked to take in goods for others and have had packets left elsewhere, which I would guess is the norm. 

However the point of this thread is to get those who sell items (this for the non business woulde mean eBay sellers) to think about the service they provide to those who bought their items. Simple answer is what level of feedback would you leave if you had the opportunity ? In the future if you had a choice of 2 suppliers would you stay with this one

Sadly as it happens I have 2 more packets rushing (limping) their way to me using the same errant carrier, both bought 5 days ago, neither anywhere near being delivered. I guess they may hit their outside estimate of 5 days, but yet again totally failed with their minimum estimate of 3 days. Their own advertising states 3 to 5 days delivery, a bit like the internet providers who used to advertise maximum speeds which in reality were unobtainable to most users.

Edited by hayfield

• RMweb Gold

I explicitly request sellers NOT to use Royal Mail, and have given neutral feedback sometimes when they have.

Your the buyer, unless your paying specifically for Royal Mail, your only choice is what the seller offers in the auction.

changing the terms of the sale, after auction is closed is breach of contract, and if you damaged the sellers reputation your exposing yourself to a claim, and threatening is blackmail, should the seller be equally tough minded as yourself, you should be prepared that someday your immovable force might meet the unstoppable object. Whilst you might not win, it would be equally unpleasant. Fighting walruses only entertains those watching and neither will win the fight.

Certainly if you tried that with me, i’d just cancel the sale and block you, as either way I know your going to trash feedback.. so I’ve nothing to lose and a lot of time and hassle I would save, your not the only buyer on the site.

Sounds harsh, but I’ve been through the Grinder too many times on that site to be bothered dealing with stuff like this.

You may not realise but ebay will remove feedback if it’s proven unreasonable and they ding buyers records (which they keep internal), at which if there’s more than (a very very low %) of complaints about a buyer, they will restrict the buyers ability to buy too. More buyers get kicked off than you would think, when I review my banned list.. you can see them and >50% of those on my banned list are removed from ebay too.

Sellers complain ebay doesn’t have their back, they silently do, obviously they want to encourage buyers, so shouting out %’s banned isn’t good, but it clearly happens.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

The problem is that any delivery service can have problems, often with no consistency across the country due to the way local agents are used.

Seller reputation only suffers if the buyer leaves poor feedback for circumstances beyond the sellers control. Any buyer that behaved unreasonably like that would be quickly blocked and/or reported.

Your the buyer, unless your paying specifically for Royal Mail, your only choice is what the seller offers in the auction.

changing the terms of the sale, after auction is closed is breach of contract, and if you damaged the sellers reputation your exposing yourself to a claim, and threatening is blackmail, should the seller be equally tough minded as yourself, you should be prepared that someday your immovable force might meet the unstoppable object. Whilst you might not win, it would be equally unpleasant. Fighting walruses only entertains those watching and neither will win the fight.

Certainly if you tried that with me, i’d just cancel the sale and block you, as either way I know your going to trash feedback.. so I’ve nothing to lose and a lot of time and hassle I would save, your not the only buyer on the site.

Sounds harsh, but I’ve been through the Grinder too many times on that site to be bothered dealing with stuff like this.

You may not realise but ebay will remove feedback if it’s proven unreasonable and they ding buyers records (which they keep internal), at which if there’s more than (a very very low %) of complaints about a buyer, they will restrict the buyers ability to buy too. More buyers get kicked off than you would think, when I review my banned list.. you can see them and >50% of those on my banned list are removed from ebay too.

Sellers complain ebay doesn’t have their back, they silently do, obviously they want to encourage buyers, so shouting out %’s banned isn’t good, but it clearly happens.

A bit harsh I would say, if a buyer contacts me with a reasonable request, if I am able to oblige, why not. Some folk have very good reasons not wanting certain things. One request was can I pay at the end of the month, I did not have the heart to say no and the chap was very appreciative. 

As a buyer I don't think I have left negative feedback for years, and only once when the goods were received damaged (due to bad packing) and the seller tried to wash their hands of the issue have I.

Neither have I complained about a seller. At worst I leave an accurate remark and perhaps reduce the star rating. And I feel the star rating is a way the buyer can acknowledge good service

The problem is that any delivery service can have problems, often with no consistency across the country due to the way local agents are used.

Seller reputation only suffers if the buyer leaves poor feedback for circumstances beyond the sellers control. Any buyer that behaved unreasonably like that would be quickly blocked and/or reported.

Spot on, but why take a chance using a service with known service issues. All my point was reduce the chances of poor feedback by using a known reliable service.

A provider t5hat offers a 2 - 3 day service and hits the former  or a company which aims for a 3 - 5 day service and usually hits the latter, and is dearer to boot !!. But if they are your only option warn folk.

Spot on, but why take a chance using a service with known service issues. All my point was reduce the chances of poor feedback by using a known reliable service.

A provider t5hat offers a 2 - 3 day service and hits the former  or a company which aims for a 3 - 5 day service and usually hits the latter, and is dearer to boot !!. But if they are your only option warn folk.

I'm broadly in agreement with that.

Yes, I buy off Ebay; if it's a specific item you're after, then you don't always have the option regarding the courier, but if it's a buy it now item with various sellers offering comparable prices including postage, then I will buy off the seller offering the method that works best for my area (assuming, of course, that the seller's feedback rating is A1).

It should be in both buyer's and seller's interests, whether on Ebay or not, to use a courier with a good reputation, both parties should have an interest in the goods being despatched and delivered in a timely but responsible manner, and in A1 condition. And there's part of the problem, I think. Sellers, whether you like it or not, the delivery process comes under the heading of customer service, where I'm sure many sellers would prefer to pretend that customer service ends once the item leaves them. It doesn't, which is why use of a good, responsible carrier is essential, not someone who is cheap and has a poor reputation.

• RMweb Gold

A bit harsh I would say, if a buyer contacts me with a reasonable request, if I am able to oblige, why not. Some folk have very good reasons not wanting certain things. One request was can I pay at the end of the month, I did not have the heart to say no and the chap was very appreciative. 

As a buyer I don't think I have left negative feedback for years, and only once when the goods were received damaged (due to bad packing) and the seller tried to wash their hands of the issue have I.

Neither have I complained about a seller. At worst I leave an accurate remark and perhaps reduce the star rating. And I feel the star rating is a way the buyer can acknowledge good service

Maybe,

But on a £20-£40 item with free shipping, it’s not worth the hassle.

I mentioned earlier Hermes is cheap, but not only that it’s easy.

For Shutl I have 1 click to pay & print a label, and despatch is 1 scan taking less than a second, from a wide selection of corner shops and finally the tracking is automatically in the listing for the buyer.. all for £2.97.

For RM.. I’ve to manually write a label, face a much larger queue at the one PO, who weigh every parcel, stamp and label each, then when I get home I have to reconcile every Postcode to a listing and manually enter any tracking details... at £3.95.

When I have 20+ parcels to post you can imagine the queues and sour faces I get when I left the window, in an exercise that can take upwards of 30 mins, when the corner shop can scan 20 items in under a minute, costs me £20 less overall and collectively saves me am hour of time. Trundling down to the PO for one awkward customer isn’t worth the hassle to me.

I'm broadly in agreement with that.

Yes, I buy off Ebay; if it's a specific item you're after, then you don't always have the option regarding the courier, but if it's a buy it now item with various sellers offering comparable prices including postage, then I will buy off the seller offering the method that works best for my area (assuming, of course, that the seller's feedback rating is A1).

It should be in both buyer's and seller's interests, whether on Ebay or not, to use a courier with a good reputation, both parties should have an interest in the goods being despatched and delivered in a timely but responsible manner, and in A1 condition. And there's part of the problem, I think. Sellers, whether you like it or not, the delivery process comes under the heading of customer service, where I'm sure many sellers would prefer to pretend that customer service ends once the item leaves them. It doesn't, which is why use of a good, responsible carrier is essential, not someone who is cheap and has a poor reputation.

Thank you for taking the time to both read and understand the thread, and I wholeheartedly agree with you that (sorry for slight editiing ) 

1 in both buyer's and seller's interests to use a courier with a good reputation,

2 both parties have an interest in the goods being dispatched and delivered in a timely but responsible manner, and in A1 condition.

Using a substandard carrier can cause problems, late delivery is one aspect, items left in unsuitable places with the potential of being stolen and or damaged.

Maybe,

But on a £20-£40 item with free shipping, it’s not worth the hassle.

I mentioned earlier Hermes is cheap, but not only that it’s easy.

For Shutl I have 1 click to pay & print a label, and despatch is 1 scan taking less than a second, from a wide selection of corner shops and finally the tracking is automatically in the listing for the buyer.. all for £2.97.

For RM.. I’ve to manually write a label, face a much larger queue at the one PO, who weigh every parcel, stamp and label each, then when I get home I have to reconcile every Postcode to a listing and manually enter any tracking details... at £3.95.

When I have 20+ parcels to post you can imagine the queues and sour faces I get when I left the window, in an exercise that can take upwards of 30 mins, when the corner shop can scan 20 items in under a minute, costs me £20 less overall and collectively saves me am hour of time. Trundling down to the PO for one awkward customer isn’t worth the hassle to me.

If you are running a commercial venture then other aspects come into play, I can then understand you must make business decisions. But when things go wrong time and money is wasted in resolving the matter. I am not saying only use the Royal Mail, on the other hand I do see customers walk up to the counter with large Royal Mail bags and leave parcels behind the counter without queuing or paying, no idea of the service etc. On the other hand if there are good alternatives use them, but it is far more important for a business to have a reliable postal system than the average eBay seller moving on unwanted items

• RMweb Gold

If you are running a commercial venture then other aspects come into play, I can then understand you must make business decisions. But when things go wrong time and money is wasted in resolving the matter. I am not saying only use the Royal Mail, on the other hand I do see customers walk up to the counter with large Royal Mail bags and leave parcels behind the counter without queuing or paying, no idea of the service etc. On the other hand if there are good alternatives use them, but it is far more important for a business to have a reliable postal system than the average eBay seller moving on unwanted items

That’s part my issue, it’s not commercial.

My day job flies me all over Europe, I can be gone days on end (my posts here are often from some airport hotel, and often random hours).

The sales is my late fathers collection, some 2000 items I’ve had to clear in my personal time in the last year. In between job, family and wanting hobby time too.

That’s why I have a tight ship when it comes to getting things out of the door, the time taken last year was horrendous (imagine finding 2000 boxes for 2000 items, then testing,cleaning, photographing, listing, wrapping, labelling and shipping, feedback and reconciling tracking numbers).. but it was a personal decision for a personal collection, I could never just box it to a shop, but after a year I fully appreciate the work they do... it took me 4 hours last Sunday to get 45 items out of the door... and that’s just post sale. The rush is around being the executor, it needs to be done within the tax year to avoid a million other hours on paperwork... 2018 is about modelling trains for me once again !

Edited by adb968008

11 items an hour is so quick !! plus selling 2000 items a mammoth task. I sincerely hope that the estate is compensating you for the work done. But I understand one thing  is to help out other family members. Another is generating increased taxation for the revenue, but that's another story Very condemnable in assisting the beneficiaries, good luck  

But the choice of courier is not beyond the seller's control...

And I will choose what works for me. If the local agent in the buyers area is a no hoper then that needs to be taken up with the courier company, not the seller.

Spot on, but why take a chance using a service with known service issues. 

ALL of the courier services have known, and documented, service issues, almost always down to the "last mile". Just search the forums. That's why we have names such as Link (now defunct), Nodel,  My Herpes, Parcel Farce, etc., ...

I've seen people claim 15% failure rate using Royal Mail, so where does that leave your argument?

Anyone complaining about delivery service performance will get short shrift, whether I am wearing my business or personal hats.

• RMweb Gold

11 items an hour is so quick !! plus selling 2000 items a mammoth task. I sincerely hope that the estate is compensating you for the work done. But I understand one thing is to help out other family members. Another is generating increased taxation for the revenue, but that's another story Very condemnable in assisting the beneficiaries, good luck

Well, There’s food for thought there.

No one else in The family knows, understands, appreciates model railways, well my 7 year old does..

Whilst I too have my own considerable collection, which drives the question, who sorts my stuff out should the need be ?

I might not be the only person with that question, but I have felt the consequence in considerable hours of my time this year... the best help I’ve had all year was limited to help getting to /from the post office.. no one round me here could put a model on the track. I can see why a shop is the only option for many finding themselves in such an unintended spot.

However from me, next week it should be pretty much job done bar paperwork to the accountant. Whilst sad circumstance, the year has brought back many memories, and it’s been hard work, but somewhat pleasurable to do, i’d consider to help someone else do it, but maybe not quite as large a job to be solo on.

Edited by adb968008

And I will choose what works for me. If the local agent in the buyers area is a no hoper then that needs to be taken up with the courier company, not the seller.

So I take it you agree that we should not accept substandard performance ?

ALL of the courier services have known, and documented, service issues, almost always down to the "last mile". Just search the forums. That's why we have names such as ###### Link (now defunct), Nodel,  My Herpes, Parcel Farce, etc., ...

I've seen people claim 15% failure rate using Royal Mail, so where does that leave your argument?

Anyone complaining about delivery service performance will get short shrift, whether I am wearing my business or personal hats.

Those with tracking services certainly show up where the issues are, not necessarily the last mile but the last leg of the journey

Some may claim that figure of 15%, but if it were that high we would be getting 1/7th of our mail disappear. I have had only 2 items gone missing with the Royal Mail in 12 years, and quite often those reporting losses seem to think in a lot of cases its dishonesty by the buyer. And its not the odd late delivery, but constant poor performance. If a company claims most packets are delivered between 3 to 5 days, you would expect a range of deliveries within that time frame. If they are constantly missing this target then they should either do something about it or change their advertising. Meanwhile their main competitor is hitting a range between 2 to 3 days, and in many cases cheaper.

If a company sets out service standards, then continually misses them why should you chastise a customer who complains ? To be quite honest both Post Office Counters and Royal Mail have really upped their game over the past few years, like wise has other couriers. As I said one courier who was delivering my phone sent me a real time phone application where I could track my delivery and get an delivery time which was constantly being updated

I would have thought if wearing a business hat you would be interested in that your goods are arriving on time and intact, unless you are a delivery driver where I would hope professional pride would be the main driver .

Well, There’s food for thought there.

No one else in The family knows, understands, appreciates model railways, well my 7 year old does..

Whilst I too have my own considerable collection, which drives the question, who sorts my stuff out should the need be ?

I might not be the only person with that question, but I have felt the consequence in considerable hours of my time this year... the best help I’ve had all year was limited to help getting to /from the post office.. no one round me here could put a model on the track. I can see why a shop is the only option for many finding themselves in such an unintended spot.

However from me, next week it should be pretty much job done bar paperwork to the accountant. Whilst sad circumstance, the year has brought back many memories, and it’s been hard work, but somewhat pleasurable to do, i’d consider to help someone else do it, but maybe not quite as large a job to be solo on.

Having recently moved house I have realised how many items I have collected, now they have come out of storage I am in the process of giving my collection a savage pruning and reinvesting the proceeds into less but more valuable items, mainly as I have joined the 0 gauge section of my local club, plus I am buying the tools I have often hankered after

The items I am keeping I think I will leave a brief description, this may assist those disposing of my items.

However with instructions to get a valuation from a trader as to what the items are worth for probate (if I go after the wife) but instructions to my son in law of how to maximise their value

Good luck and have fun sorting your own stuff out. I have a friend who sold his friends collection when he moved. Quite a few thousand went to a local charity plus enough for his friend to have a good foreign holiday on top. He admitted it was very hard work though